pink, Black's. Craft's, Assiscunk, Itancoeus, and
Pensauken Creeks, branches of the Delaware
Iiiver. Soil principally alluvial.
Burlington Cit.g. N. J., Burlington co. A port
of entry on the E. bank of the Delaware, en-
circled by a small stream so as to form an island.
It is regularly laid out with streets intersecting
each other at right angles. The bank of the
river is a beautiful grassy plain, bordered by ele-
gant dwellings. The Camden and Amboy Rail-
road passes through it.
Burlington, N. Y., Otsego co. This town is
watered by Butternut and Wharton Creeks. Its
surface is rolling, and soil good. 12 miles W.
from Cooperstown, and 72 from Albany.
Burlington, 0., c. h. Lawrence co. On the N.
bank of the Ohio River, at the southern extrem-
ity of the state. Sawing and various manufac-
tures are carried on by steam power.
Burlington, Pa., Bradford co. Sugar Creek and
its branches water this town. Surface hilly; soil
gravelly loam. 144 miles N. from Harrisburg.
Burlington, Vt. Port of entry on Lake Cham-
plain, and shire town of Chittenden co. 3S miles
W. N. W. from Montpelier. Population in 18-30,
3525; 1840, 4271; 1850, 7505. This beautiful
town, is the largest in the state, and one of the
most delightful for situation in the United States.
It is built on the E. shore of the lake, about op-
posite its widest part, where it makes up between
two points in a kind of bay with a regularly-
curving shore. The site of the town rises grad-
ually as it recedes from the water for a distance
of aniile or more, until it attains an elevation of
281 feet from the surface of the lake. Over the
whole extent of this fair declivity the town is
spread, presenting a fine appearance as it is ap-
proached or passed upon water. The view of
the lake, and of the near and distant scenery,
which is had from the more elevated parts of
the place, from the windows and roofs of the
dwellings, and especially from the dome of the
university, which stands on the height of land,
presents features of natural loveliness and gran-
deur not surpassed by those of any other situa-
tion occupied by a populous town in the United
States. The lake is here about 10 miles wide,
and lies in view, to the N. and S., almost as far
as the eye can reach. Beyond its western shore
rise the Adirondack Mountains of New York,
to the height, in some parts of their majestic
outline, of 5000 and 6000 feet. The eastern ho-
rizon, likewise, is bounded by the Green Moun-
tain range, with its two most elevated summits,
4000 feet high.
The streets are regularly laid out, running
from the lake shore E., with others running N.
and S., intersecting them at right angles, and
dividing the whole surface into regular squares.
There is a public square near the centre, on
which is situated the Court House, and around it
some of the principal hotels, stores, banks, offices,
&,c. The town is handsomely built throughout,
and there are a number of elegant private man-
sions with beautiful grounds and gardens. Sev-
eral of the church edifices are fine specimens of
architectural taste. The finest are the Calvin-
istic Congregational Church, after a pure Grecian
model; the Unitarian Congregational Church,
of brick, with a lofty spire; and the Episcopal
Church, which is of stone,, in the Gothic style.
For a notice of the University of Vermont,
which is located here, see Colleges.
As connected with Burlington may be men-
tioned the village of Winooski Falls, which is
situated on both sides of the Winooski River,
about 2 miles N. E. of the town. The portion
of the village which is on the N. side of the river
is in Colchester. A substantial covered bridge
connects the two sides of the river. The water
power at these falls is sufficient for propelling
almost any amount of machinery. Several large
manufacturing establishments have been erected
here, consisting of cotton and woollen mills, a
foundery and machine shop, an extensive flour
mill, saw mills, &c. Some of these manufac-
tories were consumed bv fire in the winter of
The harbor of Burlington is the best on Lake
Champlain, and a larger number of the vessels
employed in the lake navigation are owned here
than in any other place. The government has
erected a substantial breakwater here for the pro-
tection of the harbor from the west winds.
On Juniper Island, 4 miles from the harbor,
a light-honse is erected. A great amount of
goods arc landed at the wharves in Burlington,
and the mercantile traffic of the place is large,
and must continue to increase. Steamboats stop
here on their daily trips from Whitehall, N. Y.,
to St. John's in Canada, whence there is daily
steam communication to Montreal. Railroads
extend from Burlington E. to Boston, 248 miles;
W. to Ogdensburg, 163 miles; S. to Whitehall,
91 miles ; and N. to Montreal, 91 miles, with the
exception of 9 miles by steamboat from La
Burnham, Me., Waldo co. 37 miles N. E.
from Augusta, and about 30 N. W. from Belfast.
It is bounded S. W. by Sebasticook River, and
E. by Troy. Incorporated 1824.
Burns, N. Y., Alleghany co. Drained by Cau-
seraga Creek. Surface uneven; soil of good
quality. 237 miles W. from Albany.
Burnside, Pa. A township of Clearfield co. 156
miles N. W. from Harrisburg.
Burnsville, N. C., c. h. Yancey co. 200 miles
W. from Raleigh.
Burrillville, Providence co. This town was tak-
en from Gloucester in 1806. It is finely watered
by Branch River, with many branches; one
branch of which rises in Alum Pond, partly in
this town and partly in Douglas, Mass. This
river is an important tributary to the Blackstone.
Manufacturing villages are scattered over this
large town in almost every direction. The face
of the town is rough, but the soil is adapted to
grazing, and produces large quantities of beef,
pork, butter, cheese, &c. Herring and Eddy's
Ponds are pleasant sheets of water.
Burton, N. Y., Cattaraugus co. The Alleghany
River and some of its tributaries water this town.
The surface is uneven, and there is quite a vari-
ety of soil. The New York and Erie Railroad
passes thJ-ough it. 15 miles S. E. from Ellieott-
ville, and 300 S. of W. from Albany.
Bushlcill, Pa., Northampton co. Bushkill Creek
waters this town. The surface is hilly, and the
soil tolerably fertile.
BushneWs Basin, N. Y., Monroe co. On the
Erie Canal. 217 miles W. by N. from Albany.
Bushwick, N. Y., King's co. Watered by New-
town Creek. Surface hilly; soil, with good cul-
tivation, productive. 3 miles E. from the city
of Brooklyn, and 148 S. from Albany.
Bushkirk's Bridge, N. Y., Cambridge, Wa3h-