Chester, N. J., Burlington co. Rancocus, Pen-
sauken, and Pompeston Creeks, and the Swedes
branch of the Delaware River, water this town.
Surface level; soil sandy, hut productive. 9
miles S. W. from Mount Holly.
Chester, N. J., Morris co. Black River, and
some streams flowing into the W. branch of the
Raritan, water this town. Surface undulating,
with the exception of one isolated mountain ;
soil loamy. 50 miles N. by E. from Trenton.
Chester, N. Y., Warren co. Watered by the
Hudson River and some of its branches, by
Schroon Lake, which lies oil its N. E. boundary,
and by two small lakes contained within its limits.
The surface is hilly and mountainous; the soil is
productive in the valleys. 18 miles N. W. from
Caldwell, and 180 miles N. from Albany.
Chester, N. Y., Orange co. 102 miles S. by W.
from Albany. Situated on the Erie Railroad.
An extensive cattle market.
Chester County, Pa., c. h. at Westchester. In
the S. E. corner of the state. Watered by Bran-
dywine and French Creeks and the head branches
of Elk River. Surface hilly and mountainous in
the W. portion ; soil diversified, but mostly pro-
ductive. The Columbia and Philadelphia Rail-
road traverses this county.
Chester, Pa., c. h. Delaware co. This place,
called Upland until 1701, is, perhaps, the oldest
settlement in the state, having been founded long
before the grant of William Penn. It lies on the
W. bank of the Delaware River, 94 miles E. S. E.
from Harrisburg, and 14 S. W.from Philadelphia.
Chester, Pa., Wayne co. A township on the
W. bank of the Delaware River.
Chester District, S. C., c. h. at Chesterville, shire
town. N. W. part. Surface pleasantly varied.
Chester, S. C., c. h. Chester district. On the di-
viding ridge between the waters of Broad and Wa-
teree Rivers. 57 miles N. by W. from Columbia.
Chester, Yt., Windsor co. Williams River is
formed in this township, by the union of three con-
siderable branches. The surface is considerably
diversified with hills and valleys, but the soil is
generally good. The timber is mostly hard
wood, with some hemlock, spruce, and pine.
There are a variety of minerals found here.
There are two villages, called the North and
South village. The settlement was commenced
in 1764, by people from Woodstock, Ct., and
Worcester and Malden, Ms. 16 miles S. W.
from Windsor, and 79 S. from Montpelier. The
Rutland Railroad between Boston and Burling-
ton passes through this handsome town.
Chesterfield, Ms., Hampshire co. This is a
mountainous township, having the N. branch of
the Westfield River passing through its whole
extent. The soil is rough, but excellent for
grazing. Beryl and emeralds are found here.
The Westfield River, at this place, has worn into
the solid rock, in places, nearly 30 feet in depth,
and may be traced from the bridge nearly 60
rdds, appearing as if cut out by human hands. 11
miles W. N. W. from Northampton, and 101 W.
N. W. from Boston.
Chesterfield, N. H., Cheshire co. The land is
mostly upland, well adapted for grazing and In-
dian corn. Cat's Bane Brook is a stream of great
importance. Spo(ford's Lake is a beautiful col-
lection of water; it contain 526 acres, and is fed
by springs in its bosom. Its waters are clear and
pure, its bed being a white sand. There is an
island in this lake, of 6 acres. Erom the E. side
of the town issues a stream, called Partridge's
Brook. West River Mountain lies in this town
and Hinsdale. Chesterfield has three villages :
the principal is situated near the centre of the
town, 3 miles E. from Connecticut River. 11
miles S. W. from Keene, by which it is connected
by railroad, and 62 S. W. from Concord.
Chesterfield, N. Y., Essex co. On the shore of
Lake Champlain, and watered by the Au Sable
River and several small lakes, the principal of
which are Auger and Butternut. The surface is
hilly and mountainous ; soil, mostly sandy loam.
Chesterfield, N. J., Burlington co. Situated on
the E. side of the Delaware River, and drained
by Crosswick's and Black Creeks. Surface level;
soil a mixture of sand, clay, and loam.
Chesterfield District, S. C., c. h. at Chesterfield.
On the northern border, between Lynch's Creek
and the Great Pedee. Drained through the centre
by Black Creek. Sterile, except on thp margins
of the streams.
Chesterfield, S. C., c. h. Chesterfield district. On
Thompson's Creek, a branch of Great Pedee
River. 105 miles N. N. E. from Columbia.
Chesterfield County, Ya., c. h. Chesterfield. E.
central. In the W. angle, between the Appo-
mattox and James Rivers. Surface uneven. The
Richmond and Petersburg and the Richmond and
Danville Railroads pass through it.
Chesterfield, Va., c. h. Chesterfield co. On the
N. branch of Swift Creek, a tributary of the Ap-
pomattox. 10 miles S. by W. from Richmond.
Chestertown, Md., Kent co. On the W. side of
Chester River, 30 miles above its mouth. 54
miles N. E. from Annapolis. A branch of the
Maryland University is located here, called
Washington College. See Colleges.
Chesterville, Me., Franklin co. An excellent
township, on Wilson's Stream. 24 miles N. E,
Chestnut Hill, Pa., Monroe co. Head's Creek
waters this town. Surface hilly in some parts.
Chestnut Hill, Pa., Philadelphia co. 9 miles
W. from Philadelphia, in Germantown. A
pleasant place of summer resort for the citizens
Chicago. City, lake port, and shire town of
Cook co., Is. Population in 1850, 30,000.
This place is situated on the W. shore, and to-
wards the S. end of Lake Michigan, at the point
where the river of the same name enters the lake.
The northern and southern branches of this river
unite about three quarters of a mile back from the
lake, forming a harbor from 50 to 75 yards wide,
and from 15 to 25 feet deep. At its mouth it
spreads out into a bay, with about 9 feet depth of
water. The city is built on both sides of this
bay and harbor, on a site which is almost as level
as a floor, but sufficiently elevated to be secure
from the highest floods. Piers have been con-
structed, extending into the lake from both sides
of the mouth of the river, to prevent the forma-
tion of a bar from the accumulation of sand.
These works were built by the United States;
and also the light-house, and the fortification,
named Fort Dearborn, which are upon a strip of
land between the city and the lake shore, belong-
ing to the government.
This place has had a rapid growth, and from
its position in the great line of communication
between the E. and W., is destined to become a
large city. In 1832 it contained only 5 small
stores, and 250 inhabitants. Only 4 vessels had