manufacturing, and mechanical progress. The
soil is various, but generally strong and fertile.
The surface is not very uneven, though there
are several elevated and pleasant hills. Nobscot
and Bare Hills command extensive and rich views.
In the S. and S. E. parts are several pleasant
ponds. The principal stream is Sudbury River.
Saxonville, in this town, is one of the most beau-
tiful and flourishing villages in New England.
Long Pond, which supplies Boston with water,
lies partly in this town. The Framingham
Academy, in the centre village, is a useful and
popular seminary. 21 miles W. from Boston,
and 23 E. from Worcester.
Francestown, N. H., Hillsboro' co. The two S.
branches of the Piscataquog rise in this town.
Pleasant and Haunted Ponds are considerable
collections of water. The land is uneven, and
in many parts stony, but the soil is warm and
moist. The highest land is Crotehed Mountain,
the summits of which are more than 600 feet
above the level of the Common, in the centre of
the town. One of the summits is covered with
wood ; the other is almost a solid ledge of rocks.
There is in the easterly part of this town a very
extensive and valuable quarry of soapstone, re-
sembling, when polished, verd antique marble.
In the N. part good black lead, and in the S.
rock crystal have been found. Garret and soap-
stone are also found here. The local situation
of this town is very eligible for business. It
derived its name from Frances, the wife of the
last Governor Wentworth. 12 miles N. W. from
Amherst, and 28 S. W. from Concord.
Franconia, N. H., Grafton co. This town is
mountainous. Its streams are branches of the
Lower Amonoosuck River. Here are several
ponds ; one of which, called Eerrin's, is the source
of the middle branch of Pemigewasset River.
The mountains adjoining the Notch are called
Mounts Lafayette and Jackson. On the latter is
the celebrated Profile," or 14 Old Man of the
Mountain." It is situated on a peak of solid
rock, 1000 feet high, and almost perpendicular.
On this peak, Nature, in her wildest mood, ex-
hibits the profile of the human face. See Fashion-
able Resorts. The village in this place, lying in a
hollow, is remarkable for its cold weather. It
owes its rise and prosperity to the discovery and
working of a rich vein of granular magnetic iron
ore. First settlers, Captain Artemas Knight,
Lemuel Barnett, Zebedee Applebee, and others,
in 1774. 28 miles N. E. from Haverhill, and 95
N. from Concord.
Franconia, Pa., Montgomery co. This town
is watered by Indian, Pike, and Shippack Creeks,
and the N. E. branch of the Perkiomen Creek.
Surface level; soil red shale. 88 miles E. from
Frankford, N. Y., Sussex co. Papakating
Creek, a branch of the Wallkill River, waters
this town. Surface hilly on the W., but else-
where level; soil very productive, being based
upon lime and slate.
Frankford, Pa., Cumberland co. Watered by
Conedogwinit Creek and its branches. Blue
Mountain lies partly in the N. part of this town,
and McClure's Gap on the E. boundary; it
has also a sulphur spring near the centre.
Frankford, Pa., Oxford, Philadelphia co. On
Tacony Creek, which affords water power. 5
miles N. E. from Philadelphia, and 104 E. by S.
Frankfort, la., c. h. Clinton co. On the S.
fork of Wildcat Creek, N. N. W. from Indianap-
olis, 42 miles.
Frankfort, Ky., c. h. at Franklin co. Capital of
Frankfort, Me., Waldo co. An excellent town-
ship with two villages on the W. side of Penob-
scot River. It is the highest point to which ves-
sels can ascend during the icy season of the year.
12 miles below Bangor.
Frankfort, N. Y., Herkimer co. Situated 7
miles W. from Herkimer, and 87 W. N. W. from
Albany. The surface on the S. is broken and
hilly, but upon the N., in the valley of the Mo-
haw'k, are fertile meadows. The principal village
is situated on the S. side of this river, on the
line of the Erie Canal. There are manufacto-
ries here for making cotton and woollen goods,
and machinery, under a company incorporated in
1834, with a capital of $200,000.
Frankfort, 0., Wells township, Guernsey, lies
on the old road leading from Zanesville to
Wheeling, in Virginia, about 15 miles E. from
Frankfort, 0., Concord township, Ross co.
This town is pleasantly located on the N. fork of
Paint Creek, on elevated land, and occupies the
same spot of the old Indian town of Chillicothe.
Near here are several large mounds.
Franklin County, Aa., Russellville, shire town.
Bounded N. by the Tennessee River, separat-
ing it from Lauderdale co., E. by Lawrence co.,
S. by Marion co., and W. by Mississippi. Sur-
face hilly, and drained by Cedar, Bear, Little
Bear, and Spring Creeks ; soil fertile.
Franklin County, As., c. h. at Ozark. Bound-
ed N. by Washington and Madison counties, E.
by Johnson, S. by Scott, and W. by Crawford co.
The Arkansas River traverses the middle of
this county, from E. to W. Surface rough and
hilly ; soil fertile on the borders of the streams.
Franklin, Ct., New London co. Shetucket
River separates this town from Lisbon. The sur-
face of Franklin is uneven; the soil a gravelly
loam, more fit for grazing than tillage. There is
a woollen factory on Beaver Brook, a branch of
the Shetucket; but the chief business of the peo-
ple is rearing sheep, and other agricultural pur-
suits. 34 miles E. S. E. from Hartford.
Franklin County, Pa., c. h. at Appalachicola.
Incorporated in 1832. Bounded N. and E. by
Gadsden co., S. by the Gulf of Mexico, and W.
by Calhoun co. The Appalachicola River forms
part of its W. boundary. The land is low and
swampy, interspersed with numerous ponds. Soil
very fertile on the margins of the rivers. This
county embraces the islands of St. George and
Franklin County, Ga., c. h. at Carnesville. This
county was incorporated in 1788, and is bounded
N. E. by the Tugaloo, a head branch of the Sa-
vannah River, separating it from S. C., S. E. and S.
by Elbert and Madison counties, and W. by Hall
and Habersham counties. Drained by the N.
fork of Broad River. Surface hilly; soil pro-
Franklin County, Is., c. h. at Frankfort. This
county was incorporated in 1818, and is bounded
N. by Jefferson co., E. by Hamilton and Gal-
latin, S. by Williamson, and W. by Jackson and
Perry counties. Watered by Big Muddy River
and its tributaries, and the S. fork of Saline
Creek. Soil of good quality.