a level with the Connecticut, being much shorter
in its course, has a far more rapid descent to the
sea than the latter river. Hence the intervales
on its borders are less extensive, and the scenery
less beautiful, than on the Connecticut. It is,
however, a majestic river. Its width varies from
50 to 120 rods. The tide flows up to Haverhill,
a distance of 16 miles from the sea, and the
mouth of the river forms the harbor of Newbury -
port, the bar of which prevents the entrance of
vessels drawing more than 15 or 16 feet of water.
The name Merrimae signifies, in the Indian lan-
guage, a sturgeon, a species of fish which abounds
in the tide water.
Franklin, N. J., Gloucester co. Drained by
branches of Maurice and Great Egg Harbor
Rivers, and by Raccoon Creek. Surface level;
soil mostly sandy and poor. 15 miles S. E. from
Franklin, N. J., Bergen co. The surface of
this town is undulating; the soil mostly fertile,
being composed of gravel, sand, and loam, based
upon sandstone. 13 miles N. W. from Hack-
Franklin, N. J., Somerset co. Millstone and
Raritan Rivers, and Six Mile Run water this
town. Surface somewhat uneven, and on the
S. W. hilly. 7 miles S. E. from Somerville.
Franklin, N. J., Warren co. Watered by Po-
hatcong and Musconetcong Creeks.
Franklin County, N. Y., c. h. at Malone. Formed
from Clinton co. in 1808. Bounded N. by Lower
Canada, E. by Clinton and Essex, S. by Essex
and Hamilton, and W. by St. Lawrence co. AVa-
tered by numerous lakes and ponds, the prin-
cipal of which are the Upper and Lower Saranac
Lakes, and by Chateaugay, Salmon, Trout, Deer,
St. Regis, and Racket Rivers, flowing into the
St. Lawrence, which washes its N. W. corner,
and also by the Saranac, flowing into Lake
Champlain. Surface chiefly level on the N., but
hilly and mountainous in the middle and S.
The soil is diversified, but much of it very fertile.
The mountains abound in the best of iron ore, and
'.he surface is heavily timbered in some parts.
Franklin, N. Y., Delaware co. Oleout Creek
*nd its branches water this town. The soil is
fertile loam. 12 miles AY. from Delhi, and 93
S. W. from Albany.
Franklin, N. Y., Franklin co. Drained by
Salmon and Saranac Rivers and some of their
tributaries. It also contains several small lakes.
The surface is hilly and mountainous; soil vari-
ous. 25 miles S. E. from Malone, 187 N. from
Franklin County, 0., c. h. Columbus. Situ-
ated nearly in the centre of the state, having
Delaware co. on the N., portions of Licking and
Fairfield on the E., Pickaway on the S., and
Madison on the AAr. It is 23 miles square. The
surface is generally level, and in many parts low
and wet, better adapted to grazing than to rais-
ing grain. The county is drained, however, by
several streams, upon the banks of which is much
arable land and many finely-cultivated farms.
The Scioto River passes through the centre of
the county, from N. to S. The AVhetstone River,
and other small streams and creeks, running
nearly in the same direction, drain other portions
of the county.
This county was first settled in 1797. It was
constituted a county, being taken from the then
existing county of Ross, March 30, 1803. Some-
thing has since been taken from its area, in con-
stituting the surrounding counties, reducing it to
its present limits. The Ohio Canal passes across
the S. E. -corner of the county, and a branch
from it is brought to the centre at Columbus.
The national road passes through it from E. to
W. This tract was once the residence of the
Wyandot Indians, who had a large town on the
site of the city of Columbus, and cultivated ex-
tensive fields of com on the river bottoms on the
opposite side of the Scioto.
Franklin, O., a township of Portage co., in the
N. part of the state. The Cuyahoga River passes
diagonally through it, affording much valuable
water power, which is improved for manufactur-
ing purposes at the two villages of Franklin
Mills and Carthage. The Mahoning Canal
passes through the township, falling into the
Cuyahoga for a part of the distance. Brady's
Pond, so called, is a small but beautiful sheet
of wrater, about 2^ miles from Franklin Mills,
from the fine whi te sand on the shores of which
glass is manufactured. About 30 miles S. E.
Franklin Mills, O., Portage co. At the falls
of Cuyahoga River, and on the Pennsylvania
and Ohio Canal. At these falls there is a great
water power. Much business is done here. 134
miles N. E. from Columbus.
Franklin County, Pa., c. h. at Chambersburg.
Incorporated in 1784. Bounded N. by Perry
and Cumberland counties, E. by Adams co., S.
by Maryland, and AY. by Bedford co. It is
drained by Conecocheague and Conedogwinit
Creeks and their branches, affording great hy-
draulic power. South and Tuscarora or Cove
Mountains are the only considerable elevations.
Soil very fertile, being based upon limestone.
White marble is found here, and iron ore is
Franklin, Pa., c. h. Venango co. On the S.
side of French Creek, at its junction with Alle-
ghany River. Steamboats come up to this place
from the Ohio. There is a communication by
river and canal to Lake Erie. 210 miles W. N.
AV. from Harrisburg.
Franklin, Pa., York co. Drained by a branch
of Bermudian Creek. 4 miles S. from Har-
Franklin, Pa., Adams co. Conewago and
Conecocheague Creeks, and some branches of
Marsh Creek, water this town. Surface level;
soil red shale.
Franklin, Pa., Fayette co. Watered by the
Youghiogeny River and Redstone Creek. It has
a hilly surface and loamy soil. 9 miles N. from
Franklin, Pa., Greene co. Ten Mile Creek
and its branches wrnter this town. Surface un-
dulating ; soil loam.
Franiklin, Pa., Huntingdon co. Watered on
the S. boundary by the AV. branch of the Little
Juniata River, and drained by Warrior's Run and
Spruce Creek. Surface mountainous; soil cal-
Franklin County, Te., c. h. at Winchester. Bound-
ed N. by Bedford and Coffee counties, E. by Marion
co., S. by Alabama, and AV. by Lincoln co. Wa-
tered by Duck River, and Rock, Elk, and Paint
Creeks. Surface rough and uneven, having Cum-
berland Mountain on its S. E. border; soil fertile.
Franklin, Te., c. h. Williamson co. On the S.
side of Harpeth River. 18 miles S. from Nashville.