separating it from Sumpter co. Surface hilly,
and drained by the Black Warrior or Tuscaloosa
River. Soil bordering on the rivers very fertile.
Greene County, As., c. h. at Gainsville. Bound-
ed N. by Missouri, E. by St. Francis River, sepa-
rating it from Missouri and Mississippi co., S.
by Poinsett co., and W. by Lawrence and Ran-
dolph counties. Surface level, and watered on
the W. by Cache River and its branches.
Greene County, Ga., c. h. at Greensboro'. Bound-
ed N. bv Clarke and Oglethorpe counties, E. by
Taliaferro, S. by Hancock co., and W. by the
Oconee River, separating it from Putnam and
Morgan counties. Surface slightly uneven; soil
Greene County, Is., c. h. at Carrollton. Incor-
porated in 1821. Bounded N. by Scott and Mor-
gan counties, E. by Macoupin, S. by Jersey co.,
and W. by the Illinois River, separating it from
Calhoun and Pike counties. Surface mostly
level, and drained by creeks flowing into the
Illinois River. Soil fertile.
Greene County, la., c. h. at Bloomfield. Bounded
N. by Clay and Owen counties, E. by Monroe
and Lawrence, S. by Martin and Davies, and W.
by Sullivan co. Drained by Eel River, the W.
fork of White River, and Richland Creek. Sur-
face mostly level; soil fertile.
Greene County, Ky., c. h. at Greensburg. Bound-
ed N. by Laurel and Marion counties, E. by Ca-
sey and Adair, S. by Adair and Barren, and W.
by Hart co. Surface undulating, and watered
by Green River and its branches; soil fertile.
Greene, Me., Kennebec co. Greene has several
ponds, but no good mill privileges. It lies on
the E. side of Androscoggin River. 6 miles
above Lewiston, and 22 S. W. from Augusta.
It is an excellent farming town. Incorporated
in 1788. ,
Greene County, Mi., c. h. at Leakesville. Bound-
ed N. by Wayne co., E. by Alabama, S. by Jack-
son, and W. by Perry co. Drained by Pascagoula
River and its branches. Soil sandy and sterile.
Greene County, Mo., c. h. at Springfield. Bound-
ed N. by Polk and Dallas counties, E. by Wright,
S. by Taney, and W. by Lawrence and Dade
counties. Watered by branches of Osage and
White Rivers. Surface hilly; soil chiefly fertile.
Greene, N. J., Sussex co. Watered by branches
of Pequest Creek, and by Hunt's and Grass
Ponds. Surface hilly and mountainous. 7 miles
S. W. from Newton.
Greene County. N. Y., c. h. at Catskill. Taken
from Albany and Ulster counties in 1800. It is
bounded N. by Albany co., E. by the Hudson
River, S. by Ulster, and W. by Delaware and
Schoharie counties. Watered by Catskill, Cox-
sackie and Schoharie Creeks. Surface hilly and
mountainous on the S. and W., being covered by
the Catskill Mountains, the highest peaks of
which are in this county. The soil of the moun-
tains is sterile, that of the lower lands and val-
leys very fertile.
Greene, N. Y., Chenango co. Chenango River
and some of its branches water this town, the
surface of which is hilly, and the soil mostly of
good quality. 20 miles S. W. from Norwich,
and 126 from Albany.
Green County, 0., c. h. at Xenia. Clark co.
bounds it on the N., Fayette on the E., Clinton
and Warren on the S., and Montgomery co. on
the W. Yellow Springs, a fashionable watering-
place, is found in this county. Little Miami and
Mad River, and numerous small streams, furnish
it with an abundant supply of water. It is set-
tled mostly by farmers, and is a very prosperous,
Greene County, Pa., c. h. at Wayriesburg. Bound-
ed N. by Washington co., E by the Monongahela
River, separating it from Fayette co., and S. and
W. by Virginia. Drained, by Ten Mile, Drunk-
ard's, Fish, and Wheeling Creeks. Surface rough
and mountainous ; soil fertile.
Greene County, Te., c. h. at Greenville. Bound-
ed N. by Hawkins and Sullivan counties, E. by
Washington co., S. by North Carolina and Union
co., and W. by Jefferson co. Watered by No-
lachucky River and Licking Creek. Surface
high and much diversified.
Greene County, Va., c. h. at Stanarrlsville.
Bounded N. E. by Madison, S. E. by Orange,
S. W. by Albemarle, and N. W. by Rockingham
co. Surface hilly ; soil productive.
Greene County, Wn., c. h. at Monroe. Bounded
N. by Dane and E. by Rock co., S. by Illinois,
and W. by Lafayette co. Drained by Peckaton-
akee River and Sugar Creek. A considerable
part of the surface is prairie land. Copper and
lead ores are found here.
Greenbrier County, Va., c. h. at Lewisburg.
Bounded N. by Nicholas and Pocahontas coun-
ties, E. by Alleghany, S. by Monroe, and W. by
Fayette co. Watered by Greenbrier and the
branches of Gauley River. Surface rough, ele-
vated, and mountainous.
Greenbush, township and village. N. Y., Rens-
selaer co. On the E. side of the Hudson, oppo-
site Albany. The village is the termin'as of the
Western Railroad from Boston to Albany, with,
which it connects by ferry. There is also a rail-
road communication with the city of New York
and with Troy. The township is hilly, with a
soil of elay loam, gravel, and sand.
Greenburg, N. Y., Westchester co. On the E.
side of the Hudson, and watered by Bronx and
Saw Mill Rivers. The surface is billy mT soil of
good quality. 5 miles W. from White Plains,
and 130 S. from Albany.
Green Castle, la., e. h. Putnam co. On high,
table land. 1 mile E. from the Walnut Fork
of Eel River, and 47 miles W. from Indianapolis.
Greenfield, la., c. h. Hancock co. Half a mile
W. from Brandywine Creek, and 20 miles E. from
Greenfield, Me., Hancock co. This town was
incorporated in 1834. It was No. 38 on the
Greenfield, Ms., c. h. Franklin co., is de-
lightfully situated on the W. bask of Con-
necticut River. It was formerly a part of
Deerfield, and was taken from it in 1753. Pre-
vious to that time it was called Green River.
Fall River passes the eastern border of the town
from the N., and falls into the Connecticut j.
Green River also, from the N.. passes through
the town, and meets the Deerfield. These rivers
afford the town a fine hydraulic power. The
surface is generally plain; it has some rising
grounds, but none abrupt. There are large inter-
vales on Green River, of superior excellence.
The other lands produce good crops of grain,
and afford excellent pasturage. The village of
Greenfield is situated on an elevated plain, on
the margin of Green River, and surrounded b J
beautiful intervale. The Greenfield Institute, a
seminary for young ladies, is in this town. 90