ductive. Two small streams afford the town
some water power. Its Indian name was Nor-
nottock. Hadley was a retreat for the celebrated
Goffe and Whalley, two of the judges who con-
demned Charles I. 88 miles W. from Boston.
Hadley, N. Y., Saratoga co. Situated at the
junction of Sacandaga and Hudson Rivers. A
branch of the Kayaderosseras Mountains crosses
this town. 26 miles N. from Ballston Spa, and
56 N. E. from Albany.
Haerlem, N. Y., New York co. 1h miles N.
from New York. See New York City.
Hagerstown, Md., c. h. Washington co. On the
W. bank of Antietam Creek. 101 miles N. W.
from Annapolis, and 26 N. W. from Frederick.
Hague, N. Y., Warren co. Bounded on the E.
by Lake George. The surface is broken by the
Kayaderosseras Mountains, which cover a large
part of the town. 28 miles N. from Caldwell,
and 90 N. N. E. from Albany.
Haim, Pa., Centre co. Watered by 2 small
creeks, which disappear among the crevices of
Limestone Rock. Surface mountainous ; soil
calcareous loam in the valleys. 19 miles E. from
Half Moon, N. Y., Saratoga co. Bounded on
the E. by the Hudson River. The surface is
mostly level; soil sandy loam and clay of good
quality. 15 miles S. E. from Ballston Spa, and
18 N. from Albany.
Half Moon, Pa., Centre co. Bald Eagle Creek
and Half Moon Run water this town. Surface
mountainous, a ridge of the Alleghany Moun-
tains forming the W. boundary; soil calcareous
loam in the valleys. 99 miles N. W. from Har-
Halifax, Ms., Plymouth co. Halifax was for-
merly part of Plympton, Middleboro', and Pem-
broke. Its Indian name was Monponsit. Two
branches of Taunton River, the Winetuxet and
another, give this town a water power. There
are 2 villages in the town, and several ponds,
which cover about 1700 acres. The Monponsit,
a small part of which lies in Hanson, is a beau-
tiful sheet of water, more than 2 miles long, and
half a mile wide. Pickerel have been taken
from this pond weighing more than 7 pounds
each. The Old Colony Railroad passes through
the town. 28 miles S. S. E. from Boston, and 9
N. W. from Plymouth.
Halifax County, N. C., c. h. a.t Halifax. Bounded
N. and E. by the Roanoke River, separating it
from Northampton and Bertie counties, S. by
Edgecombe and Nash, and W. by Warren co.
Watered by Roanoke River and Fishing Creek
and branches. Soil fertile.
Halifax, N. C., c. h. Halifax co. Situated on
the W. bank of Roanoke River, at the head of
sloop navigation, and 6 miles below the great
falls. 80 miles N. E. from Raleigh. A canal
round the falls renders the river navigable for
boats 130 miles above this place.
Halifax, Pa., Dauphin co. Located on the E.
bank of the Susquehanna River, and drained by
Armstrong Creek. Surface hilly, having Peter's
Mountain on the S.; soil red shale. 23 miles
N. from Harrisburg.
Halifax, Vt., Windham co. This township is
watered by North and Green Rivers. They are
Doth large and commodious mill streams. In
the branch of North River is a succession of cas-
cades, extending about 100 rods. The falls are
from 15 to 20 feet each. The surface is uneven,
but there are no mountains worthy of notice.
On the margin of North River is a cavern, called
Woodwards Cave, or Dun's Den. The soil is
generally of a good quality, well adapted to the
production of grass. The settlement was com-
menced in 1761, by Abner Rice, from Worcester
co., Ms. 125 miles S. from Montpelier, and 15
S. from Newfane.
Halifax County. Va., c. h. at Halifax. Bounded
N. by Staunton River, separating it from Camp-
bell and Charlotte counties, E. by Mecklenburg
co., S. by North Carolina, and W. by Pittsylva-
nia co. Watered by Dan and Bannister Rivers
and their tributaries. Soil fertile.
Halifax, Va., c. h. Halifax co. On the S. side
of Bannister River. 127 miles S. W. from
Hall County, Ga., c. h. at Gainesville. Bounded
N. by Habersham co., E. by Habersham and
Jackson, S. by Gwinnett, and W. by Forsyth and
Lumpkin counties. Watered on the W. border
by the Chattahoochee River, and N. W. by its
two head branches, the Sooque and Chestatee.
Surface hilly and mountainous; soil very fertile
in some portions.
Hallowell, Me., Kennebec co. This city is situ-
ated on both sides of the Kennebec River, between
Augusta and Gardiner, 2 miles below the former,
and 4 miles above the latter. The houses are
mostly on the W. side of the river. The streets
run parallel with the river, and the ground ascends
200 feet from the lower street or business part of
the city. On this street are numerous stores, con-
structed principally of brick. Most of the dwell-
ing houses are on the back, or elevated streets ;
they are built, as are the churches, with good taste,
and being surrounded by beautiful groves, make
a fine appearance. The varied views of the river,
of the neighboring towns, and of a fertile country
of hills and vales, presented from the high grounds
on each side of the village, furnish an exhibition
of scenery of uncommon beauty. Hallowell is
about 3 miles in width, aud extended back, on each
side of the river, 5 miles, but the part on the
eastern bank became, in 1850, the town of Chelsea.
Incorporated in 1771, and then included all the ter-
ritory of Augusta, and a part of Gardiner. From
this place the brave but traitorous Arnold inarched
on an expedition against Canada, in 1776.
There are 6 or 7 churches in Hallowell, of as
many different denominations. There exists a
flourishing academy here, which has held a preem-
inent rank ever since it was incorporated, in 1791..
About 4 miles from the village, and on the E.
side of the river, is the Togus Mineral Spring,'*
which, within a few years past, has become much
frequented by invalids and others seeking health,
or amusement and relaxation. The waters,
which are impregnated with sulphur, have been
found very efficacious. A spacious house of en-
tertainment has been erected near the spring,
which is often thronged in the summer mouths.
The principal public house, in the centre of Hal-
lowell, is the Hallowell House, which is a large*
and elegant granite building, furnishing every
Steamboats ply from this place to Portland and
Boston during the season of navigation. The:
Eastern Railroad, from Boston and Portland,
extends through it as far as Augusta. A num-
ber of vessels, owned here, are engaged in the
freighting business, and others run as packet*
to various places. Vessels drawing 9 feet a£