streets extend from it diagonally, towards the
four corners of the city. The streets, with the
exception of these four, all intersect each other at
right angles. They bear the names of the differ-
ent states of the Union.
The State House at Indianapolis is beautifully
located, in the centre of one of the 40 acre squares,
handsomely laid out and enclosed. It is one of
the most splendid buildings in the west. It is
180 feet long, 80 feet wide, and 40 feet high, to
the top of the cornice, and is surmounted with a
handsome dome. It is on the model of the Par-
thenon at Athens, with the omission of the col-
umns on the sides ; for which pilasters, 13 in
number, are substituted. On each front there is
a beautiful portico, with 10 Doric columns. The
two halls for the legislature are in the second
story, to which the entrance is through a hall and
rotunda in the centre. The Court House, which
was formerly occupied as the State House, is also
a handsome building. Some of the church edi-
fices are large and of fine appearance.
Indianapolis is the centre of a number of stage
routes from different sections of the west, and
is fast becoming a place of extensive business.
It is connected by railroad with Madison, on the
Ohio River, a distance of 86 miles; being by
this route about 150 miles from Cincinnati, and
about the same distance from Louisville, Ky.
The railroad will soon be completed to connect it
with Peru, on the Wabash and Erie Canal.
Indianola, la., c. h. Warren co.
Industry, Me., Eranklin co. This town borders
N. W. on Sandy River, and is a valuable tract of
land. It lies 32 miles N. W. from Augusta, and
is bounded S. W. by Earmington. Industry was
incorporated in 1803 : it has a pleasant village.
Ingham County, Mn., c. h. at Vevay. Incorpo-
rated in 1838. Bounded N. by Clinton and
Shiawassbe counties, E. by Livingston, S. by
Jackson, and W. by Eaton co. Watered by Pine,
Swampy, and Portage Lakes, and Red Cedar,
Willow, Mud, and Sycamore Creeks. Surface
mostly level, and soil fertile.
Ionia County, Mn., c. h. at Ionia. Bounded N.
by Montcalm, E. by Clinton, S. by Eaton and
Barry, and W. by Kent co. Drained by Grand
River and its tributaries. Surface slightly undu-
lating ; soil of excellent quality. »
Ionia, Mn., c. h. Ionia co. On both sides of
Grand River. 136 miles W. N. W. from Detroit.
Iowa City, Io. Capital of the state, and seat
of justice of Johnson co. It stands on the E.
bank of Iowa River, 88 miles N. by W. from Bur-
lington, and 50 miles W. from Davenport, these
towns being on the Mississippi. This place was
hunting ground for the Indian until 1839, when
it was, selected by the legislature to be the seat
of government. Within one year from that
time it contained between 500 and 700 in-
habitants, with two hotels, stores, mechanics'
shops, &c., and it has continued ever since rapidly
to increase. The first plateau from the river,
about 100 yards in width, is reserved as a public
promenade. There is then an elevation of about
12 feet, and a second elevation of about 18 feet,
upon which the city is built. Upon the brow of
this second natural terrace, Capitol Street is laid
out, 120 feet in width, and is intersected at right
angles by Iowa Avenue, of the same width. The
State House, on Capitol Street, and fronting Iowa
Avenue, is an elegant building, constructed of
‘birdseye marble,'' at a cost of about $120,000;
and is every way worthy of being the capitol of
a great and wealthy state, such as Iowa in the
future must become. It is 120 feet long by 60
feet wide, and two stories high above the base-
ment. It is of the Grecian Doric order of archi-
tecture, and is surmounted with a dome resting
on 22 Corinthian columns. Among the other
public buildings are the court house and jail,
and academy, and seven very handsome church
edifices. The location is a beautiful and healthy
one. By an act of the Iowa legislature, the
State University is to be located here.
The Davenport and Council Bluffs, and the
Dubuque and Keokuk Railroads will pass through
Iowa City. Steamboats frequently ascend the
river to this place. About a mile above the city
there is an excellent water power, which is im-
proved to drive a large merchant and custom
flouring mill, a saw mill, and other machinery.
Iowa County, Io., c. h. at Marengo. S. E. part.
Watered by the Iowa and branches.
Iowa County, Wn., c. h. at Mineral Point.
Bounded N. by the Wisconsin River, separating
it from Richland and Sauk counties, E. by Dane
co., S. by Lafayette, and W. by Grant co. The
N. part is drained by small tributaries of the
Wisconsin, and the S. part by Pekatonokee and
Eever Rivers. There are some fertile prairies in
this county, and lead and copper ores abound.
Ipswich, Ms., Essex co. This town was bought
by John Winthrop, Jr. in 1638, of an Indian sag-
amore, named Masconnomet, for 20 pounds. It
was first settled in 1633, and named after the
town of Ipswich, in England. Its Indian name
was Agawam, signifying a fishing station. Ipswich
is one of the shire towns of the county, a port of
entry, and a place long noted for its enterprise in
commerce and manufactures. Ipswich River pass-
es through the town, and flows into a bay of the
same name. The river affords a good water pow-
er, and at its mouth is an excellent harbor. The
surface is pleasantly interspersed with hills and
vales ; the soil is of a good quality. The village
of Ipswich is very pleasant. It lies on both sides
of the river, which is crossed by a stone bridge,
with two arches, built in 1764, at a cost of 1000
pounds. The Ipswich Eemale Seminary is situ-
ated in the centre of the village. Distances, 25
miles E. from Lowell, and 25 from Boston by the
Ira, N. Y., Cayuga co. The surface of this town
is undulating, and watered by a few small streams;
soil mostly sandy loam of good quality. 20 miles
N. from Auburn, and 160 W. by N. from Albany.
Ira, Yt., Rutland co. This township is ele-
vated ; it contains good land for rearing cattle.
Castleton River and Ira Brook wash a part of the
town, but afford no valuable mill privileges. The
town was organized in 1779. Erom Montpelier
40 miles S. W., and 8 S. W. from Rutland.
Irasburg, Yt., Orleans co. Irasburg is some-
what diversified with gentle hills and valleys.
The soil is easy to cultivate, and, in general, pro-
duces good crops. Black River passes through
the township in a north-easterly direction, and
Barton River just touches upon the eastern cor-
ner. Nearly in the centre of the township is a
small village. The settlement was commenced a
little previous to the year 1800. Distance from
Montpelier, 42 miles N. E.
Iredell Colmty, N. C., c. h. at Statesville. Bound-
ed N. by Wilkes and Surry counties, E. by Davie
and Rowan, S. by Mecklenburg, and W. by Ca-