miles N. from Pittsfield, from which, by the
Western Railroad, is 151 miles to Boston.
Langdon, N. H., Sullivan co. The principal
village is 3 miles E. from Connecticut River, and 6
from Bellows Falls. A branch of Cold River
passes S. W. through the town, and unites with
the main branch, near the S. line. Langdon was
named in honor of Governor Langdon. First
settlers, Seth Walker, Nathaniel Rice, and Jona-
than Williard, in 1773. 18 miles S. S. W. from
Newport, and 56 W. by S. from Concord.
Lanier, Ga., c. h. Macon co. On the W. side
of Flint River. 76 miles S. W. from Milledge-
Lanier, 0., Preble co., was named for a citi-
zen of the county, Alexander C. Lanier, Esq.
The township was organized in 1811, and has
well-cultivated, well-watered lands.
Lansing, Mn. Capital of the state. Situated on
Grand River, about 55 miles N. from Jackson,
which is on the Michigan Central Railroad, and
132 miles W. by N. from Detroit, via Jackson.
In 1847 the place upon which it stands was
covered with a thick forest. Now there are
about 400 buildings, including several large
hotels. Both steam and water power are used
for driving several flouring mills and saw mills.
The state house is finely situated upon an emi-
nence about 50 feet above the river, overlooking
the town. It is a large and handsome edifice,
and is surrounded by an ample enclosure, to be
tastefully laid out and ornamented. Many things,
in a town so recent, must be yet rough aud in-
complete ; but their outline is sufficiently de-
veloped to indicate the beauty which will speedi-
ly adorn the new capital of this rich and enter-
Lansing, N. Y., Tompkins co. Drained by
Salmon Creek and its branches. Surface hilly ;
soil productive. 8 miles N. from Ithaca, and 166
W. from Albany.
Lansingburg, N. Y., Rensselaer co. On the E.
bank of the Hudson; the surface is hilly, ex-
cept on the border of the river, where is an ex-
tensive plain ; the soil mostly gravelly and clay
loam, of good quality. 3 miles N. from Troy,
and 9 N. N. E. from Albany.
Lapeer County, Mn., c. h. at Lapeer. Bounded
N. by Tuscarora and Sanilac counties, E. by St.
Clair, S. by Macomb and Oakland, and W. by
Genesee co. Watered by Flint River and
branches, Belle River and Mill Creek. Surface
slightly uneven; soil fertile.
Lapeer, Mn., c. h. at Lapeer co. Situated
at the junction of Flint River and Farmer's
Creek. 61 miles N. from Detroit.
La Pointe County, Wn. In the N. W. comer
of the state, on the S. shore of Lake Superior.
La Porte County, la., c. h. at La Porte. Bound-
ed N. W. by Lake Michigan, N. by Michigan, E.
by St. Joseph co., S. by Stark, and W. by Porter
co. Drained by Kankakee, Little Kankakee,
and Gallien Rivers and Trail Creek.
Laredo, Ts., c. h. Webb co.
Larissa, Ts., Cherokee co. This pleasant and
thriving town is situated in Eastern Texas, 25
miles N. from Rusk, in the same county, and 30
miles E. from Palestine, in Anderson co. It is
decidedly the most prosperous inland village in
Eastern Texas. It is situated in the centre of
a large body of fertile lands, well watered and
densely populated by thrifty farmers, The state
of society is one of the chief attractions of the
place. In a population of about 400, there are
three regularly-organized churches — a Presby-
terian, a Cumberland Presbyterian, and a Baptist.
Larue County, Ky. Central part. Washed on
the N. by the Rolling Fork of Salt River.
La Salle County, Is., c. h. at Ottawa. Incorpo-
rated in 1831. Bounded N. by Lee and De Kalb
counties, E. by Kendall and Grundy, S. by Liv-
ingston and Woodford, and W. by Putnam and
Bureau counties. Drained by Illinois, Fox, and
Vermilion Rivers, and their branches, which
afford water power. Land mostly fertile prairie.
The Illinois and Michigan Railroad traverses
La Salle, Is., La Salle co., at the head of navi-
gation on the Illinois River, 213 miles from its
mouth, where the Illinois and Michigan Canal ter-
minates by a conjunction with the river. This is a
new place, created entirely by its being made the
terminus of the canal, and is destined from this
circumstance to become a place of considerable
importance. Steamboats on the river, and canal
boats from the lake, are continually arriving and
departing; and a number of steamers are almost
always lading and unlading at the wharves. The
distance on the canal, from this place to Chica-
go, on Lake Michigan, is 102 miles.
Latimore, Pa., Adams co. This is a level town,
watered by Bermudian Creek and branches. Soil
red shale. About two miles S. from the village
are York Sulphur Springs. 15 miles N. E. from
Lauderdale County, Aa., c. h. at Florence.
Bounded N. by Tennessee, E. by Limestone co.,
and S. and W. by the Tennessee River, separating
it from Lawrence and Franklin counties and Mis-
sissippi. Drained by Blackwater, Shoal, Sec-
ond, Cypress, and other creeks flowing into the
Tennessee. Surface uneven ; soil of excellent
quality. A canal here extends around the Mus-
cle Shoals in the Tennessee River.
Lauderdale County, Mi., c. h. at Marion. Bound-
ed N. by Kemper co., E. by Alabama, S. by Clarke,
and W. by Newton co. Watered by Oktibbeha
River and branches.
Lauderdale County, Te., c. h. at Ripley. Bound-
ed N. by Dyer co., E. by Gibson, S. by Hay-
wood and Tipton counties, and W. by the Mis-
sissippi River. Soil very fertile, and watered by
Forked Deer and Big Hatchee Rivers and Coal
Laurel County, Ky., c. h. at Loudon. Bounded
N. by Madison co., E. by Clay, S. by Knox and
Whitely, and W. by Rockcastle. Creek, a head
branch of Cumberland River. In the S. E. part
of the state. Watered by several tributaries of
the Cumberland, namely, South Fork, Little
Rockcastle, and Laurel Creeks. The surface is
Ljxurens County, Ga., c. h. at Dublin. Bounded
N. E. by Emanuel, S. E. by Montgomery, S. W. by
Pulaski, and N. W. by Wilkinson and Washing-
Laurens, N. Y., Otsego co. Watered by Ote-
go Creek. The surface is elevated and hilly;
soil rich sandy loam. 15 miles S. W. from
Cooperstown, and 84 W. from Albany.
Laurens District, S. C., c. h. at Laurensville.
Bounded N. E. by Ennoree River, separating it
from Spartanburg and Union districts, S. E. by
Newberry district, S. W. by Saluda River, sepa-
rating it from Abbeville district, and N. W. by