Mifflintown, Pa., c. h. Juniata co. On the E.
bank of Juniata Eiver. 45 miles N. W. from
Milan, N. H., Coos co. The Upper Amonoo-
suck and Androscoggin Eivers pass through this
town. There are several ponds, and some con-
siderable mountains. It was called Paulsburg
until 1824. First settlers : this town was grant-
ed in 1771 to Sir William Mayne and others.
150 miles N. byE. from Concord, and 22 N. E.
Milan, N. Y., Dutchess co. Watered by the
Sawkill and a branch of Boeliff Jansen's Creek.
Surface hilly; soil clay and gravelly loam, upon
a foundation of limestone and slate. 18 miles N.
from Poughkeepsie, and 66 S. from Albany.
Milan County, Ts., c. h. at Nashville. On the
left bank of the Brazos.
Milford, Ct., New Haven co. This is one of
the towns which composed the Old Jurisdiction
of New Haven.'' The settlement commenced in
1639. The first purchase of land was made of the
Indians for the consideration of 6 coats,10 blan-
kets, 1 kettle, besides a number of hoes, knives,
hatchets, and glasses.'' The Indians made a res-
ervation of 20 acres in the town, which was sold
by*' them, in 1661, for 6 coats, 2 blankets, and a
pair of breeches.
The Indian name of the place was Wepawaug.
The towm is generally level, and the soil produc-
'tive. There is a quarry of beautiful serpentine
marble in the town, and a harbor for small ves-
Poconock or Milford Point is a noted place,
where are a number of huts on the beach, occu-
pied by persons engaged in the oyster and clam
Milford village is very pleasant, and the scen-
ery variegated and interesting. 10 miles S. W.
from New Haven, on the railroad to New York.
Milford, Ms., Worcester co. Milford was once
the E. parish of Mendon. It was called Wo-
powage by the Indians, and Mill Eiver by the
whites. The surface is uneven, and the soil of an
excellent quality. A branch of Charles Eiver
on the E. side of the town, Mill Eiver, a branch
of the Blackstone on the W., with numerous
brooks and ponds, water the town in every part,
and give it a great water power. The village in
the centre of the town is neat, and pleasantly
situated near Cedar Swamp Pond. The Frater-
nal Community, at Hopedale, in this town, own
400 acres of land. 28 miles S. W. from Boston,
by the old road, and 18 S. E. from Worcester.
Milford, N. H., Hillsboro' co. Milford lies
on both sides of Souhegan Eiver, which runs
through the town from W. to E., forming a rich
meadow or intervale, from a quarter to half a
mile wide. The banks of this river are annually
overflowed, by which means the soil, which is
black and deep, is much enriched. This town has
exensive water privileges, and has become the
0 seat of large manufactures, and an active trade,
being connected with Nashua, Lowell, and Boston
by railroad. 32 miles S. by W. from Concord,
and about 5 S. W. from Amherst.
Milford, N. Y., Otsego co. The Susquehanna
Eiver and some of its branches water this town.
The surface is hilly; soil in the valleys fertile
loam. 13 miles S. from Cooperstown, and 73 W.
Milford, Pa., Somerset co. Drained by Castle-
man's Eiver and branches and Laurel Hill Creek.
Iron ore and anthracite coal are abundant. 7
miles S. W. from Somerset.
Milford, Pa., c. h. Pike co. Situated on the
W. side of the Delaware Eiver. 162 miles N. E.
by E. from Harrisburg.
"Milford, Pa., Bucks co. Watered by Swamp,
a branch of Perkiomen Creek. Surface undu-
lating ; soil clay and gravel.
Millbury, Ms., Worcester co. This is one of
the most beautiful and flourishing towns in the
county. It was formerly the N. parish in Sutton.
The Blackstone Eiver "and Canal pass through
the town. The Blackstone Eiver, and Singletary
Pond, which lies mostly in Sutton, furnish excel-
lent water privileges. The soil is fertile, well culti-
vated, and yields abundance of all the varieties
of agricultural products common to this fruitful
region. The surface is delightfully varied by hills
and valleys, decorated by lovely ponds, and
spread out with neat and prosperous villages. The
Worcester Bailroad has a branch to the centre of
the town. 6 miles S. S. E. front Worcester, and
42 W. S. W. from Boston.
Miller County, Mo., c. h. at Tuscambia. Bound-
ed N. by Moniteau and Cole counties, E. by Osage
and Pulaski, S. by Pulaski and Camden, and W.
by Camden and Morgan counties. Watered by
Osage Eiver and branches. Soil very fertile on
Millersburg, Is., c. h. Mercer co.
Millersburg, 0., c. h. Holmes co. On the E.
side of Killbuck Creek. 87 miles N. E. from Co-
Millersburg, Pa., Dauphin co. On the E. bank
of Susquehanna Eiver, at the mouth of Wicon-
isco Creek. 31 miles N. from Harrisburg. There is
a railroad to the river at this point from the coal
mines in Lvken's Valley.
Milledgeville, Ga. City, capital of the state,
and seat of justice of Baldwin co. 187 miles N.
W. from Savannah, and 89 W. S. W. from Au-
gusta. It is situated on the W. side of Oconee
Eiver, at the head of navigation, and at the junc-
tion of Fishing Creek, 193 miles N.from Darien,
at the mouth of the river. The city is built upon
an uneven surface, but is laid out with great regu-
larity, having 10 streets running parallel with the
river, and 10 others intersecting them at right an-
gles, all of which are 100 feet wide, except Wash-
ington Street, in the centre, which is 120 feet in
width. There are 3 public squares, each 450
feet on a side, called State House Square, Gov-
ernor's Square, and Penitentiary Square. In the
centre of State House Square, which is in an
elevated part of the city, about three fourths of a
mile from the river, stands the state house;
which is a handsome Gothic edifice, erected in
1828, at a cost of $115,000. On this square also
is an academy, an arsenal, and a powder maga-
zine. There are churches of the Presbyterian,
Methodist, and Baptist denominations.
Milledgeville was laid out in 1803. The first
house, of logs, was built the next year, and the
first framed house in 1805. A railroad,'17 miles
long, to Gordon, connects Milledgeville with the
long railroad route from Savannah to Macon.
Mills County, Io., c. h. at Coonville. In the S.
W. angle, on the Missouri.
Millsfield, N. H., Coos co. Clear Stream wa-
ters its N. extremity, and Philips Eiver, with
several small streams, the other parts. Here
are several ponds : the largest is about 300 rods
long, 140 wide. This town was named from Sir