Thomas Mills, a grantee. The surface is too
rough and the climate too cold for cultivation.
First settlers: Millsfield was granted, in 1774, to
George Boyd and 81 others. 150 miles N. from
Concord, and about 35 N. E. from Lancaster.
Millville, N. J., Cumberland co. Drained by
Maurice River and its branches, the principal of
which is Manantico Creek. Surface level; soil
sandy and rather sterile. 67 miles S. by W. from
Milo, Me., Piscataquis co. This is a beautiful
township, on the fertile banks of Sebec and Pleas-
ant Rivers, at their union with the Piscataquis.
It lies 103 miles N. E. from Augusta, and 15 N.
E. from Dover. Incorporated in 1823.
Milo, N. T., c. h. Yates co. Bounded W. by
Crooked Lake, and N. by its outlet. Surface un-
dulating ; soil very productive. 189 miles W.
Milton, Me., Piscataquis co. 94 miles from Au-
Milton, Ms., Norfolk co. Milton was a part of
Dorchester until 1662. The Indians called the
place Unquety or Uncataquisset. Neponset Riv-
er washes its northern border, and affords the
town numerous valuable mill sites. Milton pos-
sesses fine granite. The soil of the town is strong
and fertile ; and the surface presents many finely-
cultivated farms, and large tracts of wood and
meadow lands. Milton contains many elegant
country seats, and much delightful scenery. The
views from Milton Hill, near the head of the
Neponset, and Blue Hill, a celebrated land-
mark for sailors, 635 feet above the sea, in this
town and Canton, are among the most admired
in our country. The village called the Mills,''
comprising a part of Dorchester, at the head of
navigation on the Neponset, is a wild, romantic
place, and the seat of considerable trade and man-
ufacture. The village at the railroad, near the
granite quarry, in Quincy, is very pleasant and
flourishing. By a new and beautiful bridge,
called the Granite Bridge, across the Neponset,
the distance to the city is reduced to 6 miles.
There is an academy in this place. The first
paper mill in New England was erected in this
town. This interesting and pleasant town lies 7
miles S. from Boston, and 6 E. from Dedham.
Milton, N. H., Strafford co. The Salmon Fall
River washes its whole eastern boundary, a dis-
tance of 13 miles. Teneriffe, a bold and rocky
mountain, extends along the eastern part of Mil-
ton, near which lies Milton Pond, of considerable
size, connecting with Salmon Fall River. This
town was formerly a part of Rochester. 40 miles
N. E. from Concord, and 20 N. W. by N. from
Milton, N. Y., Saratoga co. Shire town. Wa-
tered by Kayaderosseras Creek and some of its
tributaries. Surface chiefly level; soil sandy
and clay loam. 30 miles N. from Albany.
Milton, Vt., Chittenden co. Milton is bounded
on the W. by Lake Champlain, and is finely wa-
tered by the River Lamoille. The soil is gener-
ally good. A little distance from the neat and
flourishing village are the Great Falls, on the La-
moille. In the course of 50 rods the whole river
falls 180 feet. About the middle of the rapid is
a small island, by which the water passes on each
side, with great violence and loud roaring. There
is another pleasant village 2 miles W. of the
falls, called Checker Berry. The immense water
power of this town, and the facilities afforded it
by Lake Champlain for an extensive commerce,
added to the advantage of railroad communica-
tion with Burlington, Montreal, and Boston, will,
doubtless, render this place a site of important
business. A bridge, called the Sand Bar Bridge,
connects this town with South Hero. The set-
tlement of this place was commenced Febru-
ary 15, 1782. 12 miles N. from Burlington, and'
40 N. W. from Montpelier.
Milwaukie County, Wn., c. h. at Milwaukee.
Bounded N. by Washington co., E. by Lake Mich-
igan, S. by Racine, and W. by Waukesha co.
Drained by Wilwaukie, Manewakee, Root, Des
Plaines, and Fox Rivers, and branches of Rock
Milwaukie, Wn., c. h. Milwaukie co., situated on
the W. shore of Lake Michigan. 95 miles N. from
Chicago, and 80 miles E. from Madison, the capi-
tal of the state. The town lies on both sides of
the Milwaukie River, which here runs nearly
parallel to the shore of the lake, and empties into
it just below.
This place is the natural outlet of one of the
finest regions for the production of cereal grains
in the United States. Its growth has been re-
markably rapid. In 1834 it contained only two
log houses. A census of the town, taken in June,
1846, showed a population of 9508 ; and another
in December, 1847, only 18 months afterwards,
of 14,071. The population in 1850 was 22,137.
The site of Milwaukie is eligible in various
respects. It commences about a mile above the
mouth of the river, at a point called Walker's
Point, and extends from a mile and a half to two
miles up the river, which is sufficiently wide and
deep, to a point some distance above the town, to
accommodate a large amount of shipping. At
the head of this navigable portion of the river, a
dam, erected by the Milwaukie and Rock River
Canal Company, for the purpose of producing a
slack water navigation about two miles farther
up the stream, throws a large body of water into
that section of the canal which courses into the
town, creating there a water power which is
estimated to be equal to about 100 runs of mill-
stones. The manufactories erected on this canal
have the advantage of being also located on the
bank of the navigable river, which almost washes
their foundations in the rear, so that they maybe
approached by the largest vessels and steamboats
from the lakes.
The ground occupied by the town is elevated
and uneven, rising from the river to the height of
50 to 100 feet, and affording beautiful situations
for residences, commanding a full view of the
river, the bay, the lake, and the body of the town
The Bay of Milwaukie is an elliptical indenta-
tion of the lake shore against the town, of about
three miles in depth, and extending about six
miles between its N. and S. points or capes, suf-
ficiently separated from the body of the lake t#
protect the shipping from the effect of all the
storms or gales of wind except such as come
from the east, which here seldom occur. The
river enters this bay about half a mile below its
centre, and the whole distance between the mouth
of the river and the commencement of the town
is occupied by a low, impassable marsh, by some
supposed once to have been a part of the bay.
This place, for one of such rapid growth, k
finely built. From a certain quality of the clay
which abounds here, the brick made from it,