leges. Monkton Pond lies in the N. part of the
town, and is about a mile in length and half a
mile wide. A mountain, called the Hogback,
extends along the eastern boundary of Monkton,
and there are several other considerable eleva-
tions. Iron ore is found in the S. part of this
township in large quantities. About a mile N.
of the iron ore bed is an extensive bed of rac-
lin, or porcelain earth. In the S. part of this
township is a pond, curiously located on the
summit of a considerable hill. In the north-
western part is a remarkable cavern. Monkton
was settled in 1774, by John and Ebenezer
Stearns, Barnabas Burnham, and John Bishop.
They left during the war, but returned in 1784.
27 miles W. from Montpelier, and 16 N. from
Middlebury. The Vermont Central Railroad
passes through the town.
Monmouth, Me., Kennebec co. On the sources
of the Cobbessecontee. 15 miles S. W. from
Monmouth County, N. J., c. h. at Ereehold.
Bounded N. by Staten Island Sound, E. and S.
E. by the Atlantic Ocean, S. W. and W. by
Burlington, Mercer, and Middlesex counties.
Drained by Millstone and South Rivers, branches
of the Raritan, by Assunpink, Crosswick's, and
Rancocus, branches of the Delaware, by Never-
sink, Tom's, Shrewsbury, and Forked Rivers, and
Manasquan, Cedar, Oyster, Westecunk, and Man-
ahocking Creeks. Surface mostly level; soil al-
luvial, being a mixture of sand, clay, gravel, and
vegetable mould. Marl is abundant in some parts.
Monongahela, Pa., Greene co. Bounded E. by
Monongahela River, and drained by Whitley
Creek. Surface undulating; soil loamy. 14 miles
S. E. from Waynesburg.
Monongahela County, Va., c. h. at Morgantown.
Bounded N. by Pennsylvania, E. by Preston, S.
by Marion, and W. by Tyler co. Drained by the
Monongahela and its tributary, Cheat River. Sur-
face uneven; soil fertile.
Monroe County, Aa., c. h. at Monroeville.
Bounded N. by Wilcox co., E. by Butler and
Conechu, S. by Baldwin co., and W. by the Ala
bama River and Clarke co. Drained by the Al-
abama and its tributaries ; soil bordering on some
of the streams fertile.
Monroe County, As., c. h. at Lawrenceville.
Bounded N. by St. Francis and Pulaski counties,
E. by Phillips, S. by Desha, S. W. by Arkansas,
and W. by Pulaski co. Drained by Cache and
White Rivers, and branches.
Monroe, Ct. Fairfield co. This town was
taken from Huntington in 1823. The soil is
good, and well adapted for grazing, but the sur-
face is rough and stony. Agriculture is the prin-
cipal business of the inhabitants. There are ex-
cellent orchards of various kinds of fruit in the
town, a pleasant village on elevated ground, and
a classical school. 15 miles W. by N. from New
Monroe County, Ea., c. h. at Key West. The
main land of this county is bounded E. by Dade co.,
S. by the Florida Channel, and W. by the Gulf of
Mexico. It also embraces the islands called the
Florida Keys, and an inundated tract of land
called the Everglades. In the N. W. part is
some good land.
Monroe County, Ga., c. h. at Forsyth. Bounded
N. by Butts co., E. by Jasper, Jones, and Bibb,
S. by Crawford, and W. by Upson and Pike
counties. Drained by small streams flowing into
the Ockmulgee River, which forms its N. E. boun-
Monroe, Ga., c. h. Walton co. Situated at the
head of Ockmulgee River. 61 miles N. W. by N.
Monroe County, Is., c. h. at Harrisonville.
Bounded N. E. by St. Clair, S. E. by Randolph
co., and S. W. and N. W. by the Mississippi
River, separating it from Missouri. Drained by
Horse, Eagle, De Long, and Prairie Creeks.
The surface is rough and hilly in the W. por-
tions, but in the E. there is much good land.
Monroe County, la., c. h. at Bloomington. Bound-
ed N. by Morgan co., E. by Brown and Jackson,
S. by Lawrence, and W. by Green and Owen
counties. Drained by branches of the E. and
W. forks of White River.
Monroe, Io., c. h. at Albia. S. E. part. Wa-
tered by Cedar Creek and other southern tribu-
taries of the Des Moines.
Monroe County, Ky., c. h. at Tompkinsville.
Bounded N. by Barren co., E. by Cumberland,
S. by Tennessee, and W. by Allen co. Watered
by Cumberland River, and the Big Barren and
Monroe, La., c. h. Wachita parish. On the E.
bank of Wachita River, at the head of steamboat
navigation, and 300 miles N. W. by N. from
Monroe, Me., Waldo co. This town is watered
by Marsh River, a branch of the Penobscot. It
lies 59 miles N. E. from Augusta, and 14 N. from
Monroe, Ms., Franklin co. Monroe was for-
merly a part of Rowe, and an unincorporated
tract called the Gore.'' There is some land in
the town fit for the plough ; but being very moun-
tainous, the greater part is adapted only to graz-
ing. Monroe was named in honor of James
Monroe, late president of the United States.
28 miles W. N. W. from Greenfield, and 115 W.
by N. from Boston.
Monroe County, Mn., c. h. at Monroe. Bounded
N. by Washtenaw and Wayne counties, E. by
Lake Erie, S. by Ohio, and W. by Lenawee co.
Drained by Raisin River, and Otter, Plum, Stony,
Sandy, and Swan Creeks. Surface level; soil
Monroe, Mil., c. h. Monroe co. This city is
located on Raisin River, 2^ miles from its mouth,
and has great water privileges. It is connected
by a canal with Lake Erie. 37 miles S. S. W.
from Detroit, and is one of the eastern termini
of the Southern Michigan Railroad.
Monroe County, Mi., c. h. at Athens. Bounded
N. by Itawamba co., E. by Alabama, S. by
Lowndes co., and W. by Chickasaw co. Watered
by Tombigbee and Battahatchee Rivers.
Monroe County, Mo., c. h. at Paris. Bounded
N. by Shelby and Marion counties, E. by Ralls,
S. by Audrain, and W. by Randolph co. Drained
by Salt River and its branches. Surface undulat-
ing ; soil fertile.
Monroe, N. C., c. h. Union co.
Monroe County, N. Y., c. h. at Rochester. Taken
from Ontario and Genesee counties in 1821. It
is bounded N. by Lake Ontario, E. by Wayne
co., S. by Ontario and Livingston, and W. by
Genesee and Orleans counties. Surface chiefly
level, or slightly uneven, being crossed by the
Mountain Ridge and Alluvial Way, or Ridge
Road, and watered by the Genesee River, and
several streams flowing N. into Lake Ontario;