place with Newark, 19 miles E., and thence, by
the Jersey Railroad, with New York, from which
the distance is 26 miles.
The American army under Washington had
their winter quarters twice in Morristown and the
vicinity. The dwellings occupied on these dif-
ferent. occasions as the general's head quarters
are objects of interest to the visitor. The re-
mains of an old revolutionary fort are still seen
in the rear of the court house.
Morristown, N. Y., St. Lawrence co. Bounded
on the S. E. by Black Lake, and N. W. by the
St. Lawrence River. Surface undulating; soil
chiefly clay loam. 25 miles S. W. from Canton,
and 194 N. W. from Albany.
Morristown, 0., Belmont co. 105 miles E.
Morristown, Vt., Lamoille co. The soil is of a
good quality, and easily cultivated. Morristown
is, in point of agricultural products, the second in
the county. Lamoille River and several other
streams pass through the town. Along the river
are some fine tracts of intervale, and on it are
two excellent mill sites. Morrisville is a pleas-
ant, flourishing village, situated near the Great
Ealls. At the falls, a few rods W. of the village,
holes are worn in the solid rock by the water, some
of which are nearly 8 feet deep and 4 broad. The
river at this place pours itself into a channel, cut
directly across the stream, 20 feet.deep and 30
broad. This channel the early settlers denom-
inated the pulpit, from the resemblance of the
rocks at the N. end. Cadysville is situated 2
miles below Morrisville, and bids fair to become
a place of considerable business. At the centre
of the town is a small village, pleasantly located.
In the S. E. corner of the town is Joe's Pond.
The People's Academy, in this town, was incor-
porated in 1847. Mr. Jacob Walker, from Ben-
nington, commenced a settlement here in the
spring of 1790. Morristown lies 3 miles S. from
Hydepark, and 30 N. from Montpelier.
Morrisville, N. Y., c. h. Madison co. 102 miles
W. by N. from Albany.
Morrisville, Pa., Bucks co. On the W. bank of
Delaware River, opposite Trenton. 125 miles E.
from Harrisburg. It has a good water power.
The Delaware is here crossed by a bridge 1100
feet long. The Delaware Canal and the railroad
from Bristol to Newark both pass through it.
Morrow County, O., c. h. at Mount Gilead.
S. central part of the state. Traversed by the
railroad from Cleveland to Columbus.
Moscow, Me., Somerset co. On the E. side of
the Kennebec. 53 miles N. from Augusta.
Moscow, N. Y., Livingston co. Situated on
high ground, 1 mile W. from Genesee Elats, and
236 miles W. from Albany.
. Mottville, N. Y., Onondaga co. At the outlet
of Skaneateles Lake. 149 miles W. by N. from
Moulton, Aa., c. h. Lawrence co. On the E.
side of Big Nance Creek. 20 miles S. from Ten-
nessee River, and 103 miles N. from Tuscaloosa.
Moultrie. County, Is. E. central part of the
state. Watered by the Upper Kaskaskia River
and its affluents.
Mmiltonbord1, N. H.. Carroll co. This town
lies on the N. W. shore of Winnipiseogee Lake.
Its surface is broken by mountains and ponds.
Red Hill, 2000 feet above the sea, lies wholly in
this town, commanding most beautiful prospects
of the lake and country. Squam Lake lies partly
in this town, and Long Pond, both beautiful
sheets of water. Red Hill River passes through
this town, emptying into the Winnipiseogee. Eirst
settlers, Ezekiel Moulton and others. 50 miles
N. from Concord.
Mount Airy, Va., Pittsylvania co. S. W. by
W. from Richmond 145 miles. Little more than
a mile from this village is a sulphur spring.
Mount Carmel, Is., c. h. Wabash co., occupies
high ground on the W. side of Wabash River, op-
posite the mouth of White River. 166 miles S.
E. from Springfield.
Mount Carroll, Is., c. h. Carroll co.
Mount Clemens, Mn., c. h. Macomb co. On the
N. bank of Clinton River. 18 miles N. E. from
Detroit. Small vessels come to this place, and a
steamboat runs to Detroit.
Mount Desert, Me., Hancock co. On the island
of that name. 100 miles E. from Augusta. It has
a good soil, and a number of excellent harbors.
Mount Gilead, 0., c. h. Morrow co.
Mount Holly, N. J., c. h. Burlington co. On
Rancocus Creek, at the head of navigation. 18
miles Si from Trenton. A pleasant town, with
considerable commerce and manufactures.
Mount Holly, Vt., Rutland co. Mill River is
the only stream of consequence. In the north-
eastern part is a considerable pond, called Palche's
Pond. The soil is similar to that of the mountain
towns, being better adapted to grass than grain.
In 1848, the two tusks, one grinder, and several
of the bones of a fossil elephant were found in
this town, at the summit of the Green Mountains,
1360 feet above the sea. They were found in the
bottom of a muck bed, 13 feet below the surface.
The settlement was commenced in 1781. 60 miles
S. W. from Montpelier, and 17 S. E. from Rut-
Mount Joy, Pa., Adams co. Between Willo-
way's Creek on the E., and Rock Creek on the
W. Surface level; soil red shale. 6 miles S. from
Mount Joy, Pa., Lancaster co. Bounded E. by
Chiques Creek, and N. W. by Conewago Creek.
Surface undulating; soil calcareous loam. 25
miles S. E. from Harrisburg.
Mount Morris, N. Y., Livingston co. The sur-
face is diversified ; soil good clay loam. 10 miles
S. from Geneseo.
Mount Pleasant, la., c. h. Martin co.
Mount Pleasant, Io., c. h. Henry co. A flour-
ishing place, with good schools.
Mount Pleasant, N. Y., Westchester co. It is
bounded E. by Broux River, W. by Tappan Bay,
an expansion of the Hudson, and by Croton
River, while Saw Mill River waters the central
part. A somewhat celebrated mineral spring is
situated 3 miles E. from Sing Sing village. Sur-
face chiefly hilly; soil of good quality. There
are extensive marble quarries in the neighborhood
of Sing Sing, and a copper mine was formerly
worked in this town. (See Siny Sing.) 6 miles
N. W. from White Plains, and 125 miles S. from
Mount Pleasant, Pa., Adams co. Drained by
Plum and White Runs, branches of Rock Creek,
and Swift and Bush Runs, branches of Cone-
wago Creek. Surface level; soil red shale. 17
miles E. from Gettysburg.
Mount Pleasant, Pa., Westmoreland co. Drained
by Big Sewickly and Jacob's Creeks. Surface
slightly uneven ; soil gravel and loam. 170 miles
W. from Harrisburg.