This is one of the handsomest and most
flourishing towns in the western part of Massa-
chusetts. It is situated at the junction of the
Pontoosuc with the Housatonic River, and occu-
pies a beautiful expansion of the valley between
the Taconic and the Green Mountain ranges. It
has no mountains within its territorial limits,
except a point of Lenox Mountain on the S.,
which extends a short distance into the town.
There is little or no waste land in the town. A
large proportion of the land upon the rivers is
of the best alluvial formation, especially on the
Housatonic, which usually overflows its banks in
the spring. The stranger at Pittsfield, finding
himself set down in a valley of exceeding beauty
and fertility, surrounded at a distance with high
and picturesque mountains, while charming rivers
are quietly meandering at his feet, sees nothing
to remind him that he stands at an elevation of
more than a thousand feet above the level of the
Bea. In the salubrity of its climate, and in love-
liness of scenery and situation, Pittsfield can
hardly be surpassed. The village in the centre
is well located and handsomely built. There are
two principal streets, which cross each other at
right angles, on which are located many of the
most beautiful buildings. At their intersection
there is a public square containing about 4 acres.
Fronting on the different sides of this square are
the First Congregational Meeting House, re-
cently rebuilt, in an elegant style of architect-
ure, the Berkshire Medical Institution, two or
three spacious hotels, with ranges of stores, &c.
Besides these, there are also many other handsome
streets and buildings. The meeting houses of
the Second Congregational Church and of the
Baptist Church, situated ofl the main street, run-
ning N. and S., are new and tasteful structures.
Pittsfield has become distinguished for its
excellent schools and seminaries of learning.
The Berkshire Medical Institution is a profes-
sional school of deservedly high reputation. It
was established in 1822; and handsome and
commodious buildings were erected for its use.
TheYoung Ladies' Institute, located here, is one
of the best provided and most popular institutions
of the kind in the country. It occupies a range
of three beautiful buildings, most eligibly situated,
a short distance N. of the village. The centre
building, containing the chapel, library, recitation
rooms, apparatus, &c., is an exact copy of a
Grecian temple at Athens. The symmetry of the
whole establishment is very fine. On a gentle
elevation, overlooking the town towards the S.,
and the country far and wide, stand the buildings
of the institute, with a number of acres laid out in
a circular garden, sloping from the green in front,
surrounded and intersected by spacious gravelled
walks, ornamented with shrubbery and flowers,
tastefully set off with parterres and arbors, and
enlivened by an artificial fountain. The course
of studies pursued in the Institute is liberal and
extensive, and cannot fail, in all cases where it is
diligently and systematically prosecuted, to ex-
ert a decided influence in furnishing the female
mind with every desirable talent and accomplish-
Pittsfield is quite a busy place in manufacturing
as well as agricultural operations. As early asl837,
the various manufactures of the town amounted
to about $700,000, since which they have greatly
increased. The principal manufactures now are
cotton and woollen goods, castings, machinery,
musical instruments, hats, caps, harnesses, trunks,
railroad cars, carriages, chairs, cabinet furniture,
mechanics' tools, muskets, rifles, fowling pieces,
&c. The amount of the product in these various
branches is large.
The Western Railroad from Boston to Albany
passes through Pittsfield. A railroad extends
S. W. through Lenox and Stockbridge to con-
nect with the Housatonic Railroad, and, connected
with these, is a railroad to Hudson, New York.
Another extends N. 20 miles to the flourishing
manufacturing village of North Adams, a few
miles S. of Williamstown.
Pittsfield was settled in 1752. Its Indian name
was Pontoosuc, signifying, a run for deer'' — a
name which one of its beautiful streams still bears.
The territory of this town was granted to Boston
in 1735. It was called Boston Plantation,''
until it was sold to Jacob Wendell, in 1743; it
then bore the name of Wendell's Town until its
incorporation, in 1761, when it received its present
name, in honor of William Pitt, the English
This beautiful town among the mountains is
becoming quite a favorite resort for persons of
wealth, intelligence, and refinement, as a place of
residence. Many come here, especially from our
cities and from the south, to spend tbe summer
months. The salubrious climate, the charming
scenery, and the agreeable society to be enjoyed
in Pittsfield, constitute a union of attractions not
often so happily combined.
Pittsfield,, N. H., Merrimae co. The surface is
pleasantly varied, with a good soil. Suncook
River passes through the town, affording good
mill privileges. Catamount Mountain is in the
town. There are a number of ponds here, W.
of which the magnetic needle varies materially.
Berry's Pond is on the mountain; it is half a
mile in length, and is supplied by mountain
springs. There is a neat and flourishing village
in Pittsfield, which possesses a fine wrater power.
First settlers, John Cram and others. 15 miles
N. E. from Concord.
Pittsfield, N. Y., Otsego co. Unadilla River
and some of its branches water this town, the
surface of which is hilly, with fertile valleys.
18 miles W. from Cooperstown, and 87 from
Pittsfield, Yt., Rutland co. Tweed River is
formed in this town, by two branches, which afford
mill sites : it empties into White River, which
passes through the N. E. corner. The surface is
mountainous, and the soil hard. The settlement
w'as commenced in 1786. 35 miles S. W. from
Montpelier, and 17 N. E. from Rutland.
Pittsford, N. Y., Monroe co. Watered by the
Irondoquoit Creek and some of its branches.
Surface undulating; soil argillaceous and' calca-
reous loam. 6 miles E. from Rochester, and 213
N. of W. from Albany.
Pittsford, Yt., Rutland co. Otter Creek is
the principal stream, and its width here is from
40 to 50 yards. Furnace Brook is in Pittsford:
on it and its branches are numerous mill privileges.
Along these streams are extensive meadows of
rich alluvial soil. There are 2 ponds in the
town. The soil is generally loam, with some
sandy tracts, and some of clay. The timber is
oak, of several kinds. Iron ore and excellent
marble abound here. In the eastern part of
Pittsford is a deep cavern, in which ice may com-
monly be found in the months of July and