pediment to navigation. Several steamboats are
employed in towing vessels to and from City
Point. About 100 vessels visit the port during
the year, A line of 5 schooners sails once a week
to Petersburg, and another line, of the same num-
ber, once a week for New York. 3 steamboats
form a line for passengers to Norfolk; and 2
steampackets a line to Baltimore. The principal
exports from Richmond are flour, tobacco, and
coal, the annual value of which is between six
and seven millions. A canal has been con-
structed from Richmond to Lynchburg, and
beyond that place. It was first constructed to
pass the falls in James River in 1794, and after-
wards, in 1835. extended to Lynchburg. A rail-
road passes through Richmond from Fredericks-
burg to Petersburg, and thence to Weldon on the
Roanoke River, where it connects with other
southern railroads. It crosses James River, at
Richmond, on a high bridge constructed for the
purpose. The most important interest of Rich-
mond, however, is comprised in its manufactures.
In the falls, on the James River, extending about
6 miles, it possesses an immense water power,
which, although largely improved, is capable of
furnishing much greater advantages still to future
enterprise. Upon these falls have been erected
very extensive flouring mills, iron works of vari-
ous descriptions, and a very large cotton factory.
The municipal government of Richmond is
administered by a mayor, — who is elected by the
city council, — a recorder, and 11 aldermen. The
recorder and aldermen are chosen from 27 in-
dividuals elected by the people, and the remain-
ing 15 compose the city council.
Richmond County, Va., c. h. at Richmond Court
House. • Bounded N. and E. by Westmoreland
and Northumberland counties, S. by Lancaster
co., and W. by the Rappahannock River separat-
ing it from Essex co.
Rich Woods, Mo., Miller co.
Ridgebury, Pa., Bradford co. Drained by Bent-
ley and South Creeks, branches of Tioga River.
Surface hilly; soil gravelly loam. 18 miles N.W.
Ridgefield, Ct., Fairfield co. Ridgefield, or, as
the Indians called it, Caudatowa, a word signify-
ing high land, is very elevated, and commands
extensive views of Long Island Sound and of
the surrounding country. The soil is a strong
gravelly loam, and productive of grass and grain.
It is watered by Saugatuck and Norwalk Rivers,
and by a branch of the Croton. 31 miles W. by
N. from New Haven.
Ridgeway, N. Y., Orleans co. Oak Orchard
Creek waters this town, the surface of which is
chiefly level, and soil fertile. 10 miles W. from
Albion village, and 262 N. of W. from Albany.
Ridgeway, Pa., Bradford co. Drained by Clar-
ion River, and Toby's and Kersey's Creeks and
their branches. Surface undulating ; soil fertile.
Ridgeway, Pa., c. h. Elk co.
Riga, N. Y., Monroe co. Watered by Black
Creek. Surface undulating; soil productive.
The Tonawanda Railroad passes through this
town. 14 miles S. W. from Rochester, and 239
N. of W. from Albany.
Riley, Me., Oxford co. This is a township of
rough and unprofitable land, with few inhab-
itants, near to and S. of Speckled Mountain, on
the line of New Hampshire. It lies 30 miles N.
W. from Paris.
Riridge, N. H., Cheshire co. This town is very
rocky, but productive of butter and cheese of a
good quality. Its other productions are numer-
ous and valuable. There are 13 ponds in this
town, the largest of which are called Manomo-
nack, Emerson, Perley, Long, Grassy, and Bul-
let. These ponds abound with fish. Rindge is
a favorite resort for anglers at the present day.
There is a small elevation of land in Rindge,
from which the waters, that issue on one side, de-
scend into the Merrimae, and those on the other
into the Connecticut. First settlers, Jonathan
Stanley, George Herritt, and Abel Platts, in 1752.
20 miles S. E. from Keene, and 50 S. W. from
Ringold County, Io. On the southern border, W.
Rio Grand City, Ts., c. h. Starr co.
Ripley County, la., c. h. at Versailles. Bounded
N. by Decatur and Franklin counties, E. by
Dearborn and Ohio, S. by Switzerland and Jef-
ferson, and W. by Jennings co. Drained by
Langherty and Graham's Creeks, branches of the
Ohio River. Surface mostly level; soil favor-
able to the grdwth of grain.
Ripley, Me., Somerset co. A good farming
town. 60 miles N. by E. from Augusta.
Ripley County, Mo., c. h. at Van Buren. Bound-
ed N. by Shannon and Reynolds counties, E. by
Wayne co., S. by Arkansas, and W. by Oregon
co. Watered by Big Black, Current, and Eleven
Point Rivers. Surface hilly; soil fertile on the
margins of the streams.
Ripley, N. Y., Chautauque co. Watered by
Twenty Mile Creek and other small streams flow-
ing into Lake Erie, which bounds it on the N., it
being the most western town in the state, situated
on the lake. Surface hilly; soil fertile. 10 miles
W. from Mayville village, and 336 from Albany.
Ripley, O., Brown co. A considerable town,
on the N. side of the Ohio. 56 miles above Cin-
Ripley, Te., c. h. Lauderdale co. On Cane
Creek, a branch of Big Hatchee River. W. from
Nashville 175 miles.
Ripton, Vt., Addison co. This is a mountainous
township, the surface and soil of which are too
broken and cold for much cultivation. Middlebury
River, and the turnpike from Royalton to Ver-
gennes, pass through it. This town was granted
in 1781, and chartered to Abel Thompson and
associates. 26 miles S. W. from Montpelier, and
9 E. from Middlebury.
Ritchie County, Va., c. h. at Ritchie. N. W.
part, near the Ohio. Surface broken. Watered
by the two forks of Hugh's River, a tributary of
the Little Kanhawa.
Ritchie, Va., c. h. Ritchie co.
Riverhead, N. Y., c. h. Suffolk co. It is washed
on the N. by Long Island Sound, and S. by Great
and Little Peconic Bays and Peconic River.
Surface level, with the exception of a range of
low hills extending E. and W. about one mile S.
from the Sound; the soil is chiefly sandy loam.
90 miles E. from the city of New York, and 235
S. E. from Albany.
Roane County, Te., c. h. at Kingston. Bounded
N. E. by Anderson co., E. by Knox and Blount,
S. by Monroe, McMinn, and Meigs, and W. and
N. W. by Rhea and Morgan counties. Drained
by Tennessee and Clinch Rivers and branches.
Roanoke County, Va., c. h. at Roanoke Court
House. Bounded N. by Botetourt co., E. by Bed-
ford, S. by Franklin, and W. by Montgomery co.
Watered by the head branches of Staunton River