fishing at Mustapaug and Long Ponds. About
half a mile E. of the meeting house is a spring,
the waters of which soon divide, part runs to the
Merrimac and part to Connecticut River. In the
central part of the town is a pleasant village,
which lies 13 miles N. W. from Worcester, and
50 W. by N. from Boston.
Rutland, N. Y., Jefferson co. Black River and
Sandy Creek water this town. Surface undulat-
ing ; soil fertile loam, based upon limestone. In
this vicinity are many interesting remains of
Indian fortifications. 6 miles E. from Watertown,
and 154 N. W. from Albany.
Rutland, Pa., Tioga co. This is a hilly town,
with a gravelly soil. 151 miles N. from Harrisburg.
Rutland County, Vt., c. h. at Rutland. This
county is bounded N. by Addison co., E. by
Windsor co., S. by Bennington co., and W. by the
state of New York. The principal streams are
Otter Creek, Black, White, Queechy, and Paulet
Rivers. There is some fine land in this county,
along Otter Creek, but a large portion of it is
elevated, and some parts mountainous. The soil
is generally warm, and well suited for grazing.
Excellent iron ore is found at the base of the
mountains, and a range of marble quarries extends
the whole length of the county, from N. to S.
This marble is of the very best quality.
Rutland, Vt., c. h. Rutland co. The prin-
cipal stream is Otter Creek. Tributary to this
are West River and East Creek. In addi-
tion to these, there are 2 other streams of less
magnitude, flowing in above East Creek, on the
right b'ank. Near the N. W. corner of the town
another stream, called Castleton River, enters.
On all of these streams are convenient sites for
mills. The soil of Rutland presents all the vari-
eties from heavy loam to a light sand. Some
minerals are found here, and in the W. part
several quarries of very beautiful white and
clouded marble have been opened. Rutland is
divided into two parishes, denominated East and
West Parish. Rutland Village, situated in the
East Parish, is the most important place. In the
West Parish are two small villages, called West
Rutland and Gookkin's Falls. The village of
Rutland was incorporated in 1847. This town
was chartered in 1761. Through this town, during
the revolutionary war, was the only military road
from Charlestown, N. H., to Ticonderoga and
Crown Point, on Lake Champlain. 50 miles S.
W. from Montpelier. A railroad from Boston to
Burlington passes through this town. There
is also a railroad to Whitehall and Troy, N.
Y.; to Burlington, 73 miles ; to Troy, 85.
Rutledge. Mo., c. h. McDonald co.
Rutledqe. Te.. c. h. Granger co.
Rye, N. H., Rockingham co., is pleasantly situ-
ated on the sea-coast, which here is 6 miles in ex-
tent, being nearly one third of the coast in the
state. On the shore are 3 pleasant beaches, Sandy,
Jenness, and Wallis. There is here a small
harbor, near Goss's Mill, into which vessels of 70
or 80 tons' burden may enter at high water. The
boat fishery is carried on to considerable advan-
tage. Breakfast Hill, between this town and
Greenland, is distinguished as the place where a
party of Indians were surprised at breakfast, at
the time of their incursion, in 1696. Rye was taken
from Portsmouth, Greenland, Hampton, and New
Castle, chiefly the latter. 6 miles S. from Ports-
mouth, and 50 S. E. from Concord.
Ryegate,Vt.j Caledonia co. This town is situat-
ed on the W. bank of Connecticut River, opposite
to Bath, N. H. Ryegate is watered by Wells
River, some smaller streams, and several ponds.
There is not much intervale land on the river,
but the soil is generally rich. Ryegate was first
settled by emigrants from Scotland, in the year
1774. 15 miles S. from Danville, and 40 S. E.
Sabine Parish, La., c. h. at Murray. On the W.
border, middle. Watered by the Sabine and
Sabine County, Ts., c. h. at Milam. On the
E. border, middle.
Saccarappa, Me., in Westbrook, Cumberland
co. On the Presumpscot River, which affords
extensive hydraulic power at this place. N. from
Portland 4 miles, and S. W. from Augusta 56.
Sacketfs Harbor, N. Y., Jefferson co. On
Black River Bay, near the foot of Lake On-
tario, about 12 miles from the lake, and 185
N. W. from Albany. This place has the best
harbor on the lake, which is improved for ship
building and as a naval depot. The progress of
the settlement was very much accelerated during
the war of 1812, during which it became an im-
portant military position. The United States
have erected here three extensive stone barracks,
a military hospital, &c., affording accommo-
dations for 2000 troops. The New Orleans, a
110 gun ship, commenced during the war, re-
mains upon the stocks, under a large building on
Rocky Island. The place has considerable trade
by the lake and the River St. Lawrence. A good
water power has been created by a canal brought
from the Black River, a distance of about 12
miles, to the village. The fall thus obtained is
about 30 feet. This work was executed by the
citizens, at a cost of about $25,000, and is only
partially improved, as yet, for saw mills, grist
mills, and other manufacturing and mechanical
operations. After the war, the business of Sack-
ett's Harbor declined for a time, but it now par-
takes of the general prosperity of the country.
Saco, Me., port of entry, York co. Situated on
the E. side of Saco River. 71 miles S. S. W. from
Augusta, and S. W. from Portland. The Saco
River terminates its fantastic course at this place
by a fall, within a short distance, of 42 feet, and
mingling with tide water. The water power cre-
ated by these falls is very extensive; and Saco
enjoys the rare advantage of possessing a great
hydraulic power, united with facilities for naviga-
tion close at hand. These fine privileges are ex-
tensively improved, and are capable of further
development to an almost unlimited extent. 9
large cotton mills have been erected here, 1
woollen mill, a large number of saw mills, with
a variety of other mechanical establishments.
The advantages of this place for profitably carry-
ing on manufacturing operations are considered
as equal to those of any other place in New
From the mouth of the river a fine beach,
called Old Orchard Beach, extends about 5 miles
to the E., which is a place of considerable resort
for summer recreations. Another beach, of less
extent, connects Fletcher's Neck with the main
land, and has a house of entertainment at a place
called the Pool. Saco contains many handsome
buildings, and the scenery around it is pleasant.
There are 5 or 6 churches, some of which have
handsome houses of worship.