is one of the prettiest in the county. The surface
is gently undulating, with Pine and Breakneck
Hills, just high enough to give a fair view of the
delightful country surrounding them. The soil
is a strong, gravelly loam, rich, well cultivated,
and productive of all the fruits common to a
New England climate. Sudbury Biver passes
the southern border of this town. Stony and
Angle Brooks, and some smaller streams, afford
the town an ample water power for domestic use,
and some to spare. Southboro'- Centre and Fry-
ville are neat and pleasant villages. The Centre
village is about 5 miles from the Worcester Bail-
road depot at Westboro', from which to Worces-
ter is 12 miles W., and to Boston 32 E. N. E.
Southbridge, Ms., Worcester co. Incorporated
in 1816. It was taken mostly from Sturbridge,
but considerable portions from Charlton and
Dudley. It was formerly called Honest Town.
The land is generally uneven and hilly, but of
good quality for grain, fruit, pasturage, &c.
Quinebaug Biver, an excellent and permanent
mill stream, passes through the centre and prin-
cipal parts of this town, uniting with French Biv-
er, and other streams, to form a branch of the
Thames. The town has a good, productive soil,
with pleasant, attractive, and flourishing villages.
54 miles S. W. from Boston.
South Bristol, N. Y., Ontario co. Watered by
Mud Creek and some small streams flowing into
Canandaigua Lake. Surface hilly ; soil tolerably
good clay loam. 12 miles S. from Canandaigua,
and 205 W. from Albany.
South Brunswick, N. J., Middlesex co. Drained
by Lawrence's Brook and tributaries of Mill-
stone Biver. Surface somewhat hilly on the W.,
but elsewhere level; soil fertile sandy loam and
red shale. 12 miles S. W. from New Bruns-
Southbury, Ct., New Haven co. The principal
village in this town is pleasantly situated on the
Pampcraug, a fine mill stream, which passes
through the town.
The village of South Britain is about 4 miles
S. W. from the principal or central village ; it is
a flourishing place. This village is surrounded
by high hills and precipices, and has a romantic
and picturesque appearance. The surface of the
town is generally uneven; there is some good
meadow land on" Housatonic, Pamperaug, and
Snepaug Bivers, and the uplands are warm and
productive. Some traces of coal have been dis-
The northern part of the town is called White
Oak,'' from an oak tree under which the first per-
sons who explored the town encamped. 20 miles
N. W. from New Haven.
Southeast, N. Y., Putnam co. Watered by
Croton Biver. A hilly town, with a rich soil,
yielding large crops of grass and grain. 5 miles
E. from Carmel, and 113 S. from Albany.
Southfield, N. Y., Eichmond co. Bounded on
the S. E. by the Narrows and the Lower New
York Bay. Surface hilly on the N. and level on
the S., comprising some large salt marshes. On
the E. are situated Forts Tompkins and Bich-
mond, and some batteries for the protection of
New York Harbor. 2 miles E. from Eichmond,
and 155 S. from Albany.
South Hadley, Ms., Hampshire co. This town
was formerly the second parish of Hadley, and
was first settled about the year 1721. It lies on
the E. side of Connecticut Biver, and has a good
and productive soil. The surface is varied, from
that of the rich and lovely meadows on the Con-
necticut, to the lofty summit of Mount Holyoke.
The village in the centre of the town is very
pleasant; it lies about 3 miles N. of the village
at the falls. Hockanum is a small village nearly
opposite to Northampton, where we cross over to
visit Mount Holyoke. There is a canal in this
town, 2 miles long, on the E. side of Connecticut
Biver, and a dam across the river of 1100 feet,
which is constructed to overcome a fall in the
river of 50 feet. This dam produces a water
power of great extent. The canal has 5 locks,
and a cut through solid rock of 40 feet in depth,
and 300 in length. 5 miles S. by E. from North-
South Hampton, N. H,, Bockingham co. The
surface is uneven, and the soil of a good quality.
Powow Biver passes through it, affording valua-
ble mill sites. 50 miles S. E. from Concord, and
18 S. S. W. from Portsmouth. The Eastern
Bailroad passes near this town.
South Hero, Vt., Grand Isle co. Lake Cham-
plain bounds this town on all sides. The town
was formerly a part of North Hero, and was sep-
arated from it in 1788. It is supposed that all
the lands of this island county were once covered
by the waters of the lake, as clam shells are found
incorporated with the rocks in the highest places.
The scenery around these islands is beautiful.
This vicinity was a favorite resort for the Indians.
The Sand liar Bridge connects this island with
the main land at Milton. This town was char-
tered to Ethan Allen, Samuel Herrick, and others,
October 27, 1779. From Burlington 12 miles
N. W., and 16 S. S. W. from St. Albans.
Southold, N. Y., Suffolk co. This peninsula,
constituting the N. E. extremity of Long Island,
is bounded on the N. by Long Island Sound, and
E. and S. by Gardiner's and Great Peconic Bays.
It comprises Fisher's, Gull, Plum, Robbins's, and
several smaller islands. Surface chiefly level;
soil sandy. 15 miles E.from Riverhead, and 245
S. E. from Albany.
Southington, Ct., Hartford co. Southington
was taken from Farmington in 1779. There are
some elevations in the town, particularly in the
eastern part; but the soil is generally very good
for all kinds of grain and the pasturage bf cattle.
It is watered by the Quinnipiac, and contains a
neat village. 21 miles N. from New Haven.
The inhabitants are generally engaged in agri-
culture ; yet several kinds of manufactures re-
ceive considerable attention.
South Kingston, R. I., c. h. Washington co.
This town was formerly a part of North Kings-
ton. It is the largest town in the state, com-
prising 98 square miles, and within its limits
is the noted Point Judith. It has an uneven sur-
face, a soil of a gravelly loam, based on a granite
foundation. This town possesses great navigable
advantages ; its eastern and southern borders be-
ing washed by the Atlantic Ocean and Narragan-
set Bay. It contains a great number of fresh
water ponds, and a large salt pond ; one of the
fresh water ponds covers an area of between
3000 and 4000 acres.
The fisheries on the shores and in the ponds
of South Kingston are of considerable extent
and value. The fish taken are principally bass,
alewives, perch, and smelts. Some portion of
the inhabitants follow a maritime life for a liveli-