Towanda., Pa., Bradford co. This village is the
seat of justice, and is located on the right bank
of the Susquehanna River. Excellent bitumi-
nous coal has been discovered in the mountain
valleys S. W. from Towanda. 137 miles N. by
E. from Harrisburg.
Townsend, Ms., Middlesex co. This town was
formerly a part of Turkey Hills,'' or Fitchburg,
and was called North Town. The surface is gen-
erally level; there is a good deal of pine plain
in the town. The Squahicook, a good mill
stream, rises in this town, and joins the Nashua
in Shirley. On this stream, at the eastern part
of the town, is a pleasant, flourishing little vil-
lage, called Townsend Harbor. About 4 miles
W. from this is the west village. There is a fe-
male seminary in this place. At Centreville, a
neat village, is an academy for youth of both
sexes. Townsend west village lies 8 miles N.
N. E. from Fitchburg, and 42 N. W. from Boston.
. Townshend, Vt., Windham co. West River
passes through this town with considerable rapid-
ity. Along its banks are some tracts of good
intervale ; but the surface of the town is general-
ly hilly, and the soil more calculated for grazing
than tillage. The first settlement was com-
menced here in 1761, by Joseph Tyler, who was
soon joined by John Hazelton. 28 miles N. E.
from Bennington, and 95 S. from Montpelier.
Travis County, Ts., c. h. at Austin. S. central.
On both sides of the Colorado.
Tredypin, Pa., Chester co. Drained by Valley
Creek. Surface gently sloping; soil calcareous
Tremont, Me., Hancock co. New.
Trenton, Me., Hancock co. 7 miles S. by E.
from Ellsworth, on navigable w'aters.
Trenton, N. J. City, capital of the state, and
seat of justice of Mercer co. 29 miles N. E.
from Philadelphia, and 57 miles S. W. from New
York. Population in 1810. 3003 ; in 1820, 3942 ;
1830,3925; 1840,4035; 1850,6766.
Trenton is situated at the head of sloop navi-
gation, on the E. side of the Delaware River, op-
posite the lower falls. The Assunpink Creek
here enters the Delaware. At the foot of the
falls, or rapids, the Delaware is crossed by a fine
bridge, 1100 feet in length, consisting of 5 arches,
resting upon stone piers, which is considered a
superior specimen of this species of architect-
ure. It was built in 1806, at an expense of
$180,000. The Philadelphia and Trenton Rail-
road is carried over the river on this bridge. The
ground on which the city is built, as well as the
surface of the town generally, is considerably
varied. The districts of Mill Hill, Bloomsburg,
and Lamberton, included in the borough of
South Trenton, and extending about a mile
down the river, may in a general description be
regarded as a part of the city.
Trenton is regularly laid out, and has many
handsome stores, dwellings, and other edifices.
The public buildings in the city proper are the
state house, the governor's house, a public libra-
ry, a lyceum, and 7 or 8 houses of public wor-
ship. The state house is beautifully situated
near the Delaware, commanding a fine view
of the river and the surrounding country. It is
100 feet long and 60 feet wide, built of stone, and
stuccoed to resemble granite. Several of the
public oflices are fire-proof buildings. The gov-
ernor's house is a plain but commodious edifice.
The public buildings in South Trenton are the
court house, the state prison, and 4 or 5 churches.
The court house is a handsome edifice of brick,
stuccoed, in the Grecian style of architect-
ure, with a portico of 6 Ionic columns on each
end, and surmounted with a balcony. The state
prison is well situated, near the Delaware and
Raritan Canal, and the railroad from Phila-
delphia to New York. The walls, 20 feet high
and 3 feet thick, enclose an area of 4 acres. The
entrance is through the main building, in which
reside the family of the warden and his assist-
ants, to an observatory in the rear, from which
diverge, at an angle of 45 degrees, on each side,
the two corridors, in which are the cells for the
prisoners. If the enlargement of this penitentia-
ry is ever wanted, it is the design to add other
radii, in conformity to the plan of these corri-
The Delaware and Raritan Canal, which forms
an inland navigation from Brunswick to this
place, passes through the city. It is 42 miles
long, 75 feet wide, and 7 feet deep, and is suf-
ficient for the passage of small sloops. It crosses
the Assunpink Creek, on a fine stone aqueduct.
It was finished in 1834, at a cost of $2,500,000.
The Delaware is navigable for large boats
above the falls at Trenton, as far as Easton, Pa.
The New Jersey Railroad, between New York
and Philadelphia, via Newark, Elizabethtown,
and Princeton, passes through this place.
Trenton was first settled in 1720; and received
a city charter in 1792. It will ever be memora-
ble as the place where the favor of Providence
began decidedly to smile on the American arms
in the war of the revolution; for here, on the
night of December 25, 1776, at a gloomy period
of the war, Washington crossed the Delaware,
with 2400 of the continental troops, and sud-
denly attacked and captured 1000 Hessians of
the British army, which greatly revived the
spirit of the nation, and had an important influ-
ence on the final result of the contest.'' The
ground on which the Hessians laid down their
arms is a little to the N. E. of the state house.
Trenton is an admirable site for manufacturing
purposes, possessing, as it does, an extensive wa-
ter power, created by artificial means, from the
falls on the Delaware, and the waters of the As-
Trenton, N. Y., Oneida co. Watered by Nine
Mile and West Canada Creeks, on the latter of
which are situated the celebrated Trenton Falls.
Surface hilly; soil fertile clay loam. 12 mile*
N. from Utica, and 92 N. W. from Albany.
Trenton Falls, N. Y., Oneida co. On West
Canada Creek. 93 miles N. W. by W. from Al-
bany. See Fashionable Resorts.
Trenton, N. C., c. h. Jones co., is on Trent Riv-
er. 20 miles a little S. of W. from Newberq,
and by post road 139 S. E. from Raleigh.
Trescott, Me., Washington co. This is an At-
lantic town, and bounded N. E. by Lubec. It
comprises Moose Cove, Bailey's Mistake, and
Haycock Harbors, and is flourishing in its trade
and navigation. It was incorporated in 1827.
Triangle, N. Y., Broome co. The Tioughnioga
and Ostelic Rivers form a junction in this town,
the surface of which is hilly, and the soil well
suited to grass. 16 miles N. from Binghampton,
and 132 S. W. from Albany.
Trigg County, Ky., c. h. at Cadiz. Bounded
N. W. by Livingston co., N. E. by Caldwell and
Christian, S. E. by the state of Tennessee, and