Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 629

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 628 ...Page 630

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


rendering themselves prisoners of war. Only 60
of the men who went into this battle survived.
The slain were buried about a month afterwards
in one common grave. A beautiful monument
has recently been erected on the spot where their
ashes moulder, to commemorate their heroic
martyrdom in defence of their homes, their liber-
ties, and their country's cause.

Wilkesboro\ N. C., c. h. Wilkes co. On the S.
side of Yadkin River. 172 miles W. N. W. from

Wilkinson County, Ga., c. h, at Irwinton. This
county is bounded N. E. by Oconee River, or
Washington co., S. E. by Laurens, S. W. by
Twiggs, and N. W. by Jones.

Wilkinson County, Mi., c. h. at Woodville.
Mississippi River is on the W., New Feliciana,
La., S., Homochitto River, or Adams co., Mi.,
N. W., Homochitto River, or Franklin co., N. E.,
and Amite E.

Will County, Is., c. h. at Juliet. Bounded N.
by Du Page and Cook counties, E. by Indiana,
S. by Iroquois and Vermilion, and W. by Grun-
dy and Kendall counties. Watered by Des-
plaines River and Kankakee River and their

Williams County, O., c. h. at Defiance. This
county has an excellent soil, very valuable for
grain and grass. It is well supplied with water
by many streams, the principal of which are the
Mauwee, Auglaise, Little St. Joseph's, and Tif-
fin. On Maumee River are the Sulphur Springs;
they are clear and cold, and have a strong odor,
perceptible for a quarter of a mile. The Wabash
and Erie Canal passes through the county, and
will increase its business.

Williamsburg, Ms., Hampshire co. This town-
ship was granted, in 1736, to volunteers, for ser-
vices against the Indians in 1704. It was attached
to Hatfield, and called Hatfield Addition, until
its incorporation in 1771. The surface is quite
elevated, but pleasantly variegated by hills and
valleys; the soil is warm and fertile. It is wa-
tered by Mill River, a fine stream, which passes
through the centre of the town. Haydensville, a
flourishing village, is located in Williamsburg.
8 miles N. W. from Northampton, and 95 W.
from Boston.

Williamsburg, Mi., c. h. Covington co. Situ-
ated between the head branches of Leaf River.
82 miles S. E. from Jackson.

Williamsburg, N. Y., in the township of Bush-
wick, Kings co., on Long Island, about 3 miles
N. E. of Brooklyn, and opposite to the N. part of
the city of New York. It lies extended about a
mile and a half on the bank of the East River,
which has a bold elevation from the water at this
place. Here are several large and substantial
docks, with ample depth of water, for safe and
convenient moorings for vessels of the largest
class. It is but a few years since Williamsburg
was but an inconsiderable village. An act of
incorporation was obtained for it as a village in
1827, a steam ferry having previously been estab-
lished to the foot of Grand Street, New York, by
which an impulse was given to its prosperity. A
steam ferry boat also now plies between this
place and Peck Slip, at the lower part of New
York, which accommodates a rapidly-increasing
number of merchants and other men of business,
who come here to find a pleasant residence out
of the city. So great has been the progress of
improvement, that the ancient village of Bush-
wick. which was formerly quite distinct from that
of Williamsburg, can scarcely be identified.

Williamsburg has now about 30 streets graded
and regulated, some of which are paved, and one
Macadamized; and the number of streets per-
manently laid out amounts to over 70. It has
several churches of different denominations,
many large and handsome blocks of stores and
warehouses, and numerous dwellings enjoying
the best advantages of situation. The population
in 1840 was 5094; in 1845, 11,338; and in 1850,

Williamsburg District, S. C., Williamsburg
and Kingstree shire towns. This district has
Santee River on the S. W., Sumpter district N.
W., Lynch's Creek, or Marion district, N. E., and
Georgetown S. E. A branch of Great Pedee,
called Black River, drains the district.

Williamsburg, Ya., c. h. James City co. This
village was formerly the metropolis of Virginia.
It is situated on the E side of a small creek that
runs into James River, 32 miles E. by S. from
Richmond, and 175 S. by E. from North Caro-
lina. The streets are laid out with great regular-
ity, and the public edifices exhibit the ruins of
comparative grandeur, particularly the Capitol
and college. The college, called the College of
William and Mary, was endowed by the royal
government with a clear and certain revenue of
.£3000 per annum. Though built to accommo-
date 100 pupils, it has seldom more than 40.
Attempts have recently been made to revive the
former prosperous state of this institution. See

Williamson County, Is., c. h. at Bainbridge.
Bounded N. by Franklin co., E. by Gallatin, S.
by Johnson and Union, and W. by Jackson co.
Drained by Muddy Creek, a branch of the Mis-
sissippi, and Saline, a branch of the Ohio River.

Williamson, N. Y., Wayne co. Watered by
several small streams flowing into Lake Ontario,
which bounds it on the N. 17 miles N. W. from
Lyons, and 200 N. of W. from Albany.

Williamson County, Te., c. h. at Franklin,
Bedford bounds it on the S. E., Duck River or
Murray S., Dickson W., Davidson N., and Ruth-
erford N. E. Harpeth River, a branch of Cum-
berland, rises in this county, and drains its north-
ern side. Duck River and its branches water the
southern parts.

Williamson County, Ts., c. h. at Georgetown.
E. of the Colorado.

Williamsport, la., c. h. Warren co. On the W.
bank of Wabash River. 78 miles W. N. W. from

Williamsport, Md., Washington co. On theE
side of Potomac River, at the entrance of Coneco-
cheague Creek, 107 miles N. W. from Annapolis.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal passes through it

Williamsport, Fa,., Washington co. This place
was formerly called Parkinson's Ferry. It is at
the mouth of Pigeon Creek, on Monongahela
River. 18 miles E. from Washington.

Williamsport, Pa., c. h. Lycoming co. On the
N. bank of the W. fork of Susquehanna River.
93 miles N. from Harrisburg. The Pennsylvania
Canal passes through it, and a railroad, 25 miles
long, connects it with Ralston. 65 miles S. from
Tioga, and 160 N, W. from Philadelphia.

Williamston, N. C., c. h. Martin co. On the S
side of Roanoke River. 25 miles W. from Plym-
outh, and 53 N. W. from Washington, on Pam-
lico River.

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.