Williamstown, Ky., c. h. Grant county. On the
E. side of Eagle Creek, a branch of Kentucky
River, and 49 miles N. N. E. from Frankfort.
Williamstown, Ms., Berkshire co. This town is
situated in a large and fertile valley, surrounded
by romantic elevations, and watered by Hoosic
and Green Rivers. It was first settled about the
year 1751, and was called Hoosic by the Indians.
The general character of the soil is clayey ; but
in few places is the clay so hard and stiff as to be
injurious to its fertility. Loam predominates in
some places, and a few spots of some extent may
be called gravelly. Some of the best lands lie
along the Hoosic and Green Rivers. But the
hills, also, and generally the mountain sides, al-
most, and sometimes quite up to their tops, have
a good, and, in many places, an excellent soil,
suited both to grazing and tillage. The village in
this town is delightfully situated on a gentle rise
from the river. Williams College, in this town,
is handsomely located. (See Colleges.) 125 miles
W. N. W. from Boston, and 24 N. from Pittsfield.
About 5 miles W. from North Adams, and thence
by railroad to Boston, 171.
Williamstown, N. Y., Oswego co. Watered by
a branch of Fish Creek, and by Salmon Creek.
Surface level; soil moist sandy loam, well suited
to grass. 28 miles E. from Oswego, and 137 N.
W. from Albany.
Williamsville, N. Y., Erie co. On Ellicott's
Creek. 278 miles W. from Albany. Large quan-
tities of water lime, or cement, are produced from
Williamstown, Vt., Orange co. Williamstown
lies on the height of land between Winooski and
White Rivers, and contains no large streams. A
brook, which here runs down a steep hill towards
the W., divides naturally, and while one part runs
to the N., forming Stevens's Branch of Winooski
River, the other runs to the S., forming the
second branch of White River. The turnpike
from Royalton to Montpelier passes along these
streams, and is known by the name of the Gulf
Road, from the deep ravine through which it
passes in this town, near the head of the second
branch. In this ravine a medicinal spring has
been discovered. Williamstown is timbered prin-
cipally with hard wood, and the soil is well adapt-
ed to the production of grass. There is a small
but pleasant village near the centre of the town.
The settlement was commenced in June, 1784.
From Montpelier 10 miles S. E., and about the
same distance N. W. from Chelsea.
Willimantic, Ct., Windham co. A factory vil-
lage, on the N. side of Willimantic River. 32
miles E. from Hartford, and 30 N. from New
London by railroad.
Willinboro', N. J., Burlington co. Bounded N.
W. by the Delaware River. Surface mostly level;
soil good sandy loam. 7 miles N. W. from Mount
Williston, Vt., Chittenden co. This is an ex-
cellent farming town, of a rich soil, with an un-
even surface, but not mountainous. Williston is
watered by Winooski River and some smaller
streams, but its water power is small. Thomas
Chittenden was the father of this town. He came
here in 1774. When the Vermont constitution
was established, in 1778, Mr. Chittenden was se-
lected as a candidate for governor, to which of-
fice he was annually elected, with the exception
of one year, till his death, in 1797. 27 miles W.
N. W. from Montpelier. This town adjoins Bur-
lington, and is easy of access to lake and railroad
Willoughby, O. A township in Lake co., lying
on the shore of Lake Erie, and extending 8 miles
from N. to S., and 5 from E. to W. The lands
are productive and highly cultivated.
There is a flourishing village in this township,
of the same name, situated on the Chagrin River,
two miles and a half from its mouth, 11 miles S.
W. from Parisville, the county seat, 19 miles E.
from Cleveland, and 158 N. E. from Columbus.
This village, and the township to which it belongs,
were both formerly called Chagrin, from the name
of the river. This name was changed for Wil-
loughby in 1834. The first settlement was made
here by the eccentric pioneer, David Abbot, and
others with him, about the year 1799. The first
organized town meeting was held in 1815.
This was the site, for some years, of a flourish-
ing and well-conducted Medical Institution, which
was founded in 1834, and provided with a spacious
brick edifice, pleasantly located, and with an am-
ple corps of instructors. This institution has
since been removed to Columbus. The village
contains a Presbyterian and a Methodist church.
Tradition says that a bloody battle was fought
here in early days between hostile Indian tribes ;
and some human bones, which were thrown up
when preparing the foundations for the Medical
College, have been supposed to be the bones of
Willow Grove, Pa., Montgomery co. In a
beautiful vale, 13 miles N. from Philadelphia, and
111 E. from Harrisburg. The buildings are chiefly
of stone. It is a place of summer residence for
the citizens from Philadelphia.
Willsboro', N. Y., Essex co. Watered by Bo-
quet River and some other tributaries of Lake
Champlain, which bounds it on the E. Surface
mostly level on the E., and hilly on the W.; soil
rich clay loam. 15 miles N. E. from Elizabeth,
add 137 N. N. E. from Albany.
Willshire, 0., c. h. Van Wert co.
Wilmington, De., New Castle co. City, and
port of entry. Situated between Brandywine and
Christiana Creeks, 1 mile above their junction, 47
miles N. from Dover, and 28 miles S. W. from
Philadelphia. Population in 1830, 6628 ; in 1840,
8367; in 1850, 13.931. Both the business and
population of the place have rapidly increased
within a few years past. It is situated in the midst
of one of the finest agricultural districts in the Mid-
dle States. Its site, like that of Philadelphia, and
of Baltimore, is on the outer edge of the primi-
tive formation, and on the inner edge of the sea
sand alluvion. The city is built on ground grad-
ually rising to the height of 112 feet above the
level of tide water. It is laid out with regularity;
the streets, which are broad and airy, crossing
each other at right angles. It is supplied with
water from the Brandywine, by waterworks, like
those of Philadelphia. The place, is well built;
the houses are generally of brick, and many of
them are elegant. It has several churches of dif-
ferent denominations, and is distinguished for its
excellent private schools. The principal pub-
lic buildings are a city hall, a hospital and
almshouse, two market houses, several banks, and
an arsenal. The hospital is a large edifice, 126
feet long, and 3 stories high, located upon a fine,
Wilmington is the largest place in Delaware,
and, next to Philadelphia, the greatest mart of