ficult, being narrow and crooked. The other
harbor is Cape Neddock, about 4 miles N. E. of
the former, navigable about a mile from the sea
at full tides only: it having a sand bar at its
mouth sufficient to prevent vessels of any consid-
erable burden passing at low water.
The settlement of this place began about the
year 1630. It was then called Agamenticus,
(see Agamenticus,) from a mountain of that name
in the N. part of the town. This town was nearly
destroyed by the Indians and French in 1692, who,
coming on snowshoes, surprised the unwary in-
habitants at early morning. 45 miles S. W. from
Portland, and 9 N. by E. from Portsrr\outh, N. H.
York, Mn., Washtenaw co. 46 miles W. from
York, N. Y., Livingston co. On the W. side of
the Genesee River, and drained by two or three of
its tributaries. Surface pretty level, sloping to-
wards the river; soil very fertile, producing fine
crops of grain. 7 miles N. W. from Genesee, and
237 N. of W. from Albany.
York County, Pa., c. h. at York. Maryland is on
the S. of this county, Adams co., Pa., W., Cum-
berland co. N. W., and Susquehanna River N. E.
It is principally drained by Conewago and Co-
dorus Creeks. It has a varied soil and hilly
York, Pa., c. h. York co. Situated on both
sides of Codorus Creek. The village is laid out
on a plain, with streets at right angles to each
other, and contains the county buildings, jail,
academy, and almshouse. 21 miles S. W. by W.
from Lancaster, and 11 nearly W. from Columbia,
on the Susquehanna. It is connected by rail-
road with Baltimore and Philadelphia.
York Haven, Pa., York co. Situated opposite
Portsmouth, on the W. side of Susquehanna River,
below Conewago Falls, and 14 miles S. from
York Sulphur Springs, Pa.. Adams co. S. from
Carlisle 15, and from Harrisburg 21 miles. The
springs at this place have valuable properties,
and are provided with good accommodations for
York District, S. C., Yorkville chief town. This
district is bounded by Lincoln and Rutherford
counties, N. C., N., Catawba River, or Lancaster
district, E., Chester S., and Broad River, or Union
and Spartanburg districts, S. W,
York County, Va., c. h. at York. York River
bounds this county on the N. and N. E., Eliza-
beth City and Warwick counties S., and James
city co. S. W. and N. W.
Yorkshire, N. Y., Cattaraugus co. Watered by
Cattaraugus Creek and some of its branches.
This is mostly a level town, with a fertile soil.
15 miles N. E. from Ellicottyille, and 274 W. from
Yorktown, N. Y., Westchester co. Watered by
Croton River and several small ponds. Surface
hilly and mountainous in the N. part; soil mostly
of good quality. 16 miles N. from White Plains,
and 117 S. from Albany.
Yorktown, Va., c. h York co. Port of entry. 70
miles E. S. E. from Richmond. It is on the S.
side of York River, opposite Gloucester. This
place is memorable as the scene of 'the surren-
der of Lord Cornwallis, October 19, 1781. The
place of surrender was on the S. side of the road
to Hampton, about half a mile E. of the town.
The Moore House, on Temple Farm, yet stand-
ng on the banks of the river, about a mile below
Yorktown, is memorable as the house in which
Lord Cornwallis signed the articles of capitula-
tion. Various other localities of special interest
are pointed out as being connected with this im-
portant event, by which the war of the American
revolution was brought to a successful close.
Yorktown was incorporated in 1705, and was
once a flourishing village, with considerable com-
merce. The Swan Tavern here is said to be the
oldest in Virginia. There are now- not more than
40 or 50 dwellings, many of which are going
rapidly to decay. On the banks of its beautiful
river stands the ruins of an old church, built 150
years ago, and burned by the great fire in 1814
There are also, on what is called the Temple
Farm, many old ruins indicating the site of an
Yorkville, N. Y., New York co. On the Haerlem
Railroad, 5 miles N. from the City Hall. See
New York City.
Yorkville, S. C., c. h. York district. On a
branch of Broad River. 79 miles N. by W. from
York County, Ca., c. h. at Fremont. Between
the W. bank of the Sacramento and the coast
range of mountains.
YoungsviUe, Pa., Warren co. A village by post
road 328 miles N. W. from Harrisburg.
Ypsilanti, Mn., Washtenaw co. On both sides
of Huron River, and also drained by Stony
Creek. 30 miles W. by S. from Detroit.
Yuba County, Ca., c. h. at Marysville. E. of
Feather River, on the slope of the mountains.
Zanesfield, O., Logan co. The 11th of October,
1819, this town was laid out. It took its name
from the original proprietor, Isaac Zane. It lies
near the source of Mad River-, 47 miles N. W.
from Columbus, and 5 S. E. from Bellefontaine.
Zanesville, 0. Shire town of Muskingum co.
On the E. side of Muskingum River, opposite
the entrance of the Licking River. 54 miles E.
of Columbus, and about 80 miles from Marietta,
by the course of the Muskingum, or 65 miles by
land. It is on the national road, which hero
crosses the Muskingum. 74 miles W. from
At the point where Zanesville is located, the
river sweeps round a kind of horseshoe curve,
embosoming the town, and separating it from the
villages of West Zanesville, which lies opposite,
above the mouth of the Licking, South Zanes-
ville, immediately below, and Putnam, still farther
down. A fine bridge connects Zanesville with
Putnam ; and another, about half a mile above,
is thrown over from Zanesville main street to a
point in the river where the bridge forks; one of
the branches connecting with South Zanesville,
on the route of the national road, and the other
connecting with West Zanesville. In its course
round this curve, through a distance of about a
mile and three quarters, the Muskingum falls 8
or 10 feet, which, by the aid of a dam, gives a
fall of over 16 feet-; thus furnishing a very exten-
sive water power for hydraulic purposes/ There
is also a considerable water power on the Licking
River. Besides these extensive facilities for busi-
ness, there is an abundant supply of bituminous
coal in the hills which surround Zanesville, ren-
dering the employment of steam power cheaply
and easily available.
The principal manufacturing establishments at
Zanesville, including those located at South and