Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
176 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
China sent 125 soldiers into the army in the war for the Union, of
whom 10 wrere lost. Major James P. Jones and Mr. Joseph Stuart
are among former distinguished citizens. Eli and Sybil Jones,
preachers of the Society of Friends, have become widely known and
esteemed, even as far as Palestine, by their ministry. The Baptists,
Methodists, Friends, and others have churches in the town. China
has twenty-one public schoolhouses, estimated at $3,000. There is
also a library of about 500 volumes. The valuation of estates in 1870
was $650,588. In 1880 it was $571,203. The population in 1870 was %
2,118. In 1880 it was 1,769.
Clifton forms the south-eastern corner of Penobscot County.
It is bounded on the north by Bradley, on the west by Eddington and
Holden, on the south and east by Otis, Mariaville and Amherst, towns
in Hancock County. Its dimensions are about 7 miles north and
south and 5 east and west. The surface is very irregular, showing
several high hills, of which Peaked Mountain, on the eastern border, is
the most extensive. Others are named Little Peaked, Eagle, Bald, etc.
Near the centre of the town lies Parks Pond, with Little Owls Pond
near by. Fitts Pond is near the western border, with Snowshoe Pond
near on the north. Hopkinss Pond lies on the eastern line, Spectacle
and Burnt Ponds on the southern, and Nichols Pond, the largest, at
the north-western corner. Parks Mill Stream and Bradbury Brook are
the chief streams. On the first is a saw-mill for long and short lumber.
The outcropping rocks are granitic ; the soil, clay loam. Wheat is the
largest crop. The forest trees are chiefly hardwood. The number of *
maple trees along the roadsides is noticeable and agreeable.
The settlement of this town was commenced about 1815 ; Benjamin
Penney, Eben Davis and a Mr. Parks were among the first settlers. The
town was incorporated in 1848 under the name Maine; but this not
proving satisfactory, the name was changed to the present one. The
town is 12 miles east of Bangor, on the air-line stage-route to Aurora.
The Free Baptists have a commodious church, and sustain a minis-
ter. Clifton has five public schoolhouses, valued with other school
property at $1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $58,752.
In 1880 it was $44,259. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 4
per cent. The population in 1870 was 348. In 1880 it wTas 350.
Clinton lies between the Kennebec and Sebasticook Rivers,
and is the most north-easterly town in Kennebee County. It is bounded
on the north by Canaan and Pittsfield, in Somerset County, east by
Burnham, in Waldo County, south by Benton, and west by Fairfield,
in Kennebee County. It contains several small streams, aside from the m
two rivers that bound it. The town was within the limits of the
Plymouth Patent. At the time of settlement (about 1775) there were
abundant forests of pine, while the Sebasticook and other streams offered
ample water-power. The first political organization wdthin the town-
ship was in the plantation of Hancock, at or before 1790, at which date
the inhabitants numbered 278. It was incorporated as the one hundred
and first town in Maine under the name of Clinton in 1795. Among
those early in business in the place were Joseph and James North, sons
of Hon. Joseph North of Augusta. They operated in lumber, and were
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2