Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
also engaged in trade. Another of the early business men of the town
was Gershom Flagg, son of Gershom Flagg, of Boston, who had charge
of building Fort Halifax, at the mouth of the Sebastieook. The latter
was also one of the proprietors of the Plymoutb Patent, and received
from this company a grant of land in the township. At the village in
the south-eastern part of the town are one or more saw-mills, and a
door and sash factory, a grain-mill, a mill with carding, cloth-dressing
and brush-block machinery. Pishons Ferry, on the Kenebec, is the
other principal centre of business. The trunk line of the Maine Cen-
tral Railroad runs through the south-eastern portion of the town. The
surface of the town is quite level. The soil is a clay loam, yielding good
crops of hay.
There are Methodist, Union and Baptist meeting-houses in the town.
Clinton has thirteen public schoolhouses, including the high school-
house, valued at $4,900. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $428,-
812. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 13 mills on the dollar. The
population in 1870 was 1,766. In 1880 it was 1,665.
Coal Kiln Corners, a small village in Scarborough,
Codyville Plantation is situated in the north-eastern
part of Washington County, 40 miles from Calais. Jhckson Brook
bounds it on the north, Topsfield on the west and Waite on the south.
The route of the projected Calais and Penobscot Railroad lies along
the western border of the township, and the European and North
American Railway passes through the Jackson Brook Plantation adja-
cent. on the north, and also through the next township on the east, in
each of which there are stations.
Tom ah Mountain, estimated to be 2,000 feet in height, is the greatest
elevation. The ponds are Tomah, Simmons, Butcher and Puppy, the
first 3 miles long by 1 mile wide. The principal streams are Tomah
Stream, Little Tomah, and Beaver Brook. The rock is chiefly granitic.
The soil is a dark red loam. The principal crops are wheat, potatoes
and corn. A large variety of trees are found in the forests. The roads
are excellent. There is one bridge 150 feet in length, one 60, and
The Methodists of the plantation employ a minister, and much in,-,
terest is taken in sustaining public worship. Codyville has one public
schoolhouse, and the school property is valued at $650. The valuation
of estates in 1870 was $27,919. In 1880 it was $43,757. The rate of
taxation in the latter year was 7 3-10 mills on the dollar. The popu-
lation in 1870 was 62. In 1880 it had increased about one-third.
Columbia is situated in the south-western part of Washington
County, 19 miles west of Machias. Columbia Falls bounds it on the
east, Harrington on the south, and Cherryfield on the west. On
the north is an unnamed township. The highest elevation of land in
the town is Sugar Hill,—about 100 feet in height. In the northern part
of the town is an extensive heath. Schoodiac Lake, at the north-
western corner of the town, is the principal sheet of water, being about
2 miles in length. The base line of the United States Coast Survey is
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2