Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 193
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


range lies along the middle portion of the eastern line, and Mount
Bigelow (1 mile in height) occupies a large portion of the south-east-
ern part of the town. Hurricane Falls on Dead River, near the north-
eastern part, present an attractive view and afford a good water-

Though the borders of the township are billy, tbe central portion
is chiefly rich interval, yielding large quantities of hay. The planta-
tion is 40 miles N.N.W. of Skowhegan ; and is on the stage-road from
North Anson to Eustis.

Dead River Plantation sent 12 men to the defence of tbe Union
cause in the war of the Rebellion, losing 2. The Methodists of the.
plantation hold meetings and employ a minister. There are two pub-
lic schoolhouses, and other school property to the value of $500. The
valuation of estates in 1870 was $38,420. In 1880 it was $22,982. The
rate of taxation in the latter year was 26 mills on the dollar. The
population in 1870 was 100. In 1880 it wras 113.

Deblois lies on the western border of Washington County, 42
miles N.N.W. of Machias. Beddington lies on the north, Cherryfield
on the south, an unnamed township on the east, and another in Wash-
ington County on the west. The area is ahout 36 square miles. The
surface is but moderately uneven. Granite is the prevailing rock.
The soil is a good sandy loam, free from rocks, and easily cultivated.
Grass and potatoes are the principal crops. A great variety of trees
are found in the woods.

The principal streams are the east branch of the Narraguagus River,
and the tributaries of this stream. Great Falls on the East Branch
are near the middle of the western side of the town, near the stage-
road from Cherryfield to Beddington. There is here a small village.
A shingle-mill finds here sufficient power without the aid of a dam.
The falls extends about half a mile, with an aggregate descent of about
50 feet. Within a short distance of these falls are thousands of acres
of forest.

Deblois was a part of Bingham’s eastern “Million-acre pur-
chase.” This township was sold by Colonel Black, the proprietor’*
agent, to William W. Woodburry and Daniel C. Emery, the deed tt
be delivered on the payment of the purchase-money. While it wat
held under this condition, the purchasers conveyed their interest to the
City Bank of Portland, which paid the baiance of the purchase-money.
It was subsequently disposed of by them to William Freeman, Jr., of
Cherryfield. When, in 1850, the town was incorporated, it received
its name in honor of Thomas Amory Deblois, who was president of
the hank which had been the proprietor.

Deblois sent 12 men to the defense of the Union in the war of the
Rebellion, of whom 2 were lost. There is a Free Baptist society in
town, who sustain worship most of the time. There is one public
schoolhouse, the total school property being valued at $1,200. The
valuation in 1870 was $18,010. In 1880 it was $17,886. The rate of
taxation in the latter year was 2^ per cent. The population in 1870
was 139. In 1880 it was 105.

Decker’s Corner, a small village in Clinton, Kennebec


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2