Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON. PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
190 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
Mills, and other points afford views worthy the attention of visitors.
The scene of an extensive land-slide into the Presumpscot, which forced
the river from its bed, possesses interest to the geologist.
Besides the Universalist church just mentioned, there are in town
two Congregational churches and one Methodist. The educational
facilities in Deering are excellent. The schools are graded from pri-
mary to high. It has twelve public schoolhouses, and its school property
is valued at $40,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $2,194,096.
In 1880 it was $2,585,825. The rate of taxation in 1880 was $1.85 on
$100. The population in 1870 was 3,795. By the census of 1880 it was
Deer Isle, in Hancock County, is a group of three islands
lying between the northern part of Isle au Haute Bay and Brooklin
and Sedgewick on the mainland. It is 35 miles south-south-west of
Ellsworth. The town includes Little Deer Isle, Great Deer Isle, and
Eagle Isle. The first mentioned and most northerly of the group has
an area of 1,000 acres, which is well suited to agriculture. Great Deer
Isle is about 10 miles in length, from north to south, and near 5 miles
in width. The surface in the northern part is rather level, while in the
south it is rough. Micaceous limestone was undoubtedly the parent
rock of Deer Isle, but it has been crystalized, and is thus rendered unfit
for quicklime, though suitable for architectural sculpture. At the
Reach is a quarry which is operated for this marble, affording a
yearly product of 4,000 tons of rough and cut stone ; while roofing-
slate of a good quality has been found on Little Deer Isle. At this
place, it is stated, are found conclusive evidences of an extinct volcano,
which in some of the by-gone years, belched forth its showers of ashes,
and poured out its molten lava. As will be apparent, the transition
series of rocks is well characterized in these islands. Large deposits
of silver, also, have recently been found, and two companies now
hold property on the island for the purpose of mining this mineral.
The soil is loamy, and the largest crop is potatoes. The forest
trees are principally spruce and fir. Along the roadsides in the most
thickly settled parts of the town, are many shade trees from five to
forty years old, of various kinds, but mostly chestnut. Adams Hill, is
the principal eminence, reaching a height of 256 feet above the sea.
Torrys and Marshalls are the only considerable ponds, one being a
mile long, the other two miles. Smiths mineral spring has a local celeb-
rity. The manufactures consist of sails, wrought granite; while at
Oceanville and at Greens Landing, are establishments for the packing
of the various kinds of fish.
Deer Isle was incorporated in 1789, being the fourth town in the
county. The first known visit of Europeans was that of Weymouth
in 1605. It early received its name from the abundance of deer in its
forests. The first settlement was commenced by William Eaton near
what is now known as the Scott Farm, in 1762. The first church was
built in 1773, and the first preacher was Rev. Mr. Noble; the first
pastor was Rev. Peter Powers. In 1809, Rev. Joseph Brown, a dis-
senter, was installed. The first wTffte child was Timothy Billings,
born May, 1764. The privations of the settlers during the war of the
Revolution were terrible.
The number of Deer Islanders in the service of the Union during
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2