Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 271
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


Minerals and ores are found as follows : Brooksville, iron pyrites ;
Blue Hill,—fluor spur, galena (lead ore), wolfram (ore of tin), hydrate
of silica, manganese, limestone, phosphate of lime ; Bucksport,—lime-
stone, clay slate, quartz; Castine,—quartz, argillacious slate, plastic clay;
Deer Isle,—asbestos, novaculite, limestone. Veins of zinc and copper
occur in No. 7 and in Gouldsboro. Bog iron is found in almost every
town. Gold has been found in Bucksport, Orland and Surry.


An abstract of observations in temperature in Surry shows that the
average degree of greatest cold for four year§ was 12° 20' below zero ;
and the average of greatest heat for the same length of time was 92°
Fahrenheit. The mean summer temperature for the same time was
67° 21', and the yearly mean 44° 44'. Hancock County has two cus-
toms districts, two ports of entry, six deputy districts, eight ports of
delivery, twenty-six hailing ports, and thirteen United States custom
house officials. The county was organized in 1789, being named in
honor of John Hancock. Portions wrnre taken from it in 1816 to form
Penobscot, and in 1827, to form Waldo. Ellsworth has been the shire
town since 1837. The valuation of estates in the county in 1870 was
$7,554,073. In 1880 it was $7,897,488. The population in 1870 was
36,495. In 1880 it was 38,131.

Hanover, in Oxford County, lies on the north side of Bethel,
of which it was formerly a part. It constituted the north-east corner
of the latter town, and is separated from it by the Androscoggin River.
Its form is that of a triangle, having, for its base the irregular line ot
the Androscoggin. The extreme length in a direct line on the river is
about 5 miles. Rumford bounds it on the north-east, and Newry on
the north-west. The surface is broken and uneven. Bear and Bart-
lett mountains are the principal eminences, and Howe’s Ledge a prom-
inent object. Howard’s Pond, with an area of 250 acres, has an alti-
tude of 365 feet above the Androscoggin into which it empties
miles southward. The forests contain the large variety of trees com-
mon in the region. The town has some of the best interval farms in
the State. The soil is a fine loam, yielding well of all crops, but chiefly
hay. The rock in general is a coarse granite.

The water-power is on the outlet of Howard’s Pond. There is a
dam near the pond. At Hanover Village, a canal on each side of the
stream conducts water’to the mills, of which there are seven. There
is also a steam mill for the manufacture of dowels. The other manu-
factures are woollens, leather, boots and shoes, furniture, flour, meal,
long and short lumber, sash, blinds and doors, rakes, etc. Locke’s
Mills, on the Grand Trunk Railway, 7 miles distant, is the nearest
station. The town is on the stage-route from Andover to Bryant’s
Pond, another station on the Grand Trunk.

Hanover was first settled by Nathaniel Segar, from Newton, Mass.,
in the spring of 1774. He was subsequently in the United States
service until 1780, when he again became a resident of Hanover. In
1781, he was taken captive by the Indians on their last hostile incur-
sion in Maine, and was held a prisoner by them for sixteen months.
He then a third time returned to this place, where he spent the remain-
der of his days. In 1780 and soon after came Jonathan Bean, Jesse
Duston, Moses and Stephen Bartlett. About the year 1792 Phineas
Howard, from Temple, N. H., purchased the unoccupied land in this


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2