Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
276 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
The Methodists, Universalists and Baptists have cburch organiza-
tions in Hartford. The number of public schoolhouses is fourteen, and
the school property is valued at $4,‘200. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $419,624. In 1880 it was $300,975. The population in 1870
was 996. In 1880 it was 863.
HRTtlRIld. is situated in the south-eastern part of Somerset
County. St. Albans and Palmyra bound it on the east, Harmony on
the north, Pittsfield and Canaan on the south, and Cornville on the ^
west. The town is irregular in form, its greatest length, north and
south, and east and west, being about 7-j miles. The surface is very
uneven, but it is without high hills. Huff Hill is the most elevated
land in the town, being about 200 feet above the surrounding country.
The underlying rock is chiefly granite. The soil, in parts, is clayey
loam, in others sandy loam, somewhat stony, but fertile. The crops
are chiefly hay, and the common variety of Maine farms.
The ponds in this town bear the names,—Moose, Stafford, Morrill,
Starbird, Bog and Withee. The first of these, lying on the northern
and eastern border, is the largest, having an area of 12 miles. Black
Stream and Sebastieook River, the outlet of Moose Pond are the
largest streams. The principal water power of the town is on the
Sebastieook, at Hartland Village, near the eastern border of the town.
There is here a factory manufacturing shawls and cassimeres, a satinet
and carding factory, a grist-mill, two lumber-mills, a door, sash and
blind factory, a furniture-factory, two tanneries, one for sole and one
for upper leather, a carriage-factory, etc. The shawl-factory employs "*1
about 75 hands, and the two tanneries 50. The East Somerset Agri-
cultural Society has for many years held its fairs in this town, where
they have ample grounds and a good building. Hartland Village is
19 miles east of Skowhegan. Pittsfield Station, on the Maine Centra]
Railroad, 7 miles southward, is the nearest railroad connection. The
stage-line from Pittsfield to Harmony runs through the town.
Hartland was formerly called Warrenstown, No. 3, from Dr. John
Warren, of Boston, who was the first private proprietor of the town-
ship ; and from him the settlers derived their titles. The settlement
was organized as a plantation in 1811, and incorporated as a town
under its present name Feb. 17, 1820.
There are Baptist, Free Baptist and Methodist societies in the'
town, and the first has a church-edifice. The Hartland Academy has
furnished a good portion of the education of many prominent and
successful men, and is still sustained. The number of public school-
houses in the town is eleven ; and the value of the school property is
$2,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $264,180. In 1880 it
was $366,221. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 1^ per
cent. The population in 1870 was 1,120. In 1880 it was 1,047.
Haynesville is situated in the south-eastern part of Aroos-
took County, on the old Military Road. The post-office, at the
village, a little south of the centre of the township, is 24 miles south-
west of Houlton. It is bounded east by Amity and Orient, north by
A township, south by Bancroft and Weston, west by Glenwood Plan-
tation. The town is 12 miles long, north and south, by 6 east and
west. Tbe only pond shown upon the township map is the little
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2