Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 288
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


gate area is about 3,000 acres. The highest part of the territory is the
middle of the island “ Isle au Haut,” which exhibits to passers on the
sea the appearance of a saddle. Its shore is bold, with steep, high cliffs,
which led to its early name of High Island. The first settlement is said
to have been made by Anthony Merchant, in 1772, on the island which
has since borne his name. Great Isle au Haut was settled in 1792, by
Peltiah Bartor. Kimball’s Island was first settled during the Revolu-
tion by Seth Webb, a noted hunter, and from whom Webb’s Pond, in
Eastbrook, has its name.


The occupation of the inhabitants is wholly related to the sea.
There is in town an establishment for canning lobsters, and a boat-
builder’s shop. The nearest post-office is Green’s Landing, on Deer

The town has a church edifice, occupied as a union house. There
are two public schoolhouses, which, with their appurtenances, are
valued at $200. The valuation of estates in 1880 was $32,756. The
population in 1880 was 274.

Islesboroug’h consists of one long island and several small
ones in Penobscot Bay, Waldo County. The largest of these,
formerly known as “Long Island,” is 11 miles in length, and three
miles in width in the widest part, but scarcely more than three rods in
the narrowest, which is at the middle. The other islands are Seven-
Iiundred-acre Island, Warren’s, Spruce, Ensign, Job’s, Lime, Lasell’s,
Mark, Saddle, Mouse, and several others smaller. The entire land area
is about 6,000 acres. Turtle’s Head is a long promontory at the north.
The harbors are Sabbath Day Harbor and Bounty Cove, on the eastern
side ; Seal Harbor, Crow Cove,'on the western side; and Gilkey’s Harbor
on the south-western side. At the end of the neck which forms the
north-western side of the island, is Gilkey’s Harbor Light. The rocks
are for the most part, slaty schists. The soil is fair, and, with the
abundant dressing from shore and stable, yields well in hay and potatoes,
which are the crops chiefly cultivated. Spruce and fir make up the
bulk of the scanty forests. The principal body of fresh-water pond is
Meadow Pond, having an area of about 12 acres. It lies about one-
third of a mile from the seashore, its surface being 60 feet higher, and
its outlet furnishes three good water-powers. There are also fine op-
portunities to make use of tide-power. The inhabitants are hardy, indus-
trious, and intelligent. Fishing and navigation are the principal occu-
pations of the inhabitants. In 1855,153 vessels sailed from Islesborough,
many of which were owned in the town,—where, also, most of the mas-
ters resided.

Islesborough was first settled in 1769 by William Pendleton and
Benjamin Thomas. It was incorporated January 28, 1789. The titles
to the lands were secured in 1801 from General Henry Knox. One of
the first settlers named Gilkey, before he had made much improvement,
was impressed into the British service, while his wife and two children
were left in poverty on the island to gain a living as best they could.
The town was first represented in general court in 1820, by Thomas

In June 1794, Elder Thomas Ames was ordained as the first pastor
of the town. The churches at present are the Free Baptist, and the
1st and 2d Baptist. Islesborough has eight public scbool-houses; and


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2