Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
KENNEBUNK PORT. 801
The lame man had reached Portsmouth in safety, and brought his
neighbors timely succor.
Grants of fifty acres of land to new settlers were offered in 1719.
Stephen Harding received a lot on condition that he and his heirs
should maintain a ferry on Kennebunk River, and convey all inhabi-
tants of the town without charge. In 1627, feeling secure from the
Indians, the inhabitants undertook to build a meeting-house, but the
work went on slowly. In 1728 occurred the fourth great earthquake
experienced sincet he settlement of the regions. The alarm it caused
brought about a revival of religion, and the reformation of many;
and in consequence of this, the church edifice was speedily completed.
In 1745 the town sent a company under command of Captain Thomas
Perkins to aid in the capture of Louisburg. The news of the battle of
Lexington reached Cape Porpoise three days after its occurrence.
Many citizens flocked to the army at Cambridge; and at home meas-
ures were immediately taken to supply the town with ammunition; a
committee of safety was appointed, and a representative sent to the
The town received but one visit from the enemy during the war.
It was in August, 1782, that an armed English brig came into tbe har-
bor and took a schooner and sloop belonging in Newbury, Massachu-
setts. A citizen named Samuel Wildes, who was partly deranged,
went out to them in a small canoe and ordered them to give up tbe
vessels and leave the port. He was fired at and wrounded in several
places, but escaped to shore. The inhabitants soon collected on Trotts
Island, and afterward passed to Goat Island, and a conflict ensued.
A number of the English were killed, and the brig forced to leave the
harbor without their prizes. Lieutenant James Burnham was the only
one killed on the American side.
The following are names of citizens who were captains in the army
of the Revolution. Jesse Dorman was at Cambridge in 1776; Tobias
Lord, at the surrender of Burgoyne, White Plains, Saratoga; Daniel
Merrill, Cambridge, 1775-6, Hubbardston, surrender of Burgoyne, and
served until the close of the war; Joshua Nason, James Perkins, on
North River, 1776-7. Tbe following were lieutenants: James Burn-
ham, killed at Cape Porpoise fight, 1782 ; John and Tobias Lord, sons
of Captain Tobias Lord; Lemuel Miller; Amos Towne was at Dor-
chester Heights in 1776.
In the war of 1812, a fort was built at Kennebunk Point and a
battery erected at Butlers Rock, commanding the entrance of the
river. Several privateers were fitted out, some under Danish colors;
but most of them were captured by the enemy.
The first church records in town are of the Congregational Church,
and were commenced at about the time of the settlement of the Rev.
Jolm Eveleth, in 1719. In 1720, a house was built for bis residence,
which served also for a meeting-house and town-house. The first
Baptist meeting-house was built in the upper part of the town in 1797.
The town has now two Congregational, a Methodist, and a Baptist
church. There are twelve schoolhouses, and the school property is
estimated at $8,000. The town valuation in 1870 was $901,431. In
1880 it was $866,802. The population in 1870 was 2,372. In 1880
it was 2,405. The rate of taxation is 18 mills on half the valuation.
Kents Hill, a small village and post-office in Readfield,
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2