Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 305
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

KITTERY.    305

loss of one of their ships in Boston harbor. The government in 1806
purchased an island of 60 acres (now connected with Kittery village by
a bridge) and has ever since made use of it as a navy-yard. Seavy’s
Island, adjoining, was also purchased by the government a few years
ago for the same purpose. The islands are now occupied by numer-
ous shops and yards, in which 1,000 men are sometimes employed in
the construction and repair of United States vessels. Many noted

vessels have been built here. The bridge connecting Kittery with:
Portsmouth was built in 1822, and is 2,230 feet long. The business of
the town, other than farming, is chiefly found at Kittery Depot; a<
half mile easterly at Kittery Village, whence a bridge leads to the'
Navy-Yard ; and at Kittery Point, a mile and a half east of the vil-
lage. The first Congregational church of Kittery was organized in



This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2