Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
340 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
major-general of volunteers, and subsequently governor of Wisconsin •
Charles A., United States minister in Paraguay, and author of a his-
tory of that country; Samuel B., once a shipmaster, later captain of a
marine force in tbe war of the Rebellion ; William D., an extensive
manufacturer and surveyor-general of Minnesota, all brothers; Han-
nibal Hamlin, LL.B., formerly Senator and Vice-President of the United
States, and others. Livermore has had two centenarians,—Captain David
Hinkley, who died in 1867, aged one hundred and two years, lacking a
few days; and Sarah Kidder, who was born in 1771, and was living at last
accounts, when she was above one hundred and one years. The town had
98 men in service during the war of the Rebellion, among whom was Col.
Lee Strickland. E. B. Haskell, of the Boston Herald, is a native of‘this town.
Lockes Mills, a small village and post-office in Green-
wood, Oxford County.
Long- Island Plantation, in Hancock County, is
situated 40 miles south of Ellsworth, and 15 south of Tremont, on
Mount Desert Island, with which it is connected by boat. It consists
of Long, Harbor, Crow, Johns, Two Sisters, two Green, two Duck,
East Black, Plasentia, West Black, Calf, Pond, Sheep, and Ram
islands. The occupation of the inhabitants is fishing and farming.
The principal crops are hay and potatoes.
The plantation has one Baptist church. There is one public school-
house, and this, with other school property, is valued at $700. The
valuation of estates in 1880 was $22,291. The rate of taxation was 8
mills on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 177. In 1880 it was
Long Pond, a post-office in Hancock County.
Lovell is situated in the southern part of Oxford County, bnt
north of Fryeburg, and having Stowe between it and the New Hamp-
shire line. On the north-west and north-east it is bounded by Stone-
ham, east by Waterford, and south-east by Sweden. The area is
24,000 acres. Upper Kezar Pond nearly divides tbe town into eastern
and western parts, being 8 miles long by about 1 broad. The surface
of the toifu is uneven, especially on the eastern side of the Pond,
where it is mountainous. Some names of the eminences are Amos
Mountain, Mount Reho, McDaniels Hill, Sebatos Mountain, and Chris-
tian and Sheriff hills. Kezar River, the outlet of ponds of that name
in Waterford, runs southward through the eastern part of the town to
the Saco.1 At Lovell Village, on this stream, near the southern part of
the town, are several mills. There are also mills near the centre on
the outlet of a small pond ; and at North Lovell there is a steam-mill,
manufacturing spools and long lumber. Other manufactures of the
town are shooks, axe-handles and ox-goads, carriages and sleighs,
cab net work and coffins, boots and shoes, harnesses, etc. The small
centres in Lovell, other than the principal ones already mentioned, are
Slab City, Sucker Brook (the outlet of Horse-shoe Pond), and
The -name Kezar occurring so frequently in this region, is the name of an old hunter who
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2