Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 348
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


Machiasport occupies a peninsula on each side of Machias
Bay, at its head, and about midway of the southern line of Washing-
ton County. This town joins Machias and East Machias on the nortn,
and Whiting on the north-east. Machias Bay bounds it on the east,
and Little Kennebec Bay separates it from Machias on the west. The
mouth of Machias River divides the town into two portions. The
principal village and business is at the northern part of the town,
though several coves along the eastern shore have small villages. A
railroad for lumber and other freight connects this port with Whitney-
ville, 8 miles to the north-west. Machiasport has an excellent harbor,
open all the year. There is here some ship-building and boat-building,
together with the block spar and sail making which are necessary
adjuncts to shipyards. A marine railroad further supplies the needs
of a seaport. Coasting and the fisheries constitute a large part of the
occupation of the inhabitants. A toll-bridge 600 feet in length con-
nects the town with East Machias.

The soil of this town is largely clay and gravel, but it good
returns in hay and potatoes, which are the principal crops. Some
considerable hills bear the names of Howard, Hampden, Fletcher and
Bald Mountain. Spruce, fir and birch are the most numerous forest
trees; but the village streets are shaded by a variety of native and
foreign origin. In all parts of the town are good roads, and pleasant
residences. The town-hall is considered to be one of the best in the
county. On the seashore, between high and low water marks, is an
inclined table of rock bearing inscriptions to the number of about 150,
supposed to be of Indian origin. The figures are cut in the rock, and
resemble chiefly figures of Indians and moose; but there are also plans
of streams, figures of a cow, panther, fox, serpent, Indian medicine
man, and Romish priest. The age of these inscriptions is not known,
as they were as much a mystery to the early inhabitants as to those of
the present day. Machiasport furnished 35 men to aid in the preser-
vation of the Union during the late war, losing 14.

The Congregationalists, Baptists and Advents have churches here.
The town has a system of graded schools and owns eight schoolhouses,
valued at $6,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $197,221. In
1880 it was $191,248. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 4
per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,526. In 1880 it was 1,531.

Machwalioc Plantation is a half township lying

on the southern border of the eastern part of Aroostook County. It
is 45 miles S.S.E. of Houlton, on the military road from Bangor to
that town, and 6|- miles north of the European and North American
Railway station at Kingman. Molunkus Plantation bounds it on the
west, and Reed Plantation on the east. The Molunkus and Machwahoc
streams enter on the northern side and unite near the midst of the
plantation. Molunkus Lake, having its outlet in Molunkus Stream,
lies upon the north-western border. Farming and lumbering are the
chief occupations. The settlements are principally within the angle at
the junction of the two streams.

This plantation was formerly No. 1 of Range 4. It was settled in
1835, and organized as a plantation December 16, 1851. There is a
public schoolhouse valued with land at $300. The valuation of estates


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2