Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
latter year was 2 per centum. The population in 1870 was 444. In
1880 it was 705.
Maranocook Lake lies in the towns of Winthrop and
Readfield, Kennebec County. Its length is about ten miles and its
width from half a mile to a mile and a half. It is crossed at a
narrow place near the northern end by the Maine Central Railroad, back
route. Regattas and other entertainments are annually held on this
lake, and there is good fishing and fine scenery in the neighborhood.
See articles on towns mentioned above.
Mariaville is situated midway of the western side of Hancock
County, and at its north-western corner abuts upon the south-eastern
corner of Penobscot County. The outline of the town is extremely
irregular. Union River passes through the northern part, and forms
the boundary line between its southern part and Waltham. The town
of Otis lies on the west, and the south-western corner of Mariaville
approaches Ellsworth. It is on the stage-line from that place to
Aurora. The largest pond in town is Hopkinss, which has an area of
1 by by 2 miles. Eight Pine and Lightly hills, about 75 feet in height,
are the chief eminences. The soil is clayey, and there are many good
farms with tastily arranged farm buildings. The roads are expensive
on account of the numerous bridges required. There are one or two
mills in town, and a large tannery for sole-leather. The latter employs
ten hands, and consumes from 1,500 to 2,000 cords of bark annually.
Mariaville was first occupied in 1802. The names of the pioneer
settlers are Mr. Fabrick, Seth Alcott, B. and D. Eppes, James Hap-
worth and Elisha Goodwin. On its incorporation as a town, it re-
ceived the name of Mariaville in honor of Maria, a daughter of Mr.
Bingham, who owmed an extensive tract of land in this vicinity. It
had previously been called Bingham. For years all up river was
known as Mariaville; but the town has been reduced to its present
unshapely outlines by the taking off of Aurora, Amherst and Wal-
There is one church-edifice in the town, belonging to the Baptists..
Mariaville has four public schoolhouses, and the school property is val-
ued at $700. The valuation of the town in 1870 was $65,742. In 1880:
it was $81,804. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 2 cents on the dollar:.
The population in 1870 was 369. In 1880 it was 382.
Marion lies in the south-eastern part of Washington County,,
18 miles north-east of Machias. It is on the stage-line from Machias to
Calais. Edmunds bounds it on the east, Whiting on the south, East
Machias on the west, and township No. 14 on the north. Its length,
is about 74 miles, and width 64. Gardiners Lake, lying mostly-with-
in the town, at the south-western part, has an area of 84 square miles..
Cathance River, the outlet of Cathance Lake, some 5 miles north,,
crosses the most eastern part, furnishing severalmill-powers. Cliffords.
Brook, running through the middle of the northern part of the town,
to Gardiners Lakes has five falls. The village of Marion is on the
falls at the Cathance Stream. There are here two saw-mills.
The surface of this town is hilly, with a variable soil, generally,
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2