Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
MO UNT DESERT. 377
been Mount Chase Plantation. Its name is from the mountain in the
northern part. In the north-west part are the two Shin ponds, con-
taining about 500 acres each, and Duck Pond, having an area of about
10 acres. These ponds are discharged into the Seboois River in the
next range west. On this stream, just north of Sugar Loaf Mountain,
in the next township, is a fall of 70 feet. The central and eastern part
of this town is drained by Crystal Brook, on which, near the eastern
side of the town, is a saw-mill, The town is well wooded with the
usual hard and soft woods.
The Methodists have a society in town, and have stated worship
and preaching. Mount Chase has four public schoolhouses. The en-
tire school property is valued at $8,000. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $22,025. In 1880 it was $28,101. The population in 1870
was 262. In 1880.it was 310.
Mount Desert, in Hancock County, formerly included the
wdiole island, with some neighboring small islands. It now includes a
belt across the middle of the island, with several small islands near it.
The chief natural features of the town are its mountains, and an arm
of the sea called Somes Sound. This body of water is two miles wide
at its mouth, and extends northward through the mountain ranges,
affording a sail through the heart of the best scenery of the island.
The considerable bodies of fresh water in this town are Long Pond,
Echo Lake, or Deerings Pond, and Seal Cove Pond, the first 5 miles
in length by 1\ in width, the others about one-half as large. The
mountains are Pemetic (1,202 feet in height) ; the Bubbles,—North (845
ft.), and South (780 ft.) ; The Peak of Otter (506 ft.), The Beehive
(540 ft.) ; Otter Cliff (112 ft.); The Cleft, North (610 ft.), and South
(460 ft.) ; Jordans Hills, North (340 ft.), and South (360 ft.) ; Browns
Mountain (860 ft.) ; Flying Mountain (300 ft.) ; Robinsons Mountain
(700 ft.) ; Dog Mountain (670 ft.) ; and Carters Nubble (480 ft.).
The bowlder phenomena is exhibited in this town to a wonderful
degree. There are wandering rocks of red and blue granite, trap,
gneiss, mica schist, clay slate, and fossiliferous sandstones. The greater
pjart of the bed rock here called granite, is protogine—talc being sub-
stituted for mica. There is also considerable sienite in which is horn-
blende instead of mica, having veins of magnetic iron, arsenical iron
The principal harbors are Somes, Pretty Marsh, and North East.
Somesville, the principal village, is situated at the head of the sound,
having an excellent harbor. There is quite a water-power at the place,
furnished by Somes Stream, on which are a saw-mill, woollen-factory,
and grist-mill. There is also a steam saw-mill. The post-offices are
Mount Desert (Somesville), North East Harbor, Pretty Marsh and
Long Pond. Considerable business is done in the town in gathering
ice, the annual crop being estimated at 12,000 tons. There are also
several granite quarries, one of which employs about 40 men. The
annual shipment of cut stone is estimated at 3,500 tons. It is said
that there is not a level field in town. Hay is a small crop, and it
brings a better price than in neighboring towns.
Mount Desert Island was a familiar landmark to the early voyagers
of the coast. Its name seems to have been first applied by De Monts
in 1604. It was temporarily occupied by the French in that year. In
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2