Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 406
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

406    GAZETTEER    OF    MAINE.

part of Hancock County. It is bounded on the west by Sullivan, on
the south by Gouldsborough, and on the east by Steuben in Wash-
ington County. The township is square, but slightly smaller than the
standard. On the northern line lies Great Tunk Pond, with Little
Tunk on the south-east at its foot, Round Pond at the north-eastern
corner, and Morancey Pond on the western line. The sizes of the first
two are six miles and one mile in length. The surface of the country
is quite uneven, and the Black Hills have an elevation of 600 feet.

Granite is the predominant rock. The soil is a gravelly loam. Beech,
birch, spruce aud hemlock are the forest trees.

This plantation has one public schoolhouse, and other school pro-
perty to the value of $350. The population in 1870 was 69. In 1880
it was 89. The valuation of estates in 1880 was $15,502.

Number Six Plantation, in Franklin County, is

bounded on the east by Phillips, south by Weld, north by Letter E
Plantation, and west by Byron, in Oxford County. The area is 19,000
acres. A range of bills run through it from the north-east to the
south-west corner. A branch of Sandy River runs through the north-
ern boundary of the township at the north-east, on which there is a
small mill in Letter E. Plantation adjoining. The plantation is 26
miles by the road from Farmington, and about 8 miles west of the rail-
road station in Phillip’s village. The valuation in 1870 was $15,246.
in 1880 it was $9,000. The population in 1870 was 31. In 1880 it
was 69.

Number Twenty-One Plantation lies about

midway of the length of Washington County, Princeton and Alexander
bound it on the east, and Crawford on the south. Big Lake extends
across its whole northern border, and bounds iy for a considerable
distance on the west. Little River Bluff is the highest eminence,
having an elevation of about 300 feet. Farming and lumbering are
the principal occupations. Princeton Station of Lewy’s Island Raik
road is 4 miles to the north-east.

This plantation was organized in 1859. It sent 7 men to aid in
the preservation of the Union against the slave-holders’ Rebellion, of
whom 2 were lost. The number of public schoolhouses in this plant-
ation is two; and the school property is valued at $400. 1'he valu-
ation of estates in 1870 was $20,255. In 1880 it was $24,165.

The rate of taxation in the latter year was 1^ cents on a dollar.

The number of polls in 1870 was 34. In 1880 there were but 23.

Oakfield Plantation, in Aroostook County, was
formerly No. 5, in Range 3. It lies 15 miles west by south-west from    *

Houlton by stage-route via Linneus. The latter and New Limerick
bound it on the east, Smyrna on the north, and Dyer Brook Planta-
tion on the west. The centre of the town has the greatest general
elevation, and from it flow numerous streams to the surrounding ponds
and to the East Branch of the Mattawamkeag River, which flows south-
ward just within the western line of the town. Spaulding and Long
lakes in the northern part of the town discharge hy Thomas Brook
into the river. Timothy Lake a smaller sheet lies at the northern
line; a part of Meduxnekeag Lake lies within part of the town;


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2