Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON. PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
Lemuel Jackson, and Uriah Ripley, from Middleborough, Mass Mr
Daniels, it is stated, purchased the land now occupied by Paris Hill
Village, of the Indians, the price paid being an iron kettle. Joseph
Daniels, born February, 1784, is the first native citizen. The first
church here was Calvinist-Baptist, organized in 1795, and Elder James
Hooper, of Berwick, was the same year ordained as their pastor, the
ceremony being performed in a barn. He filled this office for nearly half
a century. The first house for public worship was erected by the Baptists
m at Paris'Hill in 1803. There are now in town societies of the Baptists,
Congregationalists, Free Baptists, two of the Universalists, and three
of the Methodists. Some of the church edifices are fine structures.
The town was incorporated June 20, 1793, and on the oiganization
of Oxford County in 1805, became its shire town. Paris was the
birth-place and residence through minority of Hon. Hannibal Hamlin,
many years a United States senator from Maine, and vice-president
for one term with Lincoln. Hon. Sidney Perham, who was six years
in Congress and three years Governor of Maine, resides in Paris Hill
Village. This town has also furnished six other members of Congress,
namely: Levi Hubbard, Albion K. Paris, Enoch Lincoln, Timothy J.
Carter, Rufus K. Goodenow, and Charles Andrews, of whom the last
only was a native. Of these, Paris and Lincoln were also governors of
the State, and the first a United State senator.
Paris Hill Academy was long a flourishing and superior school, but
has given way to the high schools and tbe Oxford Normal Institute.
The latter, located at South Paris, is a flourishing and excellent school.
District No. 16 has a library, known as the Prentiss Library, having
800 volumes. The Oxford Democrat, an excellent country paper, is
published here by George H. Watkins. South Paris Savings Bank, on
Nov. 1, 1880, held in deposits and profits $132,011.16. The number
of public schoolhouses in this town is 20, valued with lots and apparatus
at $10,000. The population in 1870 was 2,765. In 1880 it was 2,930.
The valuation of estates in 1870 was $977,975. In 1880 it was
Parkers Head, a post-office and village in Phippsburg,
Parkin ail is situated in the south-western part of Piscataquis
County, 12 miles west of Dover, and 4 miles from the Bangor and Pis-
j cataquis Railway station in Abbot. The latter town lies ont he north;
) on the east is Sangerville ; on the west Wellington ; and on the south,
' Cambridge, in Somerset County. It has an area of 25,000 acres ; and
a large proportion of it is excellent for farming purposes. Watsons
Hill is the greatest elevation of land. Bennett and Harlow Ponds are
the principal bodies of water. There are several saw-mills and a grist-
mill in the town. At Parkman Corner there are several mechanic-
shops, four stores and one hotel.
The township was early purchased by Samuel Parkman, Esq., of
Boston. The first settlers were Peter and William Cummings, Ephraim
| Andrews, Arvida Briggs, William Brewster, and Richard Caswell.
Samuel Pingree also early moved in and became the proprietors
agent. He settled near the centre of the town where he put a saw
and grist mill in operation. Mr. Pingree was a hatter by trade, and
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2