Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
the chief occupations of the people. The European and North Ameri-
can Railway passes through the length of the town, having a station at
Passadumkeag was incorporated in Jan., 1835. The name is an
Indian word, supposed to signify quick water. In 1842, about one-
third of the territory was set off, and annexed to Lowell. On Passa-
dumkeag Island there are the remains of an old fort, said to have been
built by the French and Indians.
There is here a Congregationalist society, though meetings of other
denominations are sometimes held in the town. There are four public
schoolhouses, valued at $800. The valuation of estates in 1870 was
$30,738. In 1880 it was $42,662. The rate of taxation is 3 per cent,
on a low valuation. The population in 1870 was 243. In 1880 it was
Pattagumpus, a post-office in Penobscot County.
Patten lies on the eastern border of Penobscot County,
96 miles from Bangor. It was incorporated April 16th, 1841,
having been No. 4 of Range 6. Mount Chase (Monterey planta-
tion on Chaces map of the State, 1862), bounds it on the north, and
Crystal, in Aroostook County, on the east. Other townships adjacent
are unsettled. Patten is heavily timbered and has a good soil. Fish
Stream and Hersey Brook, tributaries of the Mattawamkeag, are the
principal water-courses. There is a small pond in the western part of
the town having one of these streams as an outlet. The village is sit-
uated in the eastern part of the town on Mattawamkeag Stream. The
manufactories are at this point; and consist of one lumber-mill, a sash,
door and blind factory, a grist-mill with two sets of stones, a tin-ware
factory, a wheelwright shop, a tin-shop, etc. This town is the terminus
of Jones and Laings stage line from Mattawamkeag.
. Patten Academy was incorporated in 1846, and has been and is
still, a valuable institution to the whole region. The number of pub-
lic schoolhouses in the town is six, which have an estimated value of
$1,200. There are here three churches, a Congregationalist, Methodist
and Baptist. The valuation in 1870 was $19l)l42. In 1880 it was
$198,358. The population in 1870 was 704. In 1880 it was 716.
Pea COVe, a post-office in Oldtown, Penobscot County.
Peaks Island, a post-office and island in Casco Bay, Cum-
Pejepscot Purchase and Patent. See articles on
Brunswick, Topsham, Bowdoin,Webster, Auburn, Durham, Lisbon,
Lewiston, Greene and Leeds.
Pemaquid a post-office and a sea point in Bristol, Lincoln
Pemaquid Patent was the last grant made by the New
England Company within tbe limits of our State. It was issued in
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2