Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
440 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
the southern slope. North Haven and Vinalhaven with their rocks
and woody points, are passed, and the long shores of Little and Great
Deer Isles, and we reach the freer waters of Isle-au-Haut Bay, and dis-
cover the bold shore and the mountain-saddle of Isle-au-Haut, the lands
end of the eastern side of the noble Penobscot.*
Perham Plantaion, in Aroostook County, lies in range
4, and is numbered 14. It is separated from Caribou by Woodland
Plantation, and has Wade Plantation on the south. It is 64 miles
N. N. W., of Houlton, via Caribou. The nearest railroad connection
is at Caribou, ten miles distant. The Little Madawaska Lake lies
on the northern border, and Salmon Brook Lake a little north of the
centre of the town. The principal streams are Salmon Brook, West
Branch of Salmon Brook, and West Branch of Caribou River. The
plantation has one saw and shingle-mill.
In this plantation is a valuable iron mine, the ore yielding about 44
per cent, of iron, quite free from sulphur. The underlying rock is
calcareous slate. The soil is loamy, and free from stones. Potatoes,
wheat and hay are the leading crops. The usual trees flourish in the
forests. There is a large quantity of land reserved for schools.
The first settlement in this township was made in 1860. It was
organized as a plantation in 1867, being named in honor of Hon. Sid-
ney Perham, subsequently governor of the State. There is a Baptist
society here, who sustain a minister. There are three public school-
houses, and the school property is valued at $1,100. The population
in 1870 was 79. In 1880 it was 346. The valuation of estates in 1870
was $12,905. In 1880 it was $31,073. The rate of taxation was one
cent on the dollar.
Perkins in Sagadahoc County, lies in the Kennebec River
between Richmond on the west bank and Dresden in Lincoln County,
on the east. Its length is about 34 miles and 44 in width. It bore
the name of Swan Island almost from the time when it was first known
until its separation from Dresden and incorporation under its present
name in 1847. It lies 14 miles north of Bath, on the line of the Ken-
nebec, Portland and Boston steamers. The nearest railroad station is
at East Bowdoinham for the southern part and Richmond village for
the northern. The town is mostly level, and is well wooded and fer-
tile. When first discovered by Europeans, the island was the residence
of Sebenoa, the sachem of the lower Kennebec. Col. Church and his
men in 1692 had a conflict wjth a large body of savages at this place,
in which the Indians were routed, some escaping to the mainland, and
some to their fort at Teconnet, near Waterville.
The post-office for the town is Richmond. Perkins has one public
schoolhouse, valued at $600. The valuation of estates in 1870 was
$36,792. In 1880 it was $37,594. The population in 1870 was 71.
In 1880 it was 78.
Perkins Plantation is situated in the southern part of
Franklin County, between Temple and Carthage, and on the stage-line
from Wilton to Weld. Originally it was a part of Carthage. Its
* For further information in regard to these points, see the towns in which they belong.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2