Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
470 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
a township of Washington County on the east. Mattagordus Stream
and Mud Brook "with their branches furnish drainage; and each has
one or more good powers. On Mud Brook near where it is crossed by
the second road to Drew Plantation is a saw-mill manufacturing long
and short lumber. The soil is a yellow loam, yielding well of the
usual farm crops.
This was formerly Township No. 7, Range 3, north of Binghams
Penobscot purchase. It Avas incorporated Feb. 27, 1858, and was
named for Hon. Henry E. Prentiss, at one time mayor of Bangor, tvho
owned most of the tOAvnship. Prentiss has fire public schoolhouses.
The entire school property is valued at $2,400. The valuation of
estates in 1870 Avas $54,385. In 1880 it Avas $67,789.
Presque Isle lies in the second range of townships in
Aroostook County, a feAV miles south of Aroostook River. It is
bounded on the north by Maysville, south by Westfield Plantation,
east by Easton, and Avest by Chapman and Mapleton plantations. The
Presque Isle Stream enters on the Avest side of the toAvn and leaves it
on the north. Presque Isle Village, the principal centre of business,
is situated on the stream near the northern line. In the southern part,
a little Avest of a middle line, in Quaggy Joe Lake, one mile in length,
having Arnold Brook as an outlet. On this, near the pond, is the
small village of Spragueville. South by south-Avest of the village is the
four-peaked Green Mountain, lying in a true north and south line.
The middle of the toAvn generally is elevated, and there are still ex-
tensive forests in the Avestern, southern and eastern parts. There is a
lumber and a cabinet mill at Spragueville, and at Presque Isle Village
are tAvo lumber-mills, a grist-mill, a Avool-carding mill, furniture, car-
riage, tinware factories, and other small manufactures. This town is
42 miles north by north-Avest of Houlton, on the stage-line to Caribou.
It is also the terminus of stage-lines to Ashland, Washburn and Fort
Fairfield. At the village is published The North Star, a lively
sheet, at present Greenback in politics. The publishers are F. G.
Parker & Co.
This toAvn Avas incorporated April 4, 1859. It has a good high-
school in Presque Isle Village, and its schoolhouses number nine, and
are valued at $3,000. The population in 1870 Avas 970. In 1880 it
was 1,305. The valuation in 1870 Avas $180,786. In 1880 it was
Presumpscot Piver,—See articles on Cumberland
County, Falmouth, Westbrook, Windham, Gorham and Standish.
Pretty IVtclPSll, a post-office, hamlet and harbor in Eden on
the western side of Mount Desert Island, Hancock County.
PrillCetOll lies in the eastern part of Washington County,
about midAvay of its length. It is bounded on the north by Indian
Township, east by Baileyville, south by Alexandra, and Avest by No.
21. Shining Lake occupies a large proportion of the south-western
part of the Town. Big Lake and its outlet, the Avest branch of St.
Croix River form the northern boundary line. On this stream, at the
foot of the lakes, lies Princeton Village, the terminus of the St. Croix
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2