Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
SANDY RIVER PLANTATION. 497
St. Johns River, see articles on Boundaries, Climate,
Mountains, Rivers, Lakes and Ponds, in the first part of this volume.
Salem is situated in the eastern part of Franklin County, 7
miles from the railroad station in Strong, and nearly 20 miles from
Farmington. It is bounded east by Freeman and Kingfield, south by
Phillips, west by Madrid, and north by Mount Abraham township.
The northern part of Salem is occupied by the southern base of the
Mount Abraham group of peaks. Curvo stream, a branch of Carra-
basset River, takes its rise in this group of mountains ; and passing
through the midst of the town, furnishes at Salem village the power
for a saw and a grist-mill. Along the streams there is considerable
interval land ; but elsewhere it is quite gravelly. Cobble-stones are
said to abound in some parts of the town. Beech, birch, maple, cedar
and spruce are found in the forests.
Salem was formed from parts of Freeman, Phillips, and Number
Four in the First Range, Binghams (Million Acres) purchase. The
first clearing was made by Benjamin Heath 2d from Farmington, about
1815 ; to which he and John Church 1st, and Samuel Church removed in
1817, being soon followed by Messrs. Double and Hayford. The town
was incorporated in 1823 under the name of North Salem, which was
changed later to the latter word of the name alone.
A quaint, red, one-story building constitutes the town house, and
also serves for religious meetings in the absence of a church edifice.
The village has a small Sunday school library. Salem has four public
schoolhouses, the total school property being valued at $400. The
town valuation in 1870 was $64,432. In 1880 it was $59,868. The rate
of taxation in the latter year was 1£ cents on the dollar. The popula-
tion in 1870 was 307. In 1880 it was 273.
Salisbury Cove, a post-office in Hancock County.
Sandy Bay Plantation is in a triangular township in
Somerset County, on the Canada line. It is bounded by Bald Moun-
tain Plantation on the east, Dennestown on the south, and by Canada
on the north-west side. Its inhabitants, in 1880, consisted of two
families,whose occupation was principally farming. It is 93 miles from
Skowhegan on the Canada road.
Sandy Creek, a post-office in Cumberland County.
Sandy Point, a post-office in Stockton, Waldo County.
Sandy River Plantation, in Franklin County, is
bounded on the east by Madrid, on the west by Rangeiey Plantation,
on the north by Greenvale, and on the south by Letter E. The area
is 21,000 acres. The principal feature of this township is the line of
ponds which extend from the western side nearly two-thirds of the
way to the eastern. Four of these are connected with Sandy River
and form its source. Along the southern shores of these ponds passes
the Sandy River road, which connects Rangeiey with the railroad at
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2