Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 501
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


River, are branches. Scottow’s Hill near the centre of the town is the
most elevated portion of the surface. This was the point from which
in the early period, the inhabitants signalled danger to the surrounding
country, by means of beacons and signal fires. Pleasant Hill, in the
eastern part of the town is a more extended eminence. Near its
base on the east is a large never-failing spring; and a short distance
south are two other springs having a decided mineral character.

Along these streams for a considerable distance inland are salt
marshes where large quantities of hay are cut annually. The occupation
of the people is chiefly agricultural. The principal business centres
are Dunstan Corners, Blue Point, West Scarborough, and Coal Kiln
Corners. The Portland, Saco and Portsmouth railroad crosses the

southern part of the town, having stations at Oak Hill and West
Scarborough. The Boston and Maine railway crosses a little to the
south of the other, having stations at Scarborough Beech and Blue
Point. The principal manufactures are of canned foods, carriages and
soap. At Oak Hill is a small neighborhood library.

The first settler of Scarborough was one Stratton, who about 1630,
located on a couple of islands which long bore his name. The tract of
land between Black Point and Spurwink River wTas granted to Capt.
Thomas Cammock, a nephew of the Earl of Warwick. Capt. Cammock
was therefore the first legal proprietor in Scarborough. In the course
of a few years other settlers joined Cammock, mostly as tenants. Blue
Point and Dunstan Corners wrere next settled,—Richmond, Fox well,


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2