Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
506 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
it was 2,323. The valuation in 1870 was $1,036,823. In 1880 it was
$1,049,662. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 12 mills on the
Seaward,—a Post-Office in Kennebee County.
Sebago is situated on the north-western shore of Lake
Sebago and in the western part of Cumberland County. Bridgton and
and Naples lie on the north-east,- Baldwin lies on the south, and
Denmark and Hiram, in Oxford County, lie on the west. The early
history of Sebago is blended with that of Baldwin ; the territory
having been granted with the latter by Massachusetts, in 1774, to Whit-
temore, Lawrence, and their associates,—the survivors of John Fitch
and Company. In 1826 this territory was divided,—the northern part
being incorporated under the name of Sebago. About 1000 acres from
Denmark was annexed in 1830 ; and 400 acres have since been added
from Baldwin ; but in forming Naples, in 1834, 4,700 acres were taken
from Sebago. The surface of the town is very uneven, and generally
rocky. It was a severe task to clear up a farm in this rough region ;
but the soil was strong and repaid the industrious with abundant crops.
The building and maintaining of roads among tbe rocky hills and the
construction of bridges over its rapid streams has always been a severe
tax upon the inhabitants ; but the work has been well performed. The
highest eminences in Sebago are Saddleback Mountain, on the southern
border, Peaked Mountain, in the eastern part, and Tiger mountain in
the north-eastern. Browns and Perley ponds,—the largest three-fourths
of a mile in length—lie within town limits. On its borders are Sebago
Lake, Peabody, Great Hancock, Hancock, and South-East ponds. The
principal streams are North-West River, Mill Brook and Sandy Beach
Brook. The chief settlement is on Mill Brook, near the centre of the
town,—constituting Sebago village. The principal manufactures are
long and short lumber, shooks and boots and shoes.
The town has Congregationalist, Baptist, Gen. Baptist, and Union
churches. Sebago has nine public schoolhouses, valued at $1,600. The
estates in 1870 w^re valued at $175,550. In 1880 they were valued at
$183,095. The population at the same date was 803. The census of
1880 increases it to 808.
Sebago Lake —See article on Cumberland County.
Sebec is situated in the southern part of Piscataquis
county, 10 miles north-east of Dover, on the Bangor and Piscataquis
railway. Williamsburg and Barnard lie on the north, Milo on the
east, Foxcroft on the west and Atkinson on the south. The area is
22,228 acres. There are several small ponds in town. Sebec Lake lies
partly within its limits, and the outlet furnishes two excellent water-
powers. The Piscataquis river forms its boundary line on the south.
There are fine intervals along the streams, and many good upland farms.
The principal manufacturing is on the outlet of Sebec Lake at the
village. There are at this place a saw-mill producing large and small
lumber, a cedar tub factory, a carriage and a woolen factory. South
Sebec is the other village of the town.
The township was the eastermost of the Bowdoin College townships.
In 1803, the treasurer of the college deeded 16,000 acres to Richard
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2