Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 529
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

STO w.    599

and hunger, in filling the ditches and levelling the breastwork. Vet some of the
cavities are now to be seen (1830). Williamson’s History of Maine, vol. 2, p.


A light-house erected on this point in 1837 marks the entrance of
Penobscot Bay. It was refitted in 1857. The tower is square, con-
structed of brick and painted white. The focal plane is 27 feet above
the ground and 103 feet above sea level. It has a flashing white light.

Stockton was set off from Prospect and incorporated March 13,
1857. It was first settled about 1759. C. S. Fletcher and N. G. Hitch-
born were valued citizens of this town. Stockton sent between 60 and
70 men into the Union army during the late war, losing about one-
third of the number. A granite monument has been erected to their
memory. There are Congregationalist and Universalist societies here,
the latter having a church edifice. Stockton maintains a high-school
and has nine public schoolhouses, with school property valued at
8    $8,800.    The population in 1870 Avas 2,089. In 1880 it was 1,548- The

valuation in 1870 was $880,220. In 1880 it was $401,446. The rate
of taxation in the latter year was 31 mills on the dollar.

Stoneham lies in the western part of Oxford County, south of
the Androscoggin River. It is 17 miles westof Paris, and is connected
with South Paris, on the Grand Trunk Railroad by a stage-line. It is
bounded on the north by Mason, east by Albany, south by Lovell and
west by Stow. The whole northern, western and the northern half of the
eastern border is marked hy mountains. These in order, beginning at
the south-west, are Shell, Ellis, Adams, Speckled, Durgin, Red Rock
and Bear mountains, with others smaller intervening, and not named *
upon the town map. Sugar Hill is quite an eminence in the north-
western section. This town lies on the north and east sides of the
angle of Lovell, Adjoining Lovell on both sides are also mountains
lying within the borders of Stoneham. Upper and Lower Stone ponds
lie in the eastern part, each being about one square mile in area. Horse-
shoe Pond lies on the western part of the southern line, Issachar Pond
on the west-line of the southern limb of the town,and “ The Five Kezars”1
at the extreme southern part. The principal streams are the outlets of
these ponds, and Great Brook, running through the middle of the town
southward to Upper Kezar Pond, which also lies partially on the
southern line.* Cold Brook, from the north-western mountains, and
with a pond on its course, enters Upper Kezar west of Great Brook.
The central parts of the town are more level, and in some parts have
a high degree of fertility, and many farmers have laid by money. The
manufactures also have proved profitable and consist, at East Stoneham,
of staves, spool strips, boards and shingles; and at West Stoneham,
of spool strips, short lumber, carriages, wood and iron work, etc. The
principal religious organization is that of the Methodists.

This town was incorporated January 31, 1834. It has five public
schoolhouses, and the school property is valued at $2,000. The popu-
lation in 1870 was 425. In 1880 it was 475. The valuation in 1870
was $70,250. In 1880 it was $63,381.

Stow, in Oxford County, lies on the border of New Hampshire,
being the second township south of Gilead on the Androscoggin.

* The Kezar ponds have their name from an old hunter who frequented them.



This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2