Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
584 GAZETTEER of MAINE. P
Up to 1820, about 13,000 acres had been secured to settlers and by
quiet possession titles, when Mr. Jarvis bought the remainder. In
1800, Surry included that portion of Ellsworth known as Ward 5 ;
but in 1829 it was re-annexed to Ellsworth. There was a population
of 239 as early as 1790. In 1874, a small quantity of silver coin was
found at Weymouth Point. Surry furnished 135 men to the Union
cause in the war of the Rebellion.
The Baptist, Free Baptist and Methodist denominations have
churches in town. There are nine public schoolhouses, and the school
property is valued at $3,400. The valuation of estates in 1870 was
$209,137. In 1880 it was $177,534. The population in 1870 was 1,242.
In 1880 it was 1,185.
Swans Island Pantation, in Hancock County, is
situated south-west of Mount Desert Island and east of Deer Isle,
being about equally distant from each. It has communication with
Tremont, on Mount Desert, by boat. The soil is very rocky, but pota-
toes and hay yield fair crops. The rock is granite and a gray rock
containing gold and silver ore. A mining company has recently
erected a crushing mill. Fish-barrels, oil-cloths and boats are the prin-
The Methodists and Baptists each have a society and preaching on
the island. There art five public schoolhouses, valued with other
school property, at $1,200. The valuation of estates in 1870 was
$27,805. In 1880 it was $49,856 The rate of taxation in 1880 was 3£
per cent. The number of polls in 1880 was 130.
Swanville is situated in the eastern part of Waldo County,
6 miles north of Belfast, on the Bangor and Belfast stage-line. It is
bounded north by Monroe, east by Frankfort and Searsport, south by
Belfast city, and west by Waldo and Brooks. The middle and north-
ern parts of the town are quite hilly. Swan Lake (Goose Pond on the
State map), in tbe north-eastern part is about three miles long and a
quarter wide. Toddy Pond, at the north-western corner, is about one
fourth of a square mile in area. In the southern part are three other
ponds still smaller. There is no large village in the town. The indus-
tries are chiefly farming, brick and soap-making, and quarrying paving
This town was a part of the Waldo Patent, and was formerly known
as the plantation of Swan. Petition was made in November, 1816, by
Janies Leach and thirty-seven others, for incorporation as a town.
The petition set forth the fact that the plantation had 100 rateable
polls, 56 legal voters, and 58 soldiers enrolled in the militia; and that
Mr. Sullivan, the proprietor, had appointed an agent to make convey-
ance to settlers, and that many purchases had recently been made, and
that the settlement was rapidly increasing. The petition was allowed,
and the town incorporated February 19th, 1819.
The Methodists and Baptists have societies in Swanville, and each
has a resident minister. There are six public schoolhouses, valued at
$1,725. The population in 1870 was 770. In 1880 it was 703. The
valuation in 1870 was $140,050. In 1880 it was $138,338.
Sweden lies in the southern part of Oxford County bordering
on Bridgton in Cumberland County. Waterford forms the north-east-
ern boundary, Lovell the north-western, and Fryeburg the south-west-
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2