Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 543
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

TRESCOTT.    548

1613. “ About half across the isthmus and a little up the hill (Flying
Mountain), so as to command the water on either side without losing
its shelter, are two holes in the ground which are shown as the ruins of
the Frenchmen’s cellars. They are a few rods apart, running north
and south, 10 to 12 feet long at present, from 2 to 3 feet deep, and of
varying width. They seem to have been gradually filled in from the
hill above, and overgrown with grass. On the very day of our visit (1866)
a spruce, some eight inches in diameter had been cut down in one of
them. The old man who was our guide said the cellars were there , in
the time of his grandfather, who was the first settler, and
he always
said that they were the remains of the French colony.” Stories of the
disco very of gold buried by the French are rife, like those of pirates’
treasures further south. A bank of shells near North East Harbor, on
the opposite side of the Sound, probably marks the neighborhood of
an Indian village ; and Indian relics of various sorts are not uncommon.
Tremont was set off from Mount Desert and incorporated in 1848,
nnder the name of Mansel, from Mount Mansel, the name given to the
island by Winthrop’s company -of emigrants to Massachusetts Bay
in 1630; it having been the first land discovered by them. See

Tremont has two churches, a Congregationalist and a Methodist.
Thirteen public schoolhouses, and school property to the value of
$13,500, furnish the means of youthful education. The valuation of
estates in 1870 was $262,353. In 1880 it was $361,419. The popula-
tion in 1870 was 1,822. In the census of 1880 it was 2,011.

TFGirfcOIl, in Hancock County, lies north of Mount Desert
Island, between Union River Bay and Jordan’s River. Ellsworth
bounds it on the north. It is on the stage-line from Ellsworth to
South West Harbor. The surface of the town is undulating. It
lies partially or wholly within the great mica-schist basin of the county,
which is supposed to be of the Cambrian age. The occupation of the
people aside from agriculture is connected with the sea.

The town was formerly known as Number One of the six second-
class townships granted by Massachusetts in 1762, or according to
Williamson, in 1764. It was confirmed to Paul Thorndike and others
in 1785 The first English settlement known was in 1763. Anterior
to this there were French settlers at Trenton and Oak Points. Thom-
son’s and Alley’s Islands are within its jurisdiction. Previous to 1870,
Trenton had embraced the whole peninsula between Union River Bay
and Frenchman’s Bay, but at that date it was divided, and the eastern
half incorporated as Lemoine. The Baptists and Methodists have each
a church in town. There are seven public schoolhouses, and the school
property is valued at $2,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was
$118,280. In 1880 it was $111,817. The population in 1870 was 678.
In the census of 1880 it is placed at 639.


Trescott, lies in the south-eastern part of Washington Coun-
ty. Lubec bounds it on the east, Edmunds and Pembroke on the north,
Whiting and Cutler on the west, and the ocean on the south. The
south branch of Cobscook (tide river) crosses tbe northern part, and
into this, at its western extremity, empties Orange River. Within the



This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2