Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 548
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


548    GAZETTEER    OF    MAINE.

town of Union in 1786. It contained at this time 19 families, a large
proportion of whom had emigrated from Massachusetts; and the har-
mony that prevailed among them was purposely commemorated in the
name of the town. At this time the town contained 77 families,
bearing among others the following well-known names: Adams,

Bowen, Butler, Cummings, Grinnell, Hawes, Hills, Holmes, Mero, Par-
tridge, Robbins and Ware. The settlers were mostly devout Chris-
tians, and made every effort to cultivate the feeling for friendly inter-
course which makes life blessed. A church was formed in 1803, and    *

in 1805 Rev. Henry True was settled. The town now has a church of
each the Baptist, Congregationalist, Methodist and Universalist denom-
inations. There are fourteen public schoolhouses, and the school prop-
erty is valued at $9,850. The valuation of estates in 1870 w'as
$533,660. In 1880 it was $597,330. The population in 1870 was 1,701.

In 1880 it wras 1,547.

Unity lies in the north-western part of Waldo County. It is
bounded by Burnham on the north, Thorndike on the east, Freedom
and Albion on the south, and Unity Plantation on the west. A broad
belt of the town on this side consists of wooded plain. There are
smaller areas of woodland in the eastern and other parts of the town.

The surface generally is not greatly broken, and lies in swells and val-
leys of no great height or depth. The soil is of clay and sandy loam, and
a light and a dark loam, and is tolerably fertile. Hay is the crop hav-
ing the greatest value. Unity or Twenty-five Mile Pond lies partially
within the northern part of the town. The principal water-course is
Sandy Stream, which runs through the town from the south-east to
Unity Pond. Unity village is situated upon this stream about one
mile south of the pond. The principal water-powers are on this stream.

The manufactures consist of plows, carriages, one grist and planing
mill, lumber (six mills), tinware, cheese (Unity Cheese Factory), har-
nesses, etc., etc. The Belfast branch of the Maine Central Railroad runs
through the town, having a station near the village. The habitations in
general have a thrifty appearance, and the roads are good.

This town belonged to the Plymouth Patent. Its settlement was
commenced about the year 1782. It was incorporated June 22, 1804.

♦The political harmony of the inhabitants is said to have suggested the
name of the town. There is a Union church edifice, and a Congrega-
tionalist and a Methodist society. There are twelve public school-
houses and the school property is valued at $2,500. The population in
1870 was 1,201. In 1880 it was 1,092. The valuation in 1870 was
$384,465. In 1880 it was $386,334. The rate of taxation in the latter
year was 27 mills on the dollar.

Unity Plantation is situated on the north-eastern side
of Kennebec County. It is bounded on the west by Clinton and Ben-
ton, on the south by the latter and Albion, east by Unity in Waldo
County, and north by Burnham in the latter county. The Sebasticook
River forms its boundary line on the north-west. It contains about
eight square miles. The settlement is in the eastern portion. The
plantation is about 32 miles east of Augusta, four from the Maine
Central Railroad station at Unity, and seven from the station at
Hunter’s Mills.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2