Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
5G8 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
are on the north, and Alfred and Lyman on the south, and Alfred,
Shapleigh and Newfield on the west. The area is 26,491 acres. Water-
borotigh was part of the purchase made by Major William Phillips, of
Saco, in 1661, of the Indian chiefs, Captain Sunday, Fluellen aud
Ilobinowell. By virtue of the will of Major Phillips widow, John
Avery, Colonel Joshua Waters and John Wheelwright, of Boston, be-
came proprietors; and the town took its name from Colonel Waters.
The first permanent settlement was by John Smith, in 1768, near
Waterborough Old Corners. Prior to its incorporation (in 1787), the '
town was included with the northern part of Alfred under the name of
The Court of General Sessions, which filled the place of the County
Commissioners Court, was removed to Waterborough in 1790, and a
courthouse built south of the Old Corners in the forks of a road. In
1805 the court was removed to Alfred. The first hotel in town was
about a mile south of the Old Corners. It was opened by Samuel Dam,
who came from Durham, N.H., about 1780. Mr. Dam built the first
grist-mill in Newfield Village. The first church was formed in 1782.
It was a Union church, and its meetings were held at dwellings. The
second was a Baptist church, organized in 1791. In 1794 Rev. Henry
Smith became its pastor, and continued there until his death, in 1836.
The third church was a Free-will Baptist, organized by Rev. Henry
Hobbs, in 1798. The first school in town was held in a barn, in 1784,
and was taught by Samuel Robinson. The number of public school-
houses in the town at this time is twelve ; and their estimated value is
$8,000. A few of the most notable names of natives or citizens are
Dr. .James H. Pierce, Ira J. Drew, B. F. Hamilton, Abel Jellison, Amos
F. Allen, Chas. F. Leavitt, Dr. Jefferson Smith, Dr. Drvden Smith,
Revs. John Haines, Stephen Webber, Timothy Hodgdon and Frank
The town has five post-offices, South Center, Ossipee Mills, North
and East Waterborough. The chief pond is the Little Ossipee, which
contains about a thousand acres. The Little Ossipee River bounds the ♦
town on the north and affords several good water-powers. The outlet
of Little Ossipee Pond affords the best power in town, running four
saws and a planer. There are two powers on Branch Brook capable
of running three-fourths of the year. Smiths Brook runs two saws
through the year. Downs Brook affords a good privilege, but is not
occupied. Roberts Brook, sufficient to run one saw for half the year,
is now occupied with a steam mill. The Ossipee Manufacturing Com-
pany, Ossipee Mills, on the Little Ossipee, employs 25 hands, manufac-
tures 18,000 pairs of blankets annually, the business amounting to
The Steam Mill Company at South Waterborough manufactures *4
large quantities of lumber into boxes, shingles, and similar articles.
The Ossipee Pond Company, at the outlet, also manufacture lumber. f
The amount annually manufactured in town is about 1,800,000 feet.
Waterborough ranks high as an agricultural town, though better f
adapted for grazing than for crops. One farm keeps a stock of forty
head of neat cattle and horses. The roads are good. One hundred
and eighty-four men were enlisted from the town during the war of
the Rebellion. Bounties were paid to the amount of $46,270.61; and to
soldiers families, $5,535.74; contributions for soldiers relief, $900.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2