Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 589
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


White Rock, — a post-office in Windham, Cumberland

Whiting’ lies in the south-eastern part of Washington County.

The township has the form of a parallelogram, and is about ten miles
in length, east by north-east, and some six miles in width. The prin-
cipal settlements are along Orange Stream, which almost divides the
town into northern and southern halves. Gardner’s Lake occupies a
portion of the north-eastern part, Rocky Lake lies across the middle
of the northern line, and several smaller are scattered along the north-
ern side of Orange Stream. Though of uneven surface, the town has
no elevation higher than 200 feet. Spruce, fir and birch are the most
numerous trees. Many willows were set along the roads by the early
inhabitants. The soil is variable, but principally of loam and clay.

Hay and potatoes are the crops principally relied upon tor money.

There are two saw-mills, manufacturing some 475,000 feet of lumber

The town is about 17 miles north-east of Machias. It formerly
bore the name of Orangetown, but was incorporated under its present    N

name February 15, 1825. Among the early settlers were Col. John
Cram and Col. Lemuel Trescott, Revolutionary soldiers, who became
residents in 1784. Whiting furnished 21 men to the Union army in
the war of the Rebellion, losing 6.

Both the Congregationalist and Methodists have churches here.

There are five public schoolhouses, and the school property is valued
at $1,600. The population in 1870 was 414. In 1880 it was 425.

The valuation of estates in 1870 wms $74,629. In 1880 it was $82,037.

The rate of taxation in the latter year was 274 mills.

Whitlieyville is a long narrow town on the Machias River
in the southern part of Washington County. It is bounded on the east
by Marshfield and Machias, and west by Jonesboro’ and Centreville. It
is above eleven miles in length, while its greatest width is scarcely two
miles. Tbe surface is uneven, but Pope’s Ledge, about 300 feet in
height, is the greatest elevation. The trees common to the region are
found in the forests; and about the public ways are many of elm,
juniper, etc. The rock is various, a portion being granitic. The soil
is clay and sandy loam. Potatoes, wheat and hay are the leading crops.

On the Machias River in this town are three saw-mills, which manu-
facture large quantities of lumber. There is also a prosperous carriage
factory. A freight railroad, some eight miles in length, connects the
village with Machiasport, -where the products of the mills are trans-
ferred to vessels. It is also on the Bangor and Calais stage-line. The
roads are in general very good. There is a bridge across the Machias
here 200 feet in length.

Whitneyville was formerly a part of Machias, but was set off and.
incorporated February 10, 1845. Among the valued citizens have been
James Miller, S. B. Lowell and Nathan Bacheller. The town sent 35
men into the Union army during the war of the Rebellion, of which
number 10 were lost.

There are Methodist and Congregationalist societies here, the last
having a church edifice. The number of public schoolhouses is one.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2