Statistics and Gazetteer of New-Hampshire, 1875 page 80
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.



State of Maine, south by Success
and Milan, and west by Dummer.
Area, 23,160 acres.

First Settlers. Granted to Na-
thaniel Rogers and others, in 1793.

Distances. One hundred and
forty-three miles north-east from
Concord, and thirty-five north-
east from Lancaster.


GRafton County. The surface
of Campton is uneven, having sev-
eral mountainous tracts. The soil
in the valleys is very good, and
produces fine crops of corn, oats,
potatoes, and hay. The high lands
are excellent for grazing. The
forests are mostly deciduous, but
there are some pine, spruce and
hemlock. Campton is quite noted
for the manufacturing of maple
sugar. Some years 50,000 pounds
are made.

Rivers. Pemigewasset River
runs north and south nearly
through the centre of the town,
and receives the waters of Mad,
Beebe and Bog Brook on the
east, and West Branch on the
west. Livermore’s Falls, in Pem-
igewasset River, near the south
part of the town, present appear-
ances of an interesting character
for naturalists. The formation of
the rocks in the bed of the river,
at this point, bears conclusive evi-
dence of a volcanic eruption in
some age far in the past.

Mountains. Mount Prospect sit-
uated in the southerly part, and
the Morgan mountain range in the
easterly part, are the most noted
elevations in this town. From the
summit of Mount Prospect, a de-
lightful view of Winnipiseogee
lake is obtained, as well as a large
portion of the southern part of the

State. The distance from its sum-
mit to the depot at Plymouth, on
the Boston, Concord, and Mon-
treal Railroad, is four miles.
There are but few positions from
whence so fine a view of the lake
and the surrounding country can
be had, and it is worthy of a visit
from all lovers of fine natural

Employments. The inhabitants
are chiefly engaged in agriculture.
It produces more maple sugar than
any other town in the county.

500,000 feet of lumber are annually
sawed, and considerable business
is done in the manufacture of sale
clothing. Many thousand pairs
of pants are annually made.

Resources. Agricultural pro-
ducts, $143,272; mechanical labor,
$12,000, stocks and money at Inter-
est, $7,266; deposits in savings
banks, $23,546; stock in trade,
$10,629; From summer tourists,

Churches and Schools. Congre-
gational, Rev. Quimby Blakely
pastor; Baptist, Rev. Mr. Tolman
pastor; Freewill Baptist, Rev.
Francis Morrison, pastor. There
are fourteen schools in town.
Average length of schools for the
year, fifteen weeks.

First Minister. Rev. Selden
Church (Cong.), ordained in 1774,
dismissed in 1792. Rev. John
Webber, settled in 1812, dismissed
in 1815.

First Settlers. Campton and
Rumney were included in the
same grant to Captain Jabez Spen-
cer, of East Haddam, Connecticut,
but his death occurred before any
settlement was made, and his
heirs and others obtained a new
charter in 1767. Two families,
named Fox and Taylor first set-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2