1 The sergeant-at-arms is also librarian. The clerk appoints
his deputies and assistants, and the President appoints a janitor,
superintendent of the Senate chamber, and pages. Committees
are usually appointed by the Lieut. Gov. The appointments are
made for two years: About half a dozen reporters are admitted
to seats within the Senate chamber. Standing committees in
the Senate consist of 3 members.
1. Queens, Richmond, and Suffolk Counties.
2. 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 7th, 11th, 13th, and 19th Wards of
3. 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th
Wards of Brooklyn, and the towns of Kings County.
4. 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 14th Wards of New
5. 10th, 11th, 13th, and 17th Wards of New York.
6. 9th, 15th, 16th, and 18th Wards of New York.
7. 12th, 19th, 20th, 21st, and 22d Wards of New York.
8. Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester Counties.
9. Orange and Sullivan Counties.
10. Greene and Ulster Countifes.
11. Columbia and Dutchess Counties.
12. Rensselaer and Washington Counties.
13. Albany County.
14. Delaware, Schenectady, and Schoharie Counties.
15. Pulton, Hamilton, Montgomery, and Saratoga Counties.
16. Clinton, Essex, and Warren Counties.
17. Franklin and St. Lawrence Counties.
18. Jefferson and Lewis Counties.
19. Oneida County.
20. Herkimer and Otsego Counties.
21. Oswego County.
22. Onondaga County.
23. Chenango, Cortland, and Madison Counties.
24. Broome, Tioga, and Tompkins Counties.
25. Cayuga and Wayne Counties.
26. Ontario, Seneca, and Yates Counties.
27. Chemung, Schuyler, and Steuben Counties.
®8. Monroe County.
29. Genesee, Niagara, and Orleans Counties.
30. Allegany, Livingston, and Wyoming Counties.
31. Erie County.
32. Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties.
2 The clerk appoints his assistants and deputies, a librarian
and assistant, a bank clerk, and a clerk’s messenger. These
officers are appointed for the session, except pages, who are
changed in the middle of each session. Standing committees of
the Assembly consist of 5 members, except those upon Ways
and Means, the Judiciary, and Canals, each of which has 7
members. About 20 reporters are admitted and provided with
seats within the bar. They usually share with members in
extra appropriations for books, and in the privilege of mailing
documents at the public expense.
[Those Counties not enumerated in this list form hut one
District. Fulton and Hamilton form one District.]
ALBANY COUNTY.—Four Districts.
1. 1st Ward of Albany, Bethlehem, Coeymans, New Scotland,
Rensselaerville, and Westerlo.
2. 9th and 10th Wards of Albany, Bern, Guilderland, and Knox.
3. 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 6tli, and 8th Wards of Albany.
4. 7th Ward of Albany and Watervliet.
ALLEGANY COUNTY.—Two Districts.
1. Allen, Almond, Angelica, Belfast, Birdsall, Burns, Caneadea,
Centerville, Granger, Grove, Hume, New Hudson, Kushford,
and West Almond.
2. Alfred, Alma, Amity, Andover, Bolivar, Clarksville, Cuba,
Friendship, Genesee, Independence, Scio, Ward, Wellsville,
Willing, and Wirt.
CATTARAUGUS COUNTY.—Two Districts.
1. Allegany, Ashford, Carrolton, Elgin, Farmersville, Franklin-
ville, Freedom, Hinsdale, Humphrey, Ischua,
Olean, Portville, and Yorkshire.