in the spring of 1819, at Whitesville.1 The first religious meeting was held at the house of Sam’l
S. White, by Rev. Daniel Babcock, (Seventh Day Bap.,) Jan. 1, 1820.2
NTEW ISUDSOSi—was formed from Rushford, April 10, 1825, as “Haight.” Its name Was
changed April 4,1837. It lies upon the w. border of the co., a little n. of the center. The surface
is a hilly upland, broken by valleys extending n. e. and s. w. The principal streams are Black,
Oil and Rush Creeks. The soil is a gravelly or clayey loam. McGrawville, (New Hudson
p. o.,) on the n. line, contains a church, 2 sawmills, and 20 dwellings; NTew Hudson Cor-
ners, (Black Creek p. o.,) in the s. part, contains 2 churches and 30 dwellings. Nortli Val¬
ley is a hamlet near McGrawville. The first settlement was made on Lot 49, in the s. part, by
Spencer Lyon, from Waterbury,'Vt., in 1820.3 The first religious meeting was held by Rev.
James Eastwood, (M. E.,) at his own house, in 1821. The first church (Presb.) was formed with 6
members, by Rev. Robert Hubbard, June 4, 1822/
RIISHFOR©—was formed from Caneadea, March 8, 1816. New Hudson was taken off in
1825. It lies upon the w. border of the co., n. of the center. Its surface is a hilly upland, divided
into two distinct districts by Caneadea Creek, which flows e. through near the center. The
valleys of several smaller streams, tributaries of the Caneadea, divide the highlands into narrow
ridges. The soil is a shaly loam underlaid by hardpan. Quarries of building stone, several
sulphur springs, and a brown mineral paint resembling ocher are found in town. A woolen
factory upon Caneadea Creek manufactures about 12,000 yds. of cloth annually; and a pineapple
cheese factory turns out 70,000 lbs. of cheese annually. Rushford; (p.v.,) at the center of the
town, contains 5 churches, the Rushford Academy, and several manufacturing establishments.
Pop. 654. Fast Rushford (p.v.) contains several mills and 40 dwellings. The first settle¬
ment was made on Lot 30, in 1808, by Enos Gary, from Yt.4 The first religious meeting was held
by Rev. Mr. Sanford, (Bap.,) in 1813; and the first church (Bap.) was formed in 1815, by Rev.
Nathan Peck, a missionary from Boston.6
SCI© —was formed from Angelica, Jan. 31, 1823. A part of Amity was taken off in 1830, a
part of Willing in 1851, and a part of Wellsville in 1855. It is an interior town, lying s. e. of
the center of the county. Its surface is a mountainous upland, the highest summits being 700
to 1,000 ft. above the valleys. The streams are Genesee River and Knight and Vandemark
Creeks. The soil is principally a sandy loam. Scio, (p. v.,) on Genesee River, contains 3 churches,
several mills, and 496 inhabitants. The first settlement was made at the mouth of Knights
Creek, in 1805, by Joseph Knight and his son Silas, from Oneida co.7 The census reports 5
WARD—was formed from Alfred and Amity, Nov. 21,1856. It is an interior town, lying s.e.
of the center of the co. The surface is a hilly upland, the highest summits being 500 to 800’feet
above the valleys. The streams are Philips and Yandemark Creeks. The soil is a clayey loam
upon the hills, and a gravelly loam in the valleys. Plillips Creelt, (p. v.,) in the n. part,
contains 2 churches and 16 dwellings. The first settlement was made in 1817, by Abraham Wald-
ruff, from Ontario co.9 The first church (M. E.) was organized at an early period. There are now
2 churches ; M. E. and Univ.
WEEESTIEEE —was formed from Scio, Andover, and Willing, Nov. 22, 1855. It is an
from New England, were settlers in the town in 1809-10; Devi
Benjamin, from Windsor, Vt., settled on Lot 30, near Rushford
Village, in 1813. Bethiah Belknap, born in the spring of 1810,
and Sam’l Gordon, June 12,1810, were the first births in town;
Wm. Rawson and Nurancy. Swift were the first married, in
1811. Plina Bannister taught the first school, near the center,
in the winter of 1813-14. Levi Benjamin kept the first inn, a little
n. of Rushford Village, in 1813, and Jas. McCall the first store,
at the same place, in 1814. The first sawmill was built by Mat¬
thew P. Cady, on Caneadea Creek, in 1815; and the first grist¬
mill, by Jas. McCall, on the same stream, in 1818.
6 The census reports 4 churches; Bap., Cong.,2M.E.,andUniv
7 Silas Bellamy and Silas Palmer settled in 1809,—the former
at Scio Village and the latter in the N. part of the town. Polly,
daughter of Silas Knight, was the first child born, in 1806, and
the first one that died, in 1808; the first marriage was that of
Silas Bellamy and Betsey Knight, in 1809. The first school was
taught by Lucy Moore, near the village, in 1816. Alfred Jobn
son kept the first inn, in 1821. The first sawmill was erected in
1822, and the first gristmill in 1823, by Benj. Palmer.
8 2 R. C., Cong., Bap., and M. E.
9 Daniel Hart and Hezekiah Ward settled in the N. part, id
1817-18. Geo. Waldruff kept the first inn, at Philips Creek Vil¬
lage, and Joseph Goodrich the first store.
In the spring of the same year John Teater, from Dutchess
co., David Wilson and Stephen Boyce, from Mass., settled in or
near Whitesville. The first child horn was Dugald C. White,
Oct. 23,1819; the first marriage, that of Daniel Remington and
Eliza Eaton, Jan. 1, 1824; and the first death, that of John
Goodridge, Jan. 27,1822. The first school was taught at Whites¬
ville, by Wilson, in the summer of 1£22. Samuel S. White
kept the first inn, in 1827, at Whitesville, and Isaiah W. Green
the first store, at Greens Corners, in 1822. Nath’l Covel erected
a sawmill on Cryder Creek, in 1822; and Jas. Maxwell the first
gristmill, at Spring Mills, in 1820.
The census reports 5 churches; Bap., Seventh Day Bap.,
Presb., M. E., and Univ.
James Eastwood, John C. McKeen, and Jas. Davidson, from
N. II., settled in the s. part in 1821. The first birth was that of
Mary McKeen, in June, 1821; the first marriage, that of Earl
Gould and Catharine Eastwood, in June, 1822. The first school
was taught by Mrs. Graham McKeen, in the summer of 1821. Wm.
Andrews kept the first inn, near Black Creek Corners, in 1826,
and Kelson McCall the first store, near the same place, in 1830.
Tho first sawmill was erected by James Davidson, on Black
Creek, in 1829.
6 Chas. Sniff, Abel Belknap, Amos Rose, and Joshua Wilson,